Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1233425 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1335 on: September 22, 2017, 11:10:33 AM »
It's cute that some backers actually think that stupid FOIP is ever going to be a thing. :laugh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #1336 on: September 22, 2017, 11:32:56 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1337 on: September 22, 2017, 12:06:05 PM »
Even over at r/starcitizen it's all a big joke:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/71s4hj/lets_not_kid_ourselves_evocati_will_find_hundreds/

It doesn't matter what they call it, or what they release as 3.0 part 1. The minute they send any build to Evocati, it's going to leak (just like always). Then the fun begins.

Goons are poised waiting to pounce. I have an article all ready to go. It's only got one line in it so far "Remember back when I said..."  :laugh:

The last I heard from credible sources :

- performance was horrid
- HUGE memory overhead, which also leads to performance issues
- LOTS of known bugs (forget about that shit they're putting in the dev updates)
- game crashes repeatedly
- still can't get seamless transitions to work right
- server doesn't run for more than a few mins without shitting itself when clients connect and go to surface
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:08:05 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1338 on: September 22, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »

So...they went from 26 Must Fix bugs to 7.

How many of the 26 bugs were actually fixed?
How many of the 26 bugs were actually not fixed, recategorized, and placed on the shelf waiting to be fixed another day?
How many new bugs were found while they were supposedly fixing the 26 bugs?

Smoke and mirrors, my Commandos.
It was done by reducing 3.0's scope further so it only has 1 moon (full of copy and paste terrain and little else) and an asteroid base.  Basically, all we saw at the GDC presentation.

kathiley

« Reply #1339 on: September 22, 2017, 01:11:17 PM »

Meanwhile the automagically disappearing issues continues in full swing.

They started removing stuff since the Sept 8th update. This is how they went from a few dozen issues to a hand full.

Im not surprised that many bugs have magically disappeared, there is a ship sale next week.  :toot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/71skxz/origin_x1_on_sale_next_friday_40_50/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1340 on: September 22, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »

Im not surprised that many bugs have magically disappeared, there is a ship sale next week.  :toot:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/71skxz/origin_x1_on_sale_next_friday_40_50/

Yeah, we were just now talking about that in my Discord channel when it popped up on Spectrum.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1341 on: September 22, 2017, 01:37:13 PM »
$40 to $50
That's a bit expensive for just DLC, isn't it?

Greggy_D

« Reply #1342 on: September 22, 2017, 01:41:53 PM »

Yeah, we were just now talking about that in my Discord channel when it popped up on Spectrum.

They are fucking desperate for money at this point.  Finish what is already on your plate, assholes!

ChrisIhao

Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1343 on: September 22, 2017, 03:23:11 PM »

They are fucking desperate for money at this point.  Finish what is already on your plate, assholes!

B... b... but I thought this was an eat all you want for as much as you cant afford event? I want nine of those spikes in case I NEED tokens to buy wierdly expensive ships with lti (considering insurance will probably cost a few bucks a year) down the road. Lti is like really exclusive, considering only 95% of the hundreds of pre-purchased ships are lti so far. I feel special as I dont have to pay insurance later, and I honestly dont think I will contribute in dooming the game as there will be no steady income for cig when the game launches. Who knows, perhaps I will get a meet and greet with Ben if I play my cards right?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 03:24:47 PM by ChrisIhao »

premiumnugz

« Reply #1344 on: September 23, 2017, 07:40:13 AM »
Looks like even the faithful are losing faith now... highly upvoted on Reddit...

nightfire

« Reply #1345 on: September 23, 2017, 09:03:08 AM »
Looks like even the faithful are losing faith now... highly upvoted on Reddit...

:lol: Let's not kid ourselves, shall we? Highly upvoted not because of loss of faith, but because the force of denial and regurgitation of the same old dusty mantras – in short: the grasping at straws in plain sight of the ELE – among the Stupiditens is as strong as ever!

Point in case: the old "now that the foundation is there, things will move at light speed" argument…

and even the worn-out "7 years is still less than most AAA titles" narrative manages to appear in this thread!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1346 on: September 23, 2017, 09:18:40 AM »
Point in case: the old "now that the foundation is there, things will move at light speed" argument…

and even the worn-out "7 years is still less than most AAA titles" narrative manages to appear in this thread!

Yeah, those never get old; and always illicit the usual emotions ---->  :bahgawd: :laugh: :supaburn: :lol: :psyduck:

Motto

« Reply #1347 on: September 24, 2017, 08:33:04 AM »
This is how they get themselves hyped up again and again. It's going to be very disappointing for them. But CIG is clever, selling another concept landbuggy now they claim to have moon(s) to discover. Remember, it's a concept. They've drawn three different pictures, that's all! Nothing more but drawing three pictures. But buy them! Your life will not be complete without them.

nightfire

« Reply #1348 on: September 24, 2017, 01:01:51 PM »
But CIG is clever, selling another concept landbuggy now they claim to have moon(s) to discover.

I object to that. Just because CR acts like a dog that realizes it gets a treat from its backers each time it returns with a wiggling tail and a JPEG in its mouth, doesn't mean that he's "clever" in the strict sense of the word. Maybe he was clever the first few times, but by now it's more like conditioned reflexes. Unfortunately, that applies to his backers too.

Kyrt

« Reply #1349 on: September 24, 2017, 05:59:36 PM »

CIG have had loads of time, money, and even talent, it's good leadership that's lacking. This will all get blamed on Chris Roberts when the dust settles.

I would agree that...based upon what we know...CRs leadership has been less than stellar.

I think he is...or at least was...stuck in the 90s when he made key decisions and having been out of the industries for over ten years he simply underestimated the time and work and resources needed to create SC.

I think he made a huge mistake in choosing CE as the games engine.

I think he chose it because it was the prettiest engine around rather than the engine most suited for the game.

I think CR being CR, he saw the extra funding as a way to bring his vision to life....what began as a crowdfunding exercise to demonstrate to investors and publishers that there was serious interest in a Wing Commander type game changed into visions of the MMO style life simulator he is creating now. Only...he wasn't ready to develop that game, hadn't truly planned for it, and essentially just started making plans on the fly.

And I think that CIG are stuck in a cycle of their own making. They need continued investment from backers to complete that vision.....because the MMO CR wants can easily suck up $2-300 million for development alone, never mind hosting, publishing and marketing costs. I think they are currently in a situation where their income at best matches their spending. I think to keep that income flowing, they are having to spend time and money on ships and items and vehicles so they can be sold to bring in money now, even though they will need to redo those assets later, even though this will extend the development time. And I think this is a large reason why the work on the engine and netcode and flight model...all of which should be locked down preAlpha....is still unfinished.

Development time for ship sales is simply a higher priority because they need the money.

Had CR simply stuck to his guns, released S42 as promised and then just kept developing SC as a separate game, CIG would likely be in a far better spot today.

As it is....I suspect that their future income will vary, will go up and down but generally I think that the trend will be one where their deficit will continue to grow.

3.0 is their last chance I believe to demonstrate real progress for the backers. Even if they do stop issuing refunds, I suspect that won't be enough....I suspect that will simply buy them a few months of development.

CIG need to get their engine finalised. The good news is that that is probably what has been delaying 3.0. The switch to Lumberyard. But whether it is or not, the engine needs to be  finalised, the netcode finished and integrated and the flight model improved.

That way they can start working on S42 and get it released...which will open up a new revenue stream. They could also perhaps look at monetising their engine and the toolkit they have supposedly developed. Of course, I'm not certain how the sub licensing situation would work with Crytek and Amazon.

But blame CR? When he has such a handy scapegoat available?

Remember...we're not just concerned at issues such as why SCs engine and netcode isn't finished or why progress is so slow with no valid excuse coming from CIG.

If we can't support SC with all its flaws, then we must HATE. the project (capitals are important) and must be actively working to destroy the game.

« Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 06:02:49 PM by Kyrt »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk