Author Topic: I have a question about finding posts I saw, probably here...  (Read 9200 times)

Spunky Munkee

I have a question about finding posts I saw, probably here...
« on: October 17, 2017, 12:18:26 AM »
I could swear I read that some of the actors originally claimed to be in Squadron 42 are now balking about coming back, they are backing away putting distance between their careers and this project.

Does anybody know where that might be?

I was asked and the search engine is not finding it but oddly it finds little and doesn't seem to go back too far. You would think the word actor would pull posts from pretty early on.
Thanks ahead of time.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: I have a question about finding posts I saw, probably here...
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 04:28:35 AM »
It was probably somewhere else. I don't recall reading that here; and I have no reason to believe that the rumor is true.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 04:34:00 AM »
However, the search function on this forum isn't much help, that is true. Noticed that myself too.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 05:51:26 AM »
However, the search function on this forum isn't much help, that is true. Noticed that myself too.

It's working fine actually. I just tested it and also rebuilt all the indexes - which is why the site was down momentarily. I also installed the latest version of CleanTalk due to some spam messages (which got through) which I noticed you had already deleted.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 05:58:30 AM »
On my last searches, it only came back with six results where there should have been much more. I'll see what happens next time if I am in need of the search again  :D

Scruffpuff

« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:58:52 PM »
I could swear I read that some of the actors originally claimed to be in Squadron 42 are now balking about coming back, they are backing away putting distance between their careers and this project.

I was asked and the search engine is not finding it but oddly it finds little and doesn't seem to go back too far. You would think the word actor would pull posts from pretty early on.
Thanks ahead of time.

This was discussed on the SomethingAwful forums Star Citizen megathread.  Not the current one, but the one before that.  It was a tossup between Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson.

Although I couldn't tell you if the rumor was true at the time, I can say that now none of those actors is coming anywhere near this dumpster fire again with the possible exception of Mark Hamill.

Which is fucking fantastic because none of the work they did with any of those actors is usable in the game.

Remember game developer commandos:  when you're making a game, always motion capture first!  You can work out details like engine, networking, and deciding what the game will actually be later on.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 01:15:43 PM »
Thank you very much. I do believe that this is what I had heard as well.

Scruffpuff

« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:19:48 PM »
Thank you very much. I do believe that this is what I had heard as well.

Here's the exact spot:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3748466&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=2535#post457777276

Originally a quote by EightAce, since removed - but it is quoted here.  The speculation on who it was went on for hundreds of pages.

StanTheMan

« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2017, 04:27:47 PM »

Thanks ahead of time.

This was discussed on the SomethingAwful forums Star Citizen megathread.  Not the current one, but the one before that.  It was a tossup between Gary Oldman and Gillian Anderson.

Although I couldn't tell you if the rumor was true at the time, I can say that now none of those actors is coming anywhere near this dumpster fire again with the possible exception of Mark Hamill.

Which is fucking fantastic because none of the work they did with any of those actors is usable in the game.

Remember game developer commandos:  when you're making a game, always motion capture first!  You can work out details like engine, networking, and deciding what the game will actually be later on.

I think it might have made it into a recent press article ...presumably with the SA forum post as its source.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2017, 06:50:46 PM »
My money's on Gillian Anderson. Gary Oldman doesn't give a shit as long as he's getting paid.

Quote from: TVTropes
Gary Oldman is known for driving a particularly hard bargain. He won't even read most scripts without a hefty offer on the table, and he's known for having almost bowed out of the Harry Potter franchise over salary disputes. Sadly, the makers of Quest for Camelot, and Lost in Space must have been aware of this bargain prior to hiring him. He also decided against credit when he wasn't allowed top billing alongside Anthony Hopkins in Hannibal. Further, if you are not a union production, no amount of money will get you his services, as George Lucas found out when he offered Oldman the role of General Grevious in Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith.

Oldman reportedly only took the role of Sid Vicious in Alex Cox's Sid & Nancy because it would pay well, having no particular fondness for the material or for punk music. That's not to say he didn't give it his all — he lost frightening amounts of weight to match Vicious' heroin-addict figure and reportedly stayed in character some nights after shooting while going clubbing with the cinematographer. That, and he gave the best and most faithful performance of anyone in the film.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk