Author Topic: Maybe a Stupid question  (Read 9852 times)

Star Chip

Maybe a Stupid question
« on: December 08, 2017, 08:16:10 PM »
Just what exactly is Robert space industry. RSI appears as a part of the lore, a fictional origination. Yet RSI is also a trade mark for real business, is this allowed? In my impression RSI is often used interchangeably with CIG, if CIG is name of the company, then what is RSI? When you buy a JPEG, you buy it from CIG or you buy it from RSI? Is CIG and RSI refer to the same company? What kind of legal mess this is going to lead into?
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 08:17:44 PM by Star Chip »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Maybe a Stupid question
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2017, 04:00:18 AM »
Yes it's allowed. There is no law preventing a real business from having a digital/virtual presence.

RSI and CIG are separate companies. Here is a list of them. http://www.dereksmart.org/forums/reply/3698/

There is no legal ambiguity about who you bought from. The entity is in the TOS. http://dereksmart.com/forums/reply/3713

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2017, 11:03:57 AM »
Just what exactly is Robert space industry. RSI appears as a part of the lore, a fictional origination. Yet RSI is also a trade mark for real business, is this allowed? In my impression RSI is often used interchangeably with CIG, if CIG is name of the company, then what is RSI? When you buy a JPEG, you buy it from CIG or you buy it from RSI? Is CIG and RSI refer to the same company? What kind of legal mess this is going to lead into?

Fun fact: Do you know why they had to implement all this complex mocap and FOIP stuff? Well, guess who's going to appear as the in-game CEO of RSI!

Star Chip

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 11:53:37 AM »
What? You mean, Crobert will appear as a Star citizen hero for being CEO of RSI?

nightfire

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 12:21:59 PM »
What? You mean, Crobert will appear as a Star citizen hero for being CEO of RSI?
Well, given his lifestyle and taste for expensive cars and other perks in real life, do you really expect him to grind his way up as a janitor or shop clerk in his own BDSSE? I'm certain he's going to be Chris Roberts in the game as much as he is Chris Roberts here. But since Star Citizen is never going to make it out of alpha, we need not worry about this.

Star Chip

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:58:19 PM »
I never seen any legit maker of fiction put himself into the "universe" as its top dog, this is for fucking 13 yr old narcissistic kids whom imagine they grown up to be super heroes. Even those creator of badly designed merry sues won't straight out make themselves into one. Im getting a nostalgia on those "I have cool toy they gonna play with me like Im the king of the hill hohoho" types form a 170m project that clam to save PC gaming, this is getting cringe as fuck. "Robert space industry" this immediately raise a red flag when I saw it in 2014, it tells what kind people you are dealing with, and one thing for sure is you don't want them to have your money. Any professional interview will end at the moment you say this is a game about me being a bad ass hero.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 09:07:05 PM by Star Chip »

DemonInvestor

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2017, 05:05:00 AM »
I never seen any legit maker of fiction put himself into the "universe" as its top dog, this is for fucking 13 yr old narcissistic kids whom imagine they grown up to be super heroes. Even those creator of badly designed merry sues won't straight out make themselves into one. Im getting a nostalgia on those "I have cool toy they gonna play with me like Im the king of the hill hohoho" types form a 170m project that clam to save PC gaming, this is getting cringe as fuck. "Robert space industry" this immediately raise a red flag when I saw it in 2014, it tells what kind people you are dealing with, and one thing for sure is you don't want them to have your money. Any professional interview will end at the moment you say this is a game about me being a bad ass hero.

You ever heard of Richard "Lord British" Garriott?
So it's honestly more of a question of how much of himself that version would be. Given that the company in game is supposed to be working out fine and be on top, i'd wager it's quite a different person  :smuggo:

helimoth

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:28 AM »
I never seen any legit maker of fiction put himself into the "universe" as its top dog, this is for fucking 13 yr old narcissistic kids whom imagine they grown up to be super heroes.

"Robert space industry" this immediately raise a red flag when I saw it in 2014, it tells what kind people you are dealing with

have to agree. i'd never heard of croberts prior to SC (i knew of wing commander only briefly but never played it) and when i heard of Roberts Space Industries i thought "Hah! Must be some kinda hot-shot 20 year old kid developer" ... then I saw it was some aging old hasbeen and it just felt very cringe.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2017, 06:33:06 AM »
You ever heard of Richard "Lord British" Garriott?

or Derek Smart, Supreme Commander*?  :colbert:

* back in the day, a bunch of hilarious pricks (fucking Goons, man) were calling me Taco Supreme Commander  :yikes:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2017, 11:13:41 AM »
I never seen any legit maker of fiction put himself into the "universe" as its top dog, this is for fucking 13 yr old narcissistic kids whom imagine they grown up to be super heroes.

"Robert space industry" this immediately raise a red flag when I saw it in 2014, it tells what kind people you are dealing with

have to agree. i'd never heard of croberts prior to SC (i knew of wing commander only briefly but never played it) and when i heard of Roberts Space Industries i thought "Hah! Must be some kinda hot-shot 20 year old kid developer" ... then I saw it was some aging old hasbeen and it just felt very cringe.

Careful.

You generally don't want to go around advertising your own ignorance.

Also, you may well be an ageing hasneverbeen.

Motto

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2017, 05:20:33 PM »
Well, as a backer of SC, at least you can't claim a "neverbeenhad"

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk