Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1395524 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1710 on: January 26, 2018, 07:13:18 AM »
I can't wait to hear Derek's take on this schedule.

Interesting that for 3.2 they plan to implement a lot of new gameplay mechanics (mining / salvage / repair and others). I can't see that happening in 2018 Q2 at all - especially given that it's taken them a full year to get a bare bones 3.0 patch out.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1711 on: January 26, 2018, 07:22:30 AM »
I have been mulling over it, and don't yet know what to even write, other than "Yup, they're fucked"

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #1712 on: January 26, 2018, 08:02:53 AM »
The new ATV is pretty interesting

Not just the nervous laughter when the devs talk about getting CR to approve a change, but the fact that so many people have spent so long on what is just an art asset in the game. Don't get me wrong, the Coil looks amazing, but yet again rather than use simple and established techniques and tools to achieve the same effect (maybe at lower quality), they've opted to build a new system from scratch and make everything more complex.

It all goes to reinforce the idea that CR is still just making movies - albeit an interactive one. CIG seem to spend more time getting the art assets right than focusing on gameplay loops or performance. If they ever do release SQ42 it will be the most beautiful interactive space movie ever released, with the occasional moment of awkward combat thrown in between the extended periods of moving from A to B so you can marvel at the art work (presented in slideshow format at 20fps).

jwh1701

« Reply #1713 on: January 26, 2018, 08:07:28 AM »
Here's something that caught my eye, its not all the fidelity but what the name of the program they are using in top right.
Program name is at the 8 second mark.

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:47:21 AM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1714 on: January 26, 2018, 08:13:54 AM »
Here's something that caught my eye, its not all the fidelity but what the name of the program they are using in top right.

I don't see anything. What time stamp?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #1715 on: January 26, 2018, 08:16:48 AM »
I don't see anything. What time stamp?

Right at 8 second mark you can see the program name, I can only guess they are cig dev?

jwh1701

« Reply #1716 on: January 26, 2018, 08:30:02 AM »
Surprised to see the backlash on this thread: not been able to verify the image yet but more of the same from CIG.
Spend 25k and get two F8 Lightning Heavy Fighters  :lol:
And crytek is the greedy one per many on the reddit  :lol:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7t1n8s/all_new_concierge_rewards_up_to_two_free_f8/

Kyrt

« Reply #1717 on: January 26, 2018, 08:37:36 AM »
Program name is at the 8 second mark.

Is it too much trouble to tell us?

jwh1701

« Reply #1718 on: January 26, 2018, 08:42:12 AM »
Is it too much trouble to tell us?

Give me a second, long name take a screen of it and upload. Really wanting anyone with dev to give take on the name and the file extension to see what they thought. Curious if this in anyway infers they have completely moved to ly?

« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 08:50:36 AM by jwh1701 »

Flashwit

« Reply #1719 on: January 26, 2018, 08:43:26 AM »
I will eat my own face if they get both mining and salvaging in in Q2.

jwh1701

« Reply #1720 on: January 26, 2018, 09:10:55 AM »
Trying to find out more on the new perks for big spenders, video talking about it.

Here's people either spent over 25k or others trying to get the perks  :lol:

N0mad

« Reply #1721 on: January 26, 2018, 09:20:31 AM »
Give me a second, long name take a screen of it and upload. Really wanting anyone with dev to give take on the name and the file extension to see what they thought. Curious if this in anyway infers they have completely moved to ly?

I'm not sure what you're getting at. CIG say they're using Lumberyard. That will be the modified CryEngine editor now named Lumberyard. The .cry file extension will be inherited from the original Cryengine code (as are directories named CryEngine etc).

The interesting point which Derek made is whether they have moved the code base to Lumberyard, or simply ported their custom code to the new Editor. Since the first would require them to start with a fresh build of the Lumberyard code, then manually go through every file, copying across any changes that they've made, and only those changes. More likely, to be recognised as Lumberyard simply requires some extra code linking to the Amazon Web Services, so rather than untangle all their code from original CryEngine, they've just added these new AWS features. However, having not attempted to port a modified CryEngine to Lumberyard then this is just speculation on my part.

jwh1701

« Reply #1722 on: January 26, 2018, 09:36:05 AM »
I'm not sure what you're getting at. CIG say they're using Lumberyard. That will be the modified CryEngine editor now named Lumberyard. The .cry file extension will be inherited from the original Cryengine code (as are directories named CryEngine etc).

I do not believe they could have moved to ly in two days if they had done all they claimed to the original engine. If they are using an ly editor would this work with the heavily modified star engine?
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 10:01:44 AM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1723 on: January 26, 2018, 09:56:55 AM »

The LY editor is still backwards compatible.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1724 on: January 26, 2018, 10:23:08 AM »
The new schedule as well as the latest whale backer bribery are amazing. Going to write a short article later today or tomorrow from the notes I have gathered.

Beer4TheBeerGod over on SA

Let's see, so at the end of Q1 2018 they're going to...

Have Customizable Characters (100 tasks)
Polish Helmets (13 tasks)
"Improve" Planetary Generation Tech (1 task)
"Improve" the Flight Control System (1 task)
"Improve" the Personal Manager (1 task)
Balance Weapons (2 tasks)
Overhaul Ship Damage (4 tasks)
Convert Ship AI to Subsumption (62 tasks)
Implement Aegis Reclaimer (56 tasks)
Implement Anvil Terrapin (39 tasks)
Implement MISC Razor (39 tasks)
Implement Tumbril Cyclone (38 tasks)
Implement Ship Weapon: Preacher Distortion Shotgun (29 tasks)
Implement Personal Weapon: Gemini R97 Shotgun (29 tasks)
Improve Netcode (10 tasks)
Optimize Performance (36 tasks)

Let's be clear about this. They've put more thought into laying out how to polish the fucking helmets than they have for improving netcode. It takes the same number of tasks to implement a glorified off-road golf cart than it does to implement a multi-crew ships. They have 100 tasks to implement customization of characters but only 3 tasks combined to improve planetary generation, improve the flight system (their core gameplay element), and improve the user interface.

At this point anyone who reads that and doesn't immediate register that it's a giant pile of steaming bullshit deserves to be fucking scammed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk