Author Topic: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.  (Read 1228565 times)

Kyrt

Re: Star Citizen - The E.L.E.
« Reply #1470 on: October 03, 2017, 08:37:38 PM »
How the hell do they think they're going to get 40 people in an abomination that can't run more than 8 clients without falling over?  :cripes: And NONE of that shit is in the game, there's NO mechanics for it etc. Six years + $160M later.

Wouldn't the feasibility of a lot of this depend on how the netcode they (supposedly) will be adding via 3.1works? And given that gameplay mechanics is still due to be implemented, surely there exists at least the possibility that tje mechanics for this vision will also be added?

What I got from this was that he is seeing a different role for a MMO raid leader than is traditional. One where he doesn't even take part in the fight but acts as a strategic overseer.

That sounds like an interesting idea. But 40 ship raids sounds less viable than 40 man raids...MMOs are moving towards 10 men groups for a reaaon...and it sounds about as much fun as CRs take on cargo handling.

But it sounds churlish to complain about the lack of mechanics when these are still being worked on or to point out hiw such a vision os incompatible with the current netcode when that netcode is due to be replaced when 3.1 launches....unless its delayed again

nightfire

« Reply #1471 on: October 04, 2017, 12:59:32 AM »

Wouldn't the feasibility of a lot of this depend on how the netcode they (supposedly) will be adding via 3.1works?
One of the statements most widespread, and most taken for granted in 2016, was this: new netcode to come in 3.0.

Now that one of the most important, most talked about features already isn't scheduled for this release anymore, I wouldn't hold my breath for the netcode to be in 3.1. My bet is that we'll see the same when 3.1 is on the table, with the netcode being pushed back to another future release again.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1472 on: October 04, 2017, 01:52:14 AM »
It's just a little bit late to be talking about replacing the netcode when that should have been sorted out very early on, then the game mechanics and then the art.

Oh no Chris Robbers is such a visionary.

He operates under special rules that can only be understood in the vacuum between his two ears.
It is called "THE COMPLETION BACKWARD PRINCIPLE" Under this principle we build the game backwards. First we collect countless millions of dollars from enthusiastic cultists. Then we do artwork and continue to collect more money even after declaring that he has all the money he needed for the games development. Then we buy space doors and jet around the globe a lot. Every game needs space doors. The last thing we need to look at is actual gameplay and the netcode to allow it to function on the web, I mean don't let it worry you that you built a game with far too many pixels and way too much fidelity. If we wait long enough for the internet and computers to catch up the the space between Chris Robbers ears the game will work awesome. Just keep those millions flowing at breakneck speed and you will get a game... eventually.... like after we achieve light speed travel. By then Star Citizen will be playable on your cell phone.

Thats an Idea. Have Chris pitch the game to be playable on his very own handheld portable that you can hook to your monitor. We can call it "THE MOBILE COMMANDER". Then he can start a crowdfunding campaign to develop this mobile gaming system to handle this game. It will be awesome, you can plug your 3D headset into it and dogfight from the loo. You can even hook it up to your bidet so when your character gets cleaned up you will too! The game will be necessarily delayed but will enjoy parallel development. Chris will need to build new factories in 6 countries, all of which offer him incentives. It will be awesome.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 01:54:44 AM by Spunky Munkee »

Motto

« Reply #1473 on: October 04, 2017, 05:46:02 AM »
So maybe this thread Where is the promised SQ42 schedule report? will get some people to wake up? Answer:

Ok. I'm going to explain this slowly in S.T.E.P.S. for people to fully understand:

1 Squadron 42 uses the SC Lumberyard variant engine, which is not complete.
2 Squadron 42 uses AI scripting code which is not complete.
3 Squadron 42 uses item2.0 which has not been Alpha tested yet.
4 Squadron 42 uses finished assets that have completed testing in the SC universe using the completed i2.0 and SCa4.0 assets.
5 Squadron 42 cannot be released prior to finalization of all of the features of SC that are going into it.
6 Expecting Squadron 42 to just suddenly materialize out of thin air when they can't even keep a single player instance running for more than 3 minutes is dumb.
7 Squadron 42 is a derivative product of the finished product of Star Citizen.
8 Squadron 42 uses world and system resources that haven't been fully built yet because they don't want to spend a couple million rebuilding them if they have to change a lot of code systems that those assets require.
9 I'm not fucking joking, Squadron 42 will not come out before the basic feature set (including mining, gas collection, search and rescue, deep scanning... etc) are finished for the aPU at the very least and likely won't come out until they're sure they have a "finished product".
10 Squadron 42's "release schedule" is literally the same alpha path as Star Citizen's release schedule.

and #11 is "We're going to be given access to most of the features of Squadron42 within the alpha testing universe in one form or another, they just won't be in a progressive linear storyline"

So those hoping/guessing/betting that Shitizen Con will reveal SQ42 progress probably had a rude awakening  :D

Now, wasn't it Chris who stated that they have enough money to complete SQ42 and from there on finish the rest of Star Citizen with the money they would make on SQ42?
« Last Edit: October 04, 2017, 05:48:00 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1474 on: October 04, 2017, 05:51:17 AM »
Yeah, it's a foregone conclusion that there is no way SQ42 will ever see the light of day, before they finish all the Star Citizen engine and features.

They are probably going to be doing a trailer at CC2017, seeing as they don't have anything new, having blown their load at the disastrous GC2017 already. They lost the momentum there.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1475 on: October 04, 2017, 07:39:30 AM »
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5986829&viewfull=1#post5986829
Quote from: Zetta;5986829
Any ideas why CIG have moved the larger game packages out of public view? Apparently you can still see them if you're logged in and have dropped over $1000.
Seems a bit late in the day to become self-concious of how much you're selling jpegs for...
They seem to aim for new people now, who get scared by a "video game" with $15000 dollar packages on the website.

That's telling.

It should be noted that other cults don't have their "higher rank" packages in public either. You always start with a "free personality test", then spend a few bucks on some NLP book for starting the brainwashing, before slowly playing ten-fold, hundred-fold and so on for "workshops", "courses" and stuff.

David-2

« Reply #1476 on: October 04, 2017, 10:26:41 AM »
You always start with a "free personality test", ...

Oh! I see what you're doing there!!!  Good one!   :golfclap:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1477 on: October 05, 2017, 12:57:57 PM »
https://forums.frontier.co.uk/showthread.php?p=5986829&viewfull=1#post5986829
Quote from: Zetta;5986829
Any ideas why CIG have moved the larger game packages out of public view? Apparently you can still see them if you're logged in and have dropped over $1000.
Seems a bit late in the day to become self-concious of how much you're selling jpegs for...
They seem to aim for new people now, who get scared by a "video game" with $15000 dollar packages on the website.

That's telling.

Yeah, I have been following this since the news broke yesterday. So far, NONE of my sources have any idea wtf is going on with that.

It should be noted that other cults don't have their "higher rank" packages in public either. You always start with a "free personality test", then spend a few bucks on some NLP book for starting the brainwashing, before slowly playing ten-fold, hundred-fold and so on for "workshops", "courses" and stuff.

:lol: I almost choked on my cornflakes   :vince:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1478 on: October 05, 2017, 01:03:56 PM »
Maybe they are trying to give the current whales are more exclusive feeling  (you can only see us when you are like us) whilst at the same time trying to remove the obvious idiocy of selling items that cost thousands of dollars for a game that after six years is still in pre-alpha? Try not to scare potential new customers away, just show them what fancy stuff awaits for only a buck 99.

FredBloggs

« Reply #1479 on: October 05, 2017, 05:10:15 PM »
Maybe they are trying to give the current whales are more exclusive feeling  (you can only see us when you are like us) whilst at the same time trying to remove the obvious idiocy of selling items that cost thousands of dollars for a game that after six years is still in pre-alpha? Try not to scare potential new customers away, just show them what fancy stuff awaits for only a buck 99.

I'll give you tree fiddy for Star Citizen...

N0mad

« Reply #1480 on: October 06, 2017, 01:35:29 AM »
Latest ATV:

:dance: :dance:  EVOCATI IS A GO  :dance: :dance:

Sounds like the first step towards the MVP - I can't wait to hear the first leaks. I wonder if they got around to fixing ramps?
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 04:18:19 AM by N0mad »

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1481 on: October 06, 2017, 02:03:38 AM »
Latest ATV:

:dance: :dance:  EVOCATI IS A GO  :dance: :dance:

Sounds like the first step towards the MVP - I can't wait to hear the first leaks. I wonder if they got around to fixing ramps?
Likely bumped to 4.0, to be bumped to 5.0, then bumped to 6.0...

Motto

« Reply #1482 on: October 06, 2017, 04:16:54 AM »
So, what's their strategy? They release it to the Avacodo's fully knowing that it's broken as hell. They wait on the first results where it all crashes. They acknowledge the hard work of the Avocado's whilst stating the obvious that this is still a pre-alpha release and then at Shitizen Con say "Look, there is 3.0! Told you so. See, nothing to worry about, we are making progress. Now, have you seen our latest picture sale?"
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:24:19 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1483 on: October 06, 2017, 07:08:22 AM »
A few days ago, CIG also started removing some high value items from public view on the https://robertsspaceindustries.com/pledge/game-packages/store page, making them only accessible to $1K+ whales.

I guess a game with $15K package looks bad? Completionist removed

$2.7K, $5K, $10K, $15K - all now removed.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 07:25:02 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1484 on: October 06, 2017, 07:28:16 AM »

Face and posture of a man, badly broken, defeated & resigned to his fate. He is going back into the history books. I'm hoping for jail time.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk