Author Topic: What exactly is SQ42?  (Read 9533 times)

Star Chip

What exactly is SQ42?
« on: November 10, 2017, 08:39:16 AM »
Is SQ42 the single player? Im keep hearing backers clam SQ42 need to be build on SC tech? Why? This is exactly the opposite of the real game development, MMO (If SC is not MMO then what the hell it is?) is more complex tech than single player, traditionally, MMO tech had to be developed from single player and multi player tech, we had Warcraft before we have WOW, it doesn't make sense to have WOW before Warcraft. The sales of SQ42 will provide fund for SC without the shady liability of selling ships, because every ship will require 10x of its profit to implement into the game in any meaningful way. SQ42 is only a Wing commander with fancier assets with some conjunction on FPS, a single player does not need netcode, economy, seamless translation or other bullshit, everything can be scripted by the team of artist fiddling with spaceships. If SC can sell vapor JPEGs, backers have fun with broken modules, then what make CIG think even a microcode SQ42 won't sell? Imagine the demo they shown at Citicon, what if they put all that effort into SQ42 and call it a day, would that put CIG back on track, would they can be done with ship sale and become a "legit" business? If CR had any sanity left, the Citicon demo will be announcement for the third installment in this franchise, all the redone after redone assets would made 1000x the money back, and they should already be the big dog in this modern space sim genre. They would brought the ED and space engineer by now, if they did things right.

FredBloggs

Re: What exactly is SQ42?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2017, 08:40:58 AM »
A mess

Flashwit

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2017, 09:36:12 AM »
It's just because they started building SC first. SC is where all (ok, most of) the assets are. It holds all the code for AI and flight and ships and pretty much everything. So if they want to have cargo handling (For some reason) in SQ42 they have to wait until SC has implemented it since it's all the same code base/engine/etc. Basically to make SQ42 they're going to take the code of SC and sort of implement SQ42 as a 'singleplayer mode' of SC.

It's pretty much the same game underneath, just without the multiplayer bits and more scripted missions and such.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 12:02:56 PM »
Is SQ42 the single player?

Yes

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/squadron42

Im keep hearing backers clam SQ42 need to be build on SC tech? Why?

Because SQ42 is the same IP and engine (without the networking) used for Star Citizen.

It's pretty standard, and not unheard of. All versions of Battlefield, COD etc, use the same engine. All my games, both single and multiplayer, all use derivatives of my game engine though they all share the same IP.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Aminosaka

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 03:00:15 AM »
I'm looking forward to it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 05:21:04 AM »
We all are. But from what I saw of the vertical slice, I don't have my hopes up to high that 1) it will ever see the light of day 2) that it will be worth the hype
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

helimoth

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 08:13:08 AM »
I'm looking forward to it.

Same. I love the vision for SC, I love the concept of a modern day space sim with all the trappings of an mmorpg. Love the concept of a single player game alongside it to introduce you to all of it.

I don't love the way CIG have broken promises, hidden development and lied to backers. croberts is simply too incompetent of a project manager to head up a team trying to bring out a project as ambitious as sc, especially on the current funds. My solution to it is to call bullshit and demand answers and that's why I post here and not on the star citizen reddit/rsi website because their solution is to keep chucking money on to the fire and act like everything is groovy.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk