Author Topic: 3.0 Progress Watch  (Read 125957 times)

nightfire

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 212
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #210 on: December 14, 2017, 08:21:15 PM »
Any day now  :c00lbert:
According to the 80/20 rule, they might have only spent 20% of the total time for 3.0 so far. Watch out, the 2 last blockers might take the other 80% to fix

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #211 on: December 15, 2017, 06:35:12 AM »
Any day now  :c00lbert:
According to the 80/20 rule, they might have only spent 20% of the total time for 3.0 so far. Watch out, the 2 last blockers might take the other 80% to fix

Oh, you think they're going to fix them, huh?  :allears:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 121
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #212 on: December 15, 2017, 02:11:00 PM »
And really, classifying bugs comes down to a matter of opinion at some point.
Multiple of those criticals could be related to "game runs like shit" but that's not technically a blocker if you don't want it to be.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #213 on: December 15, 2017, 06:36:45 PM »
LOL!!!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Quote
The team worked on the range-based update culling on the server, but this is proving rather difficult and will likely need more coordinated work on the game side to get working properly.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Kyrt

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 176
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #214 on: December 15, 2017, 11:21:23 PM »
LOL!!!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Quote
The team worked on the range-based update culling on the server, but this is proving rather difficult and will likely need more coordinated work on the game side to get working properly.

It's late...I'm tired...and it's a long day....

But isn't "range based data culling" a server side calculation that relies just on accurate location data being passed from the client to the server and the server running a simple rangefinding script?  It's a little unclear how more work on the game side would improve matters

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #215 on: December 16, 2017, 03:50:45 AM »
LOL!!!

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report

Quote
The team worked on the range-based update culling on the server, but this is proving rather difficult and will likely need more coordinated work on the game side to get working properly.

It's late...I'm tired...and it's a long day....

But isn't "range based data culling" a server side calculation that relies just on accurate location data being passed from the client to the server and the server running a simple rangefinding script?  It's a little unclear how more work on the game side would improve matters

No. It's not a script. It's just a calculation that prevents the server from sending data to all clients that it doesn't need to.

e.g. 5 clients within 1km of each other, don't need to know about, nor get packet information about the other 3 clients that are > 1km of each other

That's just a simplified version of the explanation It is very complex, and can break everything - as they are now finding out.

I remember when that was coming in 2.6.1

Quote
2.6.1 FEATURES
So letís talk about this incremental patch 2.6.1 the, itís not a major one but should be there to fix some larger problems with bugs & some balance. Weaponís not firing, Pausing gameplay on Echo 11, improved stability and some Networking improvements:

NETWORK Ė BIND CULLING

I believe currently in a given area the client requests information about everyone on the server, this will on request info that is relevant to your client I think. Hopefully improving Client & server performance.

NETWORK Ė SERIALIZED VARIABLE

This is an improvement really to optimize network bandwidth and help with general efficency.

Variables sent to the server/clients will be detected if they have changed since the last time they were sent. This should also reduce chance for disconnections too.

Both of these are a step towards more clients into an instance & important for the netcode coming in the next major updates.

« Last Edit: December 16, 2017, 07:05:25 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Bubba

  • Jr. Member
  • **
  • Posts: 90
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #216 on: December 16, 2017, 06:52:52 AM »
When your design has people and npcs running around a space station, while ships battle each other outside, it is very complex, and something you design the game around, not what you add as an afterthought.

"Seamless" surface-to-orbit transitions, eh? Well if it's a continuous broken mess, I guess so.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #217 on: December 16, 2017, 07:06:05 AM »
When your design has people and npcs running around a space station, while ships battle each other outside, it is very complex, and something you design the game around, not what you add as an afterthought.

"Seamless" surface-to-orbit transitions, eh? Well if it's a continuous broken mess, I guess so.

They basically started by putting the cart before the horse. In fact, the cart was down hill.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

DemonInvestor

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 162
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #218 on: December 16, 2017, 08:38:53 AM »
When your design has people and npcs running around a space station, while ships battle each other outside, it is very complex, and something you design the game around, not what you add as an afterthought.

"Seamless" surface-to-orbit transitions, eh? Well if it's a continuous broken mess, I guess so.

They basically started by putting the cart before the horse. In fact, the cart was down hill.

A mere cart? Good man you must be blind! It has to be at least the most beautiful horse powered transport you could lay your eyes upon!
Here's a pic on how it would actually look if it was a "cart": http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-PP3HuYlWkCE/Uw95YAuzLAI/AAAAAAAAFHk/3XDksBX9IkA/s1600/Leichenwagen.JPG  :smuggo:

I'd really like to hear what the X-Universe guys have to say about the whole project.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #219 on: December 16, 2017, 02:33:43 PM »
Star Citizen stream clip of the latest patch. It's good. Watch for like 2 mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209753648?t=02h12m31s
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Backer42

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 196
  • Refundian
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #220 on: December 16, 2017, 06:45:08 PM »
Star Citizen stream clip of the latest patch. It's good. Watch for like 2 mins.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/209753648?t=02h12m31s
Yeah, Windows 10 isn't very stable.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #221 on: December 17, 2017, 03:45:53 AM »
Yeah, Windows 10 isn't very stable.

 :vince: :laugh:
 :five: :five: :five:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #222 on: December 22, 2017, 07:48:40 AM »
So the disastrous + broken + 1 yr late 3.0 build that not even Evocati want to be released, is being released to PTU wide. Just like they did with 2.0 in 2015. The same build that broke their recording session which canceled yesterday's SQ42 stream.



Christmas came early!!  :laugh: :supaburn: :five: :thurman: :sandance: :toot:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

  • Full Member
  • ***
  • Posts: 121
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #223 on: December 22, 2017, 09:13:15 AM »
I'm off of work all next week so I may actually fire this crap up. I think it will be the first time I launch the game in more than 2 years.

dsmart

  • Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
  • Hero Member
  • *****
  • Posts: 4915
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: 3.0 Released To PTU
« Reply #224 on: December 22, 2017, 10:11:43 AM »
Yup, it's out at PTU. And the results are, well, amazing. Check the usual watering holes.

Also..

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/944248556977905670
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

 

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk