Author Topic: Star Citizen Breaking News  (Read 281156 times)

Spunky Munkee

Re: Star Citizen - Breaking News
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2017, 02:49:39 AM »
And when the collapse does come, the SC sub Reddit will be full of whales complaining that they never expected this to happen and crying about how much money they lost. And halfway down the comment section, amid the salt and anguish, will be the lone Joe Blobers Alt calmly and smugly telling them: They just don't understand game development.

And this would be glorious! I bet they would still have a tight reign on Goons preventing us from teasing them. I know I can't post anything on any of their subreddits. They don't want to hear anything but their own bullshit. If they are so secure in their beliefs in that Star Citizen will be completed and be great why do they feel the need to lock out any dissent? They sound very insecure. They really have good reason to be. While many put on a brave face I bet many are shitting their pants. They were hoping to see something much better. Now that the truth is pissing down their backs they know that it is unlikely that any quick fix is coming.  The path towards completion will be much longer than they truly anticipated. They are so involved that they cannot possibly see living without this project in their lives.

It is probably becoming very difficult to get new backers since most of the potential backers have either sworn SC off after learning about it or have already gotten refunds. The pool of possible backers was never very large but the shenanigans  surrounding this project has poisoned the waters. I bet they are hoping that the middle aged men who live under a rock would give it a spin as they have some fun money and time on their hands at night. I am not sure how many non gamer middle aged men would pony up $65 on a whim. Roberts probably has done the market research and can see the noose tightening hence the land sales scheme.

We are going to help this mess to collapse. It's like the old El Producto commercials I used to see during the Wide Wide World of Sports with Howard Cosell "Were gonna get ya, You know were gonna getcha". (Now I dated myself.)

Off the subject, boy it seems that players have to spend an awful lot of time flipping through menus on that wrist thingy. So many more menus and things to deal with, not fun, simply more work. It's not bad enough that many people have to use their smart phone all day long, now they have a game and instead of enjoying some escapism they have to deal with a wrist mounted smart phone with tons of menus to manage. Sadly these players still need to go to a console to call down a ship. In current times you can use your phone to have a supermarket  do your shopping for you but in Robbersworld people have to go to  a kiosk to get their ships. More proof that this guy has no vision, he just steals what he likes from other franchises yet leaves common sense at the door. Couldn't you just have cargo loaded, have the ship fuelled and delivered to a gate of your choosing? Makes sense to me. Just another example of how the Robbers dictatorship fails the backers.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2017, 03:23:50 AM »
I read all of that, and I agree.  :eyepop:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Greggy_D

« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2017, 08:33:29 AM »

I put it to you that they have no gameplay to show.

It's because all of the basic, foundational mechanics are horribly broken.

N0mad

« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2017, 09:48:18 AM »

After the inevitable collapse, this is one area where a lot of analysis will take place (also the management style / financials / marketing strategy / lack of experience etc). Derek will know all about this, and there are plenty of good GDC talks about this on Youtube. A game needs to nail down their core gameplay loops early on and make it really fun and appealing. For FPS shooters this would be running / jumping / aiming / shooting, for a space game it would be flying, manoeuvring, aiming, shooting etc. Beyond that there are further loops for missions / progression etc. The core loop, the thing the player will be doing repetitively has to feel good and fun. The problem is that SC never really looked at the game this way. What is the core gameplay for the game? is it a first person shooter, if so where is this aspect in 3.0? is it a space shooter? but the ship flight mechanics look dreadful and shooting an enemy ship the size of a few pixels worked in the 90s but does it still work now? Besides, CR has at various stages indicated that it could be: a space sim / FPS / survival game / trading game / MMO / car racer etc. Basically all the genres at once. At no stage do they seem to have sat down and say - let's try and concentrate on just one gameplay loop and make it really fun.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #109 on: December 08, 2017, 04:02:36 PM »

After the inevitable collapse, this is one area where a lot of analysis will take place (also the management style / financials / marketing strategy / lack of experience etc). Derek will know all about this, and there are plenty of good GDC talks about this on Youtube. A game needs to nail down their core gameplay loops early on and make it really fun and appealing. For FPS shooters this would be running / jumping / aiming / shooting, for a space game it would be flying, manoeuvring, aiming, shooting etc. Beyond that there are further loops for missions / progression etc. The core loop, the thing the player will be doing repetitively has to feel good and fun. The problem is that SC never really looked at the game this way. What is the core gameplay for the game? is it a first person shooter, if so where is this aspect in 3.0? is it a space shooter? but the ship flight mechanics look dreadful and shooting an enemy ship the size of a few pixels worked in the 90s but does it still work now? Besides, CR has at various stages indicated that it could be: a space sim / FPS / survival game / trading game / MMO / car racer etc. Basically all the genres at once. At no stage do they seem to have sat down and say - let's try and concentrate on just one gameplay loop and make it really fun.

Fun isn't a good metric if you can't define your target audience and what game you actually want to make - or if you goal might actually being doing a wholesome space life simulation.
So while your most likely right for real game projects - Roberts doesn't seems to be bothered by wanting to develop something as trivial as a game. I mean he comes across as the guy who would have tried to implement MS Flight simulator aevionic systems into Battlefield 1942.

krylite

« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2017, 04:51:56 PM »
More proof that this guy has no vision, he just steals what he likes from other franchises yet leaves common sense at the door. Couldn't you just have cargo loaded, have the ship fuelled and delivered to a gate of your choosing? Makes sense to me. Just another example of how the Robbers dictatorship fails the backers.

Fun isn't a good metric if you can't define your target audience and what game you actually want to make - or if you goal might actually being doing a wholesome space life simulation.
So while your most likely right for real game projects - Roberts doesn't seems to be bothered by wanting to develop something as trivial as a game. I mean he comes across as the guy who would have tried to implement MS Flight simulator avionic systems into Battlefield 1942.

Agreed. RSI had their chance to make some workable game i.e. "squadron 42" for $20 million or so. cr doesn't seem to know what he's doing and seems to be trying to reinvent so many wheels at once, ripping off anything in the recent media and even ED when they get a new feature upgrade working. Inadvertent ponzi's usually start out with good intentions , but then gets duplicitous when major mistakes are made and instead of responsible oversight and action to pull the brakes, in SC's case, awful decisions are made to sweep the mistakes under the rug and then to double down on feature creep and bloated marketing just making the ponzi all the more lumbering and precarious in the end.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 04:57:46 PM by krylite »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #111 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:22 AM »
What Clive wrote is absolutely and patently insane. If I didn't read that with my own eyes, I wouldn't have believed it. wow.

It clearly shows - yet another example of why this project is FUBAR.

I am writing an article right now about it. For the record, and in case there was ANY doubt, I called it already.

Meanwhile over at the water cooler and where no cultists are allowed

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #112 on: December 11, 2017, 07:00:31 AM »
Couldn't resist  :D

Probably will get deleted anyways...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #113 on: December 11, 2017, 07:09:26 AM »
Got a link to that? I'd like to witness the hilarity first hand

Motto

« Reply #114 on: December 11, 2017, 07:23:30 AM »
In your watercooler link

It's a comment at the bottom in what's the top comment for now.

Motto

« Reply #115 on: December 11, 2017, 04:33:47 PM »
Ha, somebody agreed  :D

This should be higher up :D

justme

« Reply #116 on: December 12, 2017, 01:51:03 AM »

Never Ending Story  :toot:

nightfire

« Reply #117 on: December 12, 2017, 04:40:54 AM »
Ha, somebody agreed  :D

This should be higher up :D

Proves that at least a few sane people still check into that subreddit from time to time  :D

lurker_404

« Reply #118 on: December 12, 2017, 05:31:53 AM »
Did Clive Johnson just said "We have the wrong engine for SC" ? Am I right?

nightfire

« Reply #119 on: December 12, 2017, 05:43:45 AM »
Did Clive Johnson just said "We have the wrong engine for SC" ? Am I right?
No. He basically just said "we're trying to do things nobody has ever done before". Which more or less amounts to the same thing

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk