Author Topic: Star Citizen Breaking News  (Read 286551 times)

Spunky Munkee

Re: Star Citizen - Breaking News
« Reply #495 on: December 17, 2018, 09:13:22 PM »
The problem is that S42 may be more an idea than a game. Yeah there are assets and contracts with actors but we dont know what he promised to pay them, how much work if any has been done to use these game assets to create battle scenarios and missions, if the script is done, if the script and story are bullocks. We know nothing other than that many backers paid the extra $15 to buy it. Knowing Robbers past history and the poor reputation he has among publishers and all game studios I wouldn't count on publishers to be chomping at the bit to buy into Robbers incomplete grossly mismanaged failing dream project.

If it was anywhere close to completion why wouldn't Robbers release it to get more attention for Star Citizen? If it was good there could be no better advertising. The fact that he doesnt say anything about S42 is probably a strong indicator that it's on the back burner, if not cancelled internally.

Why do I say mismanaged? Well if he has had to take loans and sell stock he in all likelyhood needs money. Obviously as Robbers said himself that if he needed money to complete SC he would push S42 to completion and use the sales revenue to fund ongoing work on SC. You dont see S42 though. A smart buisnessman would have prioritized at least a limited release to generate income and buzz but he has failed to take advantage of this. It's not as if he is unaware of the potential this release can have on support. It is more that they are far from completing S42.

Who knows? Perhaps he cannot afford to pay the actors the salaries he promised for their participation. Regardless for one reason or another he seemingly cannot deiver on any of his projects. This is nothing new for Chris Robbers, he left his last dream game project in shambles for Microsoft to sort out,. There will be no Microsoft bailout this time. Regardless if it is his original timeline or his multiple revised timelines, he simply cannot get this pig to fly.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 01:24:05 AM by Spunky Munkee »

StanTheMan

« Reply #496 on: December 17, 2018, 09:22:50 PM »
BREAKING NEWS

Is CIG looking to sell?

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1074708047874936833

As he joined in May he has had time to get his feet under the table..so we might expect things to happen sooner rather than later.

Do you think his appointment  is related  to Erin stepping back from his role ?

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #497 on: December 17, 2018, 09:29:55 PM »
The problem is that S42 may be more an idea than a game. Yeah there are assets and contracts with actors but we dont know what he promised to pay them, how much work

The fact the Squander 42 roadmap has been delayed year after year tells me it is so far away that they don't feel comfortable letting the backers see how long it is going to be, even with their bullshit timelines that will inevitably slip further and further away.

I really can't see a situation where Squander 42 has been kept under wraps and is actually a lot further along than we think, Roberts would have had some gameplay at CitizenScam this year and they would be showing it off all the time in their numerous media channels as an example of their progress.

If the project relies on Squander 42 for its financial survival then it is doomed, best case scenario they will rush it out to bring in some cash and it will get panned.

N0mad

« Reply #498 on: December 18, 2018, 03:16:33 AM »
The fact the Squander 42 roadmap has been delayed year after year tells me it is so far away that they don't feel comfortable letting the backers see how long it is going to be, even with their bullshit timelines that will inevitably slip further and further away.

That's not my point. SQ42 is no where to be seen because Chris is so obsessed with the PU and building the next shiny ship / tech demo. Instead of trying to build, then rework ships all the time or struggle with complex broken physics and netcode: SQ42 could be scaled down to be a much more traditional single player level based game. A publisher could get that out of the door in a couple of years fairly easily. The problem is that it wouldn't fit the "vision".

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #499 on: December 18, 2018, 03:57:38 AM »
OK a copmpany with a good managment team could possibly pull the pieces together and do something with the skeleton Robbers has. Would they? I don't know. Somehow I doubt it. Microsoft bought out Robbers from the Freelancer debacle because they had invested a considerable amout of capital in the project. Unless Robbers had secretly accepted 50 million dollars of capital from outside entities and they thought it prudent to toss more money in the bonfire I dont see it happening. Just my theorycrafting.

It's common sense that if he COULD do it he would release it. It would go a long way towards giving his project a sense of legitimacy, something clearly lacking in the gaming community at large. Personally I dont think they are even close to having their ducks in a row. Aside from that no publisher would have anything to do with Chis Robbers. He has an incredibly bad reputation. I am certain that he would want all kinds of strings and creative control and nobody would agree to his conditions.
Could it happen in a perfect world where Chris Robbers has a stroke? Perhaps. Nobody will ever know because that prick will ride this horse till it's shit out every last backer dollar there is to take. Then he will sell retro T shirts to the weepy backers because he has the rights to this failed project. I bet they would buy them too.

The deluxe Chris Robbers commemorative T shirt "I spent my childrens college fund on Star Citizen and got divorced and all I got was this fucking T shirt with Chris Robbers body odor "  "I'll never wash it" declared a former backer as he watched the internet every day for years seaching for news of a publisher looking to buy the rights to the project.

The End.

« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:59:57 AM by Spunky Munkee »

N0mad

« Reply #500 on: December 18, 2018, 04:12:17 AM »
Sure, my theory comes with some big caveats: a) settle with Crytek first, then b) make sure Chris Roberts is no where near it. But it's the only thing of value they have left. There's no way a publisher could rescue the PU - it's too broken. The art assets pretty worthless by themselves (even the ships!), it's unlikely anyone would be interested in the Lumberyard codebase changes - it's all broken. The only way to get value out of the project, in my opinion, is to do exactly what Microsoft did with Freelancer: scale it all back to a manageable single player game and kick Chris Roberts out.

Motto

« Reply #501 on: December 18, 2018, 05:17:21 AM »
It was my understanding that Squander 42 was to be build on the same foundation as SC. Since that foundation is still missing in a decent state, another party would have to build SQ42 from scratch. Why would they waste money on the IP for SQ42? They can just build a similar game. Starting today.

N0mad

« Reply #502 on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:07 AM »
It was my understanding that Squander 42 was to be build on the same foundation as SC.

Which is pretty much BS and an excuse for CIG not to work on it. No game dev has ever set out to make a single player game by making an MMO first.

Nor would it have to be built "from scratch", you can take all the existing art assets and build a more traditional single player Cryengine "level" out of it. You can chuck all the broken physics, netcode and AI - just use the Cryengine default implementations instead.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 09:34:26 AM by N0mad »

Motto

« Reply #503 on: December 18, 2018, 09:42:21 AM »
No game dev has ever set out to make a single player game by making an MMO first.

I wouldn't state that so boldly. That's just something Chris might actually do  :azn:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #504 on: December 18, 2018, 01:43:16 PM »
Aside from the delayed filing of this investment and new director appointment, it's also curious that even though Dan was appointed on Mar 23, 2018, when they filed their 2017 financial statement (my review) on Oct 26, 2018, they never listed him as a director. This is required by law; and yet somehow the auditors missed or deliberately omitted this. Had he been listed, we would have known about his appointment back in Oct.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #505 on: December 18, 2018, 01:59:00 PM »
Aside from the delayed filing of this investment and new director appointment, it's also curious that even though Dan was appointed on Mar 23, 2018, when they filed their 2017 financial statement (my review) on Oct 26, 2018, they never listed him as a director. This is required by law; and yet somehow the auditors missed or deliberately omitted this. Had he been listed, we would have known about his appointment back in Oct.

Mistakes or omissions on CIG filings? That's not like them!

krylite

« Reply #506 on: December 18, 2018, 03:44:33 PM »

Could it happen in a perfect world where Chris Robbers has a stroke? Perhaps. Nobody will ever know because that prick will ride this horse till it's shit out every last backer dollar there is to take. Then he will sell retro T shirts to the weepy backers because he has the rights to this failed project. I bet they would buy them too.

The deluxe Chris Robbers commemorative T shirt "I spent my childrens college fund on Star Citizen and got divorced and all I got was this fucking T shirt with Chris Robbers body odor "  "I'll never wash it" declared a former backer as he watched the internet every day for years seaching for news of a publisher looking to buy the rights to the project.

The End.

I can just see it , ten years from now, after all the fracus from the collapse has settled. CR continues to siphon the backers with the cutsenes of SQ42 and the genre actors sold as a semi-"interactive" Steam video movie. Then steam comments by former backers and shitizens still blaming goons, "DS was right" and this site, and possibly even FDev! for SC's failure, lol.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 03:49:24 PM by krylite »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #507 on: December 20, 2018, 11:06:15 AM »
Squander 42 roadmap is released, shows a target of Q2 2020 for beta.... Yeah...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #508 on: December 20, 2018, 11:36:59 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #509 on: December 20, 2018, 11:43:01 AM »
And the final shoe drops. CIG raised $46M this past Summer from investors.

http://gamasutra.com/view/news/333313/Cloud_Imperium_raises_46M_from_private_investment.php

They have updated the UK listing showing that Ezer Eli KLEIN, one of the officers of Infatrade (the investor of this deal) is now a director of CIG, joining industry heavyweight Dan Offner who I revealed earlier this week.

https://beta.companieshouse.gov.uk/company/08815227/officers

Remember when I said Dan was either an investor or representing the investors?

So there you have it folks, nothing further can be said here, other than this is history repeating itself.

I can't say I'm surprised because for YEARS I've been saying THIS was going to happen.

Chris Roberts also wrote a blog about the news. Funny how I get to break all these news, long before he does. So much for transparency. Also, this happen back in May!!

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/letter-from-the-chairman/investment-news

They have also now published their financials. Funny how investors can make you do things. Chris Roberts burned through ALL this money without ever shipping a SINGLE one of the two products. The project - as I had predicted - is running in the RED. Hence investors.

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cfo-comment-2012-2017-financials

https://cloudimperiumgames.com/blog/corporate/cloud-imperium-investment-fact-sheet

And the Squadron 42 roadmap is now online.

Q2/2020 for the BETA. I can't even stop laughing.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/2-Squadron-42/info

There you have it folks.

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 06:26:22 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk