Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1393144 times)

Kyrt

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1725 on: January 26, 2018, 11:02:53 AM »
The new schedule as well as the latest whale backer bribery are amazing. Going to write a short article later today or tomorrow from the notes I have gathered.

Beer4TheBeerGod over on SA

To be fair, one task doesn't necessarily equal another, either in complexity, time or required resources or manpower.

OTOH...that does make the list rather arbitrary and meaningless, not to mention it is difficult to think of one "task" for...as an example...improving planetary generation tech short of rolling everything into just one heading and calling it a task.

As it is, based on CIGs progress to date, this list strikes me as overly optimistic for just a years work.  It implies that CIG are going to really increase their productivity but even if all of this goes through, and goes through on time, that essentially leaves 3.4 in Dec18 at the point we where originally supposed to reach with 3.0 in Dec 16.

IF they keep the schedule.

N0mad

« Reply #1726 on: January 26, 2018, 11:27:30 AM »
They can easily keep to the schedule by delivering a bare bones, super simple implementation of each feature. Eg. for mining: procedurally assign asteroids a mineral content (to save storing a mineral worth for EVERY asteroid), use a scanner to determine the content, then have a mining laser animation to transfer the mineral worth to the ship, at the end keep a list of depleted asteroids on the client / server. Simple to implement, not a lot of fun, but at least once it's in the game they can iterate on it. But this is Chris Roberts and CIG, they NEVER choose the easy option, and it will never get into the game this side of 2019.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2018, 11:29:50 AM by N0mad »

jwh1701

« Reply #1727 on: January 26, 2018, 12:58:11 PM »
The LY editor is still backwards compatible.

When I saw the editor I wondered how they could have used LY editor with starengine, I thought with all the claimed changes would they need have created their own build tools. 

Motto

« Reply #1728 on: January 26, 2018, 02:49:15 PM »
The very talented programming at CIG is now rubbing off. Starting with Turbulent. Maybe Amazon will be next indeed  :D

Orgetorix

« Reply #1729 on: January 26, 2018, 11:10:43 PM »
They can easily keep to the schedule by delivering a bare bones, super simple implementation of each feature. Eg. for mining: procedurally assign asteroids a mineral content (to save storing a mineral worth for EVERY asteroid), use a scanner to determine the content, then have a mining laser animation to transfer the mineral worth to the ship, at the end keep a list of depleted asteroids on the client / server. Simple to implement, not a lot of fun, but at least once it's in the game they can iterate on it. But this is Chris Roberts and CIG, they NEVER choose the easy option, and it will never get into the game this side of 2019.

For fidelity's sake they have to start at the subatomic level, and model each subatomic quark, then move up to the atomic level, and model each proton, neutron, and electron. Not too mention the photons, got to have extensive modeling of the photons.

That's the ticket, when you have realistic interaction of all the particles, both as a particle and a wave, only then can true fidelity be reached!

jwh1701

« Reply #1730 on: January 27, 2018, 05:52:53 PM »
Interesting thread, several 3.0 videos on youtube show people losing their ships to theft, people wait around just to steal them.

I like Elite/H as I only play the offline mode and I hate griefing in games. So far with what little there is do to you can
find many videos of people doing all and anything they can to grief other players. I was thinking that this game could
be come one of the biggest grief games similar to ARK: Survival Evolved. I can see players swarming f8's for fun and any
other outrageously overpriced ship they can sell.

I've been curious to see what or any action they will take:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/insurance-and-cheating-the-system/916092

StanTheMan

« Reply #1731 on: January 27, 2018, 07:42:42 PM »
Interesting thread, several 3.0 videos on youtube show people losing their ships to theft, people wait around just to steal them.

I like Elite/H as I only play the offline mode and I hate griefing in games. So far with what little there is do to you can
find many videos of people doing all and anything they can to grief other players. I was thinking that this game could
be come one of the biggest grief games similar to ARK: Survival Evolved. I can see players swarming f8's for fun and any
other outrageously overpriced ship they can sell.

I've been curious to see what or any action they will take:

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/insurance-and-cheating-the-system/916092

I love scamming people in MMOs - all in game stuff.

One mans griefing is another mans career choice and where better to learn the hard lesons than in a game and not the real world eh .... :smuggo:

They have no chance of policing Star Citizen from the Real Money Trade business to simple - aggressive takeover of assets.

I don't think you can programme a system to stop me getting Little Billy to lend me his ship or stop him from falling for a ruse - Croberts isn't the only person who can get stuff out of people with a bit of flannel...

I limit my activities to ingame and RMT not trying to get people to give out account details or other out of game stuff, but if it is in game it is fair game to me - even if all encompassing EULAS and TOS try to make "scamming" etc rules of the game. 

I can imagine todays snowflakes (not including PVE players!) are more fragile than those of a decade or so ago so the bleating to CIG would be constant.  Another costly overhead for them to pay for...

jwh1701

« Reply #1732 on: January 27, 2018, 09:01:03 PM »
I love scamming people in MMOs - all in game stuff.

One mans griefing is another mans career choice and where better to learn the hard lesons than in a game and not the real world eh .... :smuggo:

They have no chance of policing Star Citizen from the Real Money Trade business to simple - aggressive takeover of assets.

I don't think you can programme a system to stop me getting Little Billy to lend me his ship or stop him from falling for a ruse - Croberts isn't the only person who can get stuff out of people with a bit of flannel...

I limit my activities to ingame and RMT not trying to get people to give out account details or other out of game stuff, but if it is in game it is fair game to me - even if all encompassing EULAS and TOS try to make "scamming" etc rules of the game. 

I can imagine todays snowflakes (not including PVE players!) are more fragile than those of a decade or so ago so the bleating to CIG would be constant.  Another costly overhead for them to pay for...

Everyone has different ideas on game play, I take the same approach in games as in real life. I can show a video of person handing $1000 dollars worth of cyber rig for me to change in an MMO. Everyone that is a close friend knows that I would never steal or take anything from anyone. Even now with friends I still record when handling items that are very expensive just in case anything should happen.

What I was watching was which I will try to find is guy requested his ship and before he got to it it was stolen, seen two of these kinds of videos. To me that is a bug as no one should be able to take the ship before you can get to the landing pad. Title was something like 130k lost in 5 seconds, I did not see it in bookmarks.

David-2

« Reply #1733 on: January 27, 2018, 10:08:46 PM »
What I was watching was which I will try to find is guy requested his ship and before he got to it it was stolen, seen two of these kinds of videos. To me that is a bug as no one should be able to take the ship before you can get to the landing pad.

I don't see why that isn't the intended and expected behavior, given that since Day 1 you've got to request your ship then run down long hallways and through airlocks and down flights of stairs and then across "tarmac" to get to your ship.  If CIG didn't want people to be able to steal your ship why didn't they implement it so you go to your very own personal "hanger", entering with a keycode, then enter your ship and fly out of the hanger?  I mean, what is your very own personal "hanger" for if not to hold your ships so you can get into them in ease and comfort?

And I may as well say that I don't understand - as I'm not a gamer - the "fun" in waking up in your very own personal ... well, I guess it's called a "wank pod" on reddit ... and then running down corridors and down stairs etc. etc. just to get to order your ship, whereupon you get to run around as I mentioned above.  Each and every time.

A cynic might say that that's because the only thing that reliably works is running around in corridors. I mean, if you look at videos on youtube ... that's pretty much how each and everyone of them spends the first 4-6 minutes. 

It's not like anything actually happens in those corridors.  There isn't anyone to talk to, nothing to see, no thugs to mug you, no whores to proposition you, no food stands to grab a bite to eat before your "mission" ... nothing at all to do except to run around.

Seems pretty boring to me, but as I say, I'm not a gamer.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1734 on: January 28, 2018, 08:30:26 AM »
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 08:32:12 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #1735 on: January 28, 2018, 10:44:20 AM »
Beer4TheBeerGod has updated a list of crucial features CIG have walked back. The most recent being the issue with stolen ships.

Meanwhile, over at the hug box, they're having a collective meltdown over the ship stealing issue

I had been trying to follow the pirate logic for awhile but had no Idea that it was this big a deal to remaining faithful. The link you had earlier to somethingawful they showed a guy who had already bought a domain and setup his whole life around this mechanic. I cannot wait to see the response from CR or whatever official twisting they do for this.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2018, 11:06:49 AM by jwh1701 »

StanTheMan

« Reply #1736 on: January 28, 2018, 11:35:38 AM »
What is the history and role of this Board of Trustees that is mentioned in this Chairman's Club fundraiser  ?

Is there a document / graphic out there detailing all these internal entities/departments and one for the way they have segmented Backers into various niches (eg Concierge) over time ?

David-2

« Reply #1737 on: January 28, 2018, 12:12:38 PM »
This kerfuffle about piracy:  It's almost like they know the game's going to be P2W and they were planning to win without paying.

helimoth

« Reply #1738 on: January 28, 2018, 05:34:44 PM »
This piracy issue begins to really highlight what N0mad pointed out earlier in the thread about super-simple implementations of things. It's a spaceship game; one of the things you expect to be able to do is steal ships and then sell them for profit or grow your fleet or do whatever you want really. You're a space pirate !

So no actual space pirates in the BDSSE then...

jwh1701

« Reply #1739 on: January 28, 2018, 06:55:40 PM »
I always wondered that they would put a stop to because of money. Why would they allow individuals to steal and keep a $1000 or even $100 dollar ship was really hard to believe. I think again Chris over promised and would definitely backpedal. One person could amass a sizeable collection of ships, they could of course implement this via elite's way of loading ships. But I wondered if the backend of the persistence if the game was successful could even handle players having hundreds of ships. Considering the persistence what little was implemented is crashing even now.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk