Author Topic: Star Citizen Breaking News  (Read 281253 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - Breaking News
« Reply #375 on: June 29, 2018, 05:35:50 PM »

Whelp! Chris is currently live on Twitch and just confirmed (@ 01:01:23) that Squadron 42 is NOT coming in 2018.

Yup. I called that one back in Dec 2017.

UPDATE: YT link @ 1:13:35

« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:38:14 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

N0mad

« Reply #376 on: June 30, 2018, 02:12:34 AM »
Ah yes the SQ42 Roadmap lies excuses:
  • Production, at the moment, doesn't feel comfortable sharing what we have
  • We've got to figure out some way not to give things away
  • If we had a roadmap we've got to release it at the end
  • Not everything is buttoned down
  • Production is very reluctant to release something which may change
  • We've also had to adapt to the new Agile process
  • It's insanely big and ambitious, and probably shouldn't have been done
  • From a confidence standpoint, nobody wants to put something out there which will change again and get criticised
  • The Production team are very sensitive to criticism
  • That's just how game development works - other games have taken just as long
  • We need better long term planning, it's very difficult
  • Erin needs to feel comfortable with it
  • I don't lie, I'm an optimist by nature because I'm a creative type
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 04:38:45 AM by N0mad »

helimoth

« Reply #377 on: June 30, 2018, 04:12:15 AM »

Updated with time stamp

just needs the man in the image to be shopped to have his fingers crossed behind his back :emot-laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #378 on: June 30, 2018, 04:38:51 AM »
Ah yes the SQ42 Roadmap [st]lies[/st] excuses:
  • Production, at the moment, doesn't feel comfortable sharing what we have
  • We've got to figure out some way not to give things away
  • If we had a roadmap we've got to release it at the end
  • Not everything is buttoned down
  • Production is very reluctant to release something which may change
  • We've also had to adapt to the new Agile process
  • It's insanely big and ambitious, and probably shouldn't have been done
  • From a confidence standpoint, nobody wants to put something out there which will change again and get criticised
  • The Production team are very sensitive to criticism
  • That's just how game development works - other games have taken just as long
  • We need better long term planning, it's very difficult
  • Erin needs to feel comfortable with it
  • I don't lie, I'm an optimist by nature because I'm a creative type

YT link @ 49:30

In that same broadcast, there were so many revelations - mostly of defeat and that I was right about the project - that you have to watch the whole thing to fully grasp the gravity of it all. He also basically said that the project, 6 years and $190M later, is "a bit of a mess".
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:55:05 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #379 on: June 30, 2018, 05:05:36 AM »
Well, John Pritchett (IFCS, physics etc) has made it public that he's left the building! This is HUGE!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/ifcs-q-a/1286733

He has a doctorate btw, and is one of the best devs they have. He has been replaced by a jnr dev, Dave Colson, who's only worked on basic FPS games.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 05:37:27 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #380 on: June 30, 2018, 07:20:55 AM »
From SomethingJones over on SA

Star Citizen: Around the Verse
Nov 16, 2017

Todd Papy Game Design
"...and making sure that we can refine that to as small of a list and as concise of a list as what we would consider a MINIMUM VIABLE PRODUCT, to put that out to PTU and to live"

Jake Ross Producer, Texas, since 2014
"...we're gonna review that process, hopefully get a minimal amount of feedback so we can get super close to calling this thing FEATURE COMPLETE"

Robert Gaither ex QA 1 year, Associate Tech Designer 1 year, Texas
"...also we've got all sorts of art that had rotations all over the place, we had to go back and make sure that everything was placed properly on the shelves and that we're having all the FINAL STUFF in the game, all the FINAL ASSETS in the build"

Robert Reininger Senior Tech Designer, 1y 4mo, Texas
"...definitely been challenges going through this, SHOPKEEPERS has been... you know... that's generally our first usage of the SUBSUMPTION engine in general, so getting to know that has been a challenge, the shopkeepers... although... what you're going to see is fairly simple compared to the overall AI you're gonna see, ah... in the LONG RUN is... still just a good learning experience just for us... ahm... getting... getting... some of the other bugs worked out of the system, you know, INTERACTIONS with objects, getting the camera to sit right on the thing you're trying to focus on and trying on... things like that, it's kinda dialing in the knobs so to speak... it's taken its toll and taken its time"

Ashram Kain Technologist, Producer, 1y 4mo, LA
"Interestingly this week we've had to deal with a number of bugs related to how we do occlusion in the cargo grids, for instance if you were to store a ship in your cargo bay, how do we fill up boxes around that ship so we don't block you so you can't keep the ship there BUT still give you the option of storing cargo inside your ship? It's been very interesting stuff"

Janine Irmler Production assistant, Frankfurt 1y 7mo (previously HR for various companies)
"So what has happened recently is that we transitioned from doing SPRINTS to doing WEEKLY REVIEWS to close out the work for missions for 3.0. We already have a lot of missions available in Evocati (note- there are only 5 missions in Evocati right now) but there are a few still missing so what we are doing is, um... wrapping up the outstanding missions and tasks... which we take through JIRA. So the team is working through the outstanding JIRA lists and to keep it organised we define the FOCUS at the beginning of each week as well as which missions we want to review and we are doing the review at the end of each week. This means that we are also doing daily THINGS to ensure we stay on top of BLOCKERS and any issues that could arise, and also to track progress.

Additionally to the reviews we are also doing PLAYTHROUGHS where... DIRECTORS or LEADS for example can experience the missions themselves, they can play them for themselves and provide additional feedback to the team as well on top of the reviews we have... so... this feedback... we get ALL THE FEEDBACK and it really helps the team to improve and balance the missions further.

This is where we are, we have made lots of progress doing all these REVIEWS and PLAYTHROUGHS and now we're just closing out the LAST BITS so we anticipate to be FEATURE COMPLETE in the very near future"

Luke Pressley ex Crytek, Lead Live Design 3y 10mo, UK
"This week we've been focussing on taking the rest of our missions to FINAL, we've got 7 more taken to FEATURE COMPLETE and I think that leaves us with only 4 more to take there, and we're close."

Matthew Lightfoot ex DayZ/Arma, Associate Producer 2y, UK
"Some of the focuses of the IFCS team was supporting the AI team with bugfixing and spline following, so we've managed to close out quite a few bugs now, we've got one left, which is going to extend to next week and before John can start on the spline following tasks"

John Pritchett Senior Physics Programmer, LA, since 2013
"I'm out here at Foundry 42 so that I can work with Andrew Nicholson (Tech Designer, UK, 1y-ish) and David Colson (junior gameplay programmer, 5mo, UK) on FLIGHT MODEL, so helping out with the TUNING and helping David work on... he's.... he's... been working WITH me recently so he's working on the GRAV-LEV SYSTEM and optimising IFCS and things like that"

Andrew Nicholson Tech Designer, 1y-ish, UK
So last week we managed to complete... I managed to complete a complete pass on the ship tunings for the FCM, velocities, to make things a little faster, it took a LONG time to get through all those ships but I'm really pleased with how that's worked out. This week the focus is the GRAV-LEV simulation for the HOVERBIKES and ATMOSPHERIC TUNINGS and the drag simulation in atmospheric flight.

David Colson Junior Gameplay Programmer, 5mo, UK
We've discovered a little bit before we went to Evocati last week, we found that every so often the ships would just loose control, you would roll and yaw to one side and the PLANE would just start spinning and you weren't able to recover very easily. And we quickly discovered that some PERFORMANCE IMPROVEMENTS that were added a few days earlier CAUSED this issue, we weren't exactly sure why but we needed to release to Evocati so we REMOVED the performance improvements which fixed the ships loosing control but, you know, we still wanted these performance improvements so I went back a couple of days later and took a deeper look at these performance improvements and discovered that, you know, I'd made a mistake and there was some... um... FORCE COUPLES in the way the ship rotates that weren't balanced very well as a result of the performance improvements and it meant that the ship tried to make some manoevures it wasn't balanced and it would just uncontrollably SPIN and not be able to get out."

Leo Vansteenkiste ex-Junior Gameplay Programmer 1y, Gameplay Programmer 1y, UK
"Last week on the (Mobiglass) starmap was quite alright, there are still a few issue where we lost the input and we had a few crashes, those have been fixed. The crashes were kind of hard to fix because they are kind of random"

Mark White Production Assistant 2y, UK
"On the starmap we've been doing the last few bugfixes, on Thursday or Friday last week we got it to a point where we're now happy with it on the UI side so that's now this morning gone over to Todd, Todd's viewed it this morning, he's just sent over a list of 5 or 6 bugs. So now we're going to estimate those, get them into the schedule. Once those bugs are done again we'll go back to Todd and hopefully that'll be it and it'll be completely signed off for 3.0 live"

Chad McKinney ex-Software Engineer 1y 6mo, Lead Gameplay Engineer 4mo, LA
So right now there's kind of two things I'm working on right now with PERSISTENCE. One is just general bug fixing, we've done a lot of work to get persistent behaviour into the game, persisting LOCATIONS, persistent INVENTORY, persisting items and port attachment and so on... Now that we're getting these FEATURES into the hands of the BACKERS and the EVOCATI we're starting to see some very RARE and HARD TO CATCH BUGS come in and so spending time tracking those things down, very rare..."

jwh1701

« Reply #381 on: June 30, 2018, 10:02:11 AM »
Well, John Pritchett (IFCS, physics etc) has made it public that he's left the building! This is HUGE!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/50259/thread/ifcs-q-a/1286733

He has a doctorate btw, and is one of the best devs they have. He has been replaced by a jnr dev, Dave Colson, who's only worked on basic FPS games.

I though it was odd they way the flight model information was released and still surprised Chris let him publish it. Just another strange turn of events, I find it hard to believe that his work is close to finished. I have to believe they could break his work considering how much left for them to try and cobble together.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 11:39:45 AM by jwh1701 »

David-2

« Reply #382 on: June 30, 2018, 11:17:21 AM »
I though it was odd they way the flight model information was released and still surprised Chris let it him publish it. Just another strange turn of events, I find it hard to believe that his work is close to finished. I have to believe they could break his work considering how much left for them to try and cobble together.

It's actually pretty clever - for him.  A programmer can't take IP with him to show another company at an interview and that includes design documentation that he's written.  So if you want to show a prospective employer something significant you've done at another company then you show him shipping product - which is obviously impossible in this case 'cause you want to show something that works, or ... you do what he did!

(He'll still have to answer questions about why, exactly, all that cool stuff isn't actually in the product right now, and that'll necessarily conflict with the usual rule that you don't badmouth former employers in an interview, but he's ok there too: Aas long as he stays in the gaming segment of the industry everyone will know what's going on with Roberts Space Industries.)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

jwh1701

« Reply #384 on: June 30, 2018, 02:24:10 PM »
It's actually pretty clever - for him.  A programmer can't take IP with him to show another company at an interview and that includes design documentation that he's written.  So if you want to show a prospective employer something significant you've done at another company then you show him shipping product - which is obviously impossible in this case 'cause you want to show something that works, or ... you do what he did!

(He'll still have to answer questions about why, exactly, all that cool stuff isn't actually in the product right now, and that'll necessarily conflict with the usual rule that you don't badmouth former employers in an interview, but he's ok there too: Aas long as he stays in the gaming segment of the industry everyone will know what's going on with Roberts Space Industries.)

I agree if I was in the position I would have done the same to get recognition but its hard for me to believe that Chris allowed it. Considering they try and repackage gaming techno jargon to inflate jpg sales this would I though be a another one. Chris could have repackaged this and used this to say look at what we are doing better than anyone else on youtube.

jwh1701

« Reply #385 on: June 30, 2018, 02:27:01 PM »
https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1013040712429002752

That's chopped full of future big revelations, feds is really a big one.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2018, 06:44:39 PM by jwh1701 »

StanTheMan

« Reply #386 on: June 30, 2018, 06:23:10 PM »
just needs the man in the image to be shopped to have his fingers crossed behind his back :emot-laugh:

He is already doing a wanker hand signal.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #387 on: July 01, 2018, 02:15:15 PM »

jwh1701

« Reply #388 on: July 04, 2018, 02:19:41 PM »

filled with lots of lols

Elizabeth
Elizabeth
1 hour ago
I said it over on Bored's channel and I'll copy paste here. Because, you know, you are our dear leader and I want a promotion in the Org. :P Love you Montoya!

To all those saying they don't understand the hate or why someone would go to these lengths, we need only to view the life of DS and his not so Smart assault on CIG and Star Citizen. It's purely out of jealousy. Jealous that CIG has been able to succeed in financing their game where he failed. Succeed in creating a product that not only surpasses his but glasses it over with a high yield nuclear warhead. Succeed in creating a buzz, hype, and overall good attitude about Star Citizen. Succeed in creating a thriving company where people actually want to work there. While he's managed to ban everyone who's ever been critical of his "games" off Steam. The whole 2 people who played and they were his most loyal fans. He's managed to be proven wrong so many times when it comes to CIG shutting down because they've ran out of money. And best of all, he's jealous of Chris on a personal level. One because Chris was able to come back to a fan base who waited for him eagerly while DS's return was met with a thud of a turd coming out of a dogs ass.  And two, most likely the best of all he's jealous of Chris having a lovely wife, Sandy. He wants to be Chris, he wants the money, he wants the fans, and he wants desperately to have praise showered down on him.

This is why, this is why there are haters out there. People like DS who can't get over the fact that this game will succeed where their's failed. And after long enough, even the most idiotic person will gain a following of people who are willing to cling to their words like truth. They will follow him because to them, there's no way this awesome game will succeed and thus the opposition must be true and while there are those out there who don't follow the game or are ignorant of it, he's the only one who actively tries every day of his life to bring it down.  And sure, there will be trolls like Goons who want to lead him on but in the end it's funny to them because they are trolls. To his followers he speaks the truth and they need to put and end to SC and CIG. To him, he's an over the hill failed developer who's not being given a second chance because he's that bad. All while his peer has been given a second chance and seized it, to go on to join the successful developers out there.

Jealousy, simple.

lol to believe anyone outside can make it fail

Olsen
Olsen
26 minutes ago
I think it is a psychology thing. These kinds of people are attracted to stuff that is out of the ordinary. They probably get some kind of enjoyment or justification out of trying to make it fail. The more something is loved by fans, the jucier the target is for them. Even if Star Citizen fails, they would instantly go to the next thing they could actively work against. Sounds crazy, because it is.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2018, 02:30:50 PM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #389 on: July 04, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »
He has me on auto-mod on his channel where I posted this.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk