Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1391465 times)

Spunky Munkee

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1680 on: January 16, 2018, 05:56:51 AM »
1- Because CRoberts is more concerned with the window dressing and appearances, whereas any dev worth their salt would concern themselves with building a solid foundation first.
2- Probably because CRoberts wants constant re-writes and/or re-designs, so ultimately nothing of substance ever gets done.

While this is all true I think that Robbers is engaged in constant ship design is because he has little else to put in front of the Whales. He can keep the coffers full by having the staff labor on this busy work while he has his crack team of lepers trying to crack the code and make his crapfest run at more that 30fps (on a top spec PC). He is not selling a game anymore, he sells digital ships, land and tanks to fools. I guess he figures that as long as he has people"working on it" he cannot be called an out and out scammer, but merely a sorry incompetent boob who wasted countless millions on his pipe dream.

Flashwit

« Reply #1681 on: January 16, 2018, 09:45:09 AM »
It's partially good in a way. Disregarding the salary of the execs, the whales have been providing salaries for hundreds of people over quite a few years in what is generally considered to be a pretty tough industry. Let's just think of it as the Chris Roberts charity project for game developers. The longer he can string this out, the more people will have been provided for.

Thumbs up Chris!

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1682 on: January 16, 2018, 02:32:20 PM »
Oddly enough you would be amazed at how many times the argument has been used" Oh so you just want CIG to fail and see all those people lose their jobs". You know, I don't give a shit about their jobs. If they do an amazing job they just might get the netcode to work better than any before and get this mess playable. I doubt it though. Inevitably the proper course of action which will inevitably happen only after Robbers wastes or collects every last dime of Backer money is that CIG will fold like the circus tent that it is. All the carnies will go back to where they came from and the Backers will be left crying with a citizen card.

krylite

« Reply #1683 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:52 PM »
Yes, this farce needs to end soon. It's causing enough damage to the integrity of the industry as well as undeserved dissing of other games in the genre, particularly ED. Recently there have been troll frustration threads in the ED forum by seeming relative new posters who in their posts just happen to mention SC as a game to look forward to with the impending "doom" of ED, "epic" failure of ED's Beyond etc. I'm beginning to think they could be actually shills or at least shitizens who are so desperate to attempt to derail the morale of ED in order to get some attention back to SC and ultimately more funding tomfoolery, preying on those who are not yet informed of the ponzi machinations of SC. Very very low of CIG-arrets to have shills do this along with the shitizen youtubers over the years in their overall marketing campaign of fakery, fooling and lies. Well, that's expected of the out of control ponzi scam of the worst financial depths SC has become with its very slick expensive trailer ads and techdemos that had fooled so many.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2018, 09:29:43 PM by krylite »

Bubba

« Reply #1684 on: January 16, 2018, 11:29:35 PM »
It can't be good for the employees. This industry is sick in many ways, and the last thing it needs is another shop - or 17 - paying below market wages for perpetual crunch and high turnover. Doubly so if the project is performing like this one: missing milestones, a design that's not optimized for reality, and management that solves these problems by making milestones equal to the state of development on a given date (never miss another!)  and claiming it's just the code that needs optimization (pre-Alpha forever).
There are other jobs in the world of tech that pay much better and are more rewarding than this.

Penny579

« Reply #1685 on: January 17, 2018, 08:29:00 AM »
So basically, v3.X is adding the shit into the techdemo they promised would be in v3.0.  So expect that to be done probably sometime around 2020 or thereabouts.

If CiG lives long enough, that is.

The way i read the original schedule report was.... 

we are like years behind the 3.0 release because of all the extra 'polish', but we just released 3.0 and left half the shit out and its pretty broken... But its a new year now !!! so we need a road map.... because that's the thing we do annually, i mean we haven't thrashed out a plan on how to finish yet or anything, i mean how could we sell jpegs following a plan? clearly alpha knows nothing about game developments

anyways most of the year will be spent putting in the shit that was meant to be in 3.0 in the first place, while this might be the most realistic time line we have put forward yet ... i mean we have given our selves a whole year to finish stuff that we said was 98% done in 2016 so it sounds achievable given the incredibly low hurdle we have set ourselves ... but give it 6 months and you'll find out the schedules where just bullshit to keep the hype up and we will be struggling with critical art reworks, new concepts  well make some lame excuses maybe something about a law suit and then trumpet our achievements that we are now burning down to 3.1 this xmas !!!!! (just in time for a jpeg sales)

and if you get a new premium subscription we will even let you crash the power point tech demo before other backers, you can be all "in'' with the team and we will even let you give us feedback... help us pros 'develop' catch the fine glitches that may slip through the cracks of our exhaustive QA" maybe give you a sneak preview of the 3.2 road map

Penny579

« Reply #1686 on: January 17, 2018, 08:57:27 AM »
X4 might wipe the floor with Mini-PU this year. Egosoft is known for questionable software quality on release day, but they are quicker than CIG in fixing it up.

Did you know that CIG completely removed Area 18 from Pre-Alpha 3.0?

speaking of the X series ... dig up the dev blogs on simulating an economy, its so many lemons before the lemon aid, even at release it was still pretty bitter. Given they have been at it for years the  :siren: goes off for me when CIG think they are going to chuck that bit of highly dynamic programming in.. they are already talking about pricing refinement :wtf: what economy the sever doesn't even last hours, you don't event have a design document on what an economy might look like.

speaking for the speed of development, for a bit i was like the whole travel to a planet seamlessly thing was pretty cool must be real hard... wait space engineers already has this it only cost  me 15 bucks it started after CIG with a a tiny team, it cost a million times less and runs a full simulation at the same ... think SpaceX designed a new rocket from scratch built and tested it and got a rocket to outer space in real life, in less time and for similar budget to star citizen.... really  :wtf:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1687 on: January 18, 2018, 06:25:46 AM »
 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

They're so screwed

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

lurker_404

« Reply #1688 on: January 18, 2018, 11:30:56 AM »
According to the state of the "game", Croberts should rename it "Stanton Wanker"  :smuggo:

N0mad

« Reply #1689 on: January 18, 2018, 10:30:26 PM »
Latest ATV is out and it's a tour of the JPEG factory - literally.

The section on how ships are thought up is especially good around the 20 minute mark.

TLDR; Chris just gets ideas from Star Wars or WW2.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2018, 10:55:58 PM by N0mad »

jwh1701

« Reply #1690 on: January 19, 2018, 07:26:36 AM »
Latest ATV is out and it's a tour of the JPEG factory - literally.

The section on how ships are thought up is especially good around the 20 minute mark.

TLDR; Chris just gets ideas from Star Wars or WW2.

This video is crazy, all these people involved on ships and you don't even have a functioning game.
All these people employed just for ships and they still do not function. They have so many core issues,
persistence, economy, netcode, gazillion missions to create. F42 is seeing what its like to live in a dystopia
CR development society can't be easy.

« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 07:50:10 AM by jwh1701 »

Penny579

« Reply #1691 on: January 19, 2018, 08:31:47 AM »
This video is crazy, all these people involved on ships and you don't even have a functioning game.
All these people employed just for ships and they still do not function. They have so many core issues,
persistence, economy, netcode, gazillion missions to create. F42 is seeing what its like to live in a dystopia
CR development society can't be easy.

Even those without marketing degrees can tell you people buy spaceships, no one wants a jpeg of unfinished netcode

Flashwit

« Reply #1692 on: January 19, 2018, 09:29:28 AM »
Maybe they can start selling something like the land claims, but it's a claim to a higher framerate.

helimoth

« Reply #1693 on: January 20, 2018, 04:29:53 AM »
I remember croberts claiming years ago that for every dollar paid to him would be worth a multiple of that dollar (I don't remember the exact multiple he used but it was like 4x or higher) due to being able to avoid publisher overheads. This means that with the funding total now at $177,000,000 croberts is effectively saying a top studio with a publisher would not be able to create what they have without at least $708,000,000 and upwards of 6 years development time.

I think any publisher after seeing a bill for nearly three-quarters of a billion dollars, dwindling player numbers and no end in sight would have put this sick puppy to sleep a long time ago.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1694 on: January 20, 2018, 06:56:56 AM »
I remember croberts claiming years ago that for every dollar paid to him would be worth a multiple of that dollar (I don't remember the exact multiple he used but it was like 4x or higher) due to being able to avoid publisher overheads. This means that with the funding total now at $177,000,000 croberts is effectively saying a top studio with a publisher would not be able to create what they have without at least $708,000,000 and upwards of 6 years development time.

I think any publisher after seeing a bill for nearly three-quarters of a billion dollars, dwindling player numbers and no end in sight would have put this sick puppy to sleep a long time ago.

Chris Roberts: I can be more profitable than AAA games on a fifth of sales
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk