Author Topic: Squadron 42 Dev Progress Watch  (Read 120967 times)

N0mad

Re: Squadron 42
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2017, 02:20:44 PM »
Seems like a royal fuck up. It's not like they created any hype about it or anything, oh wait.

Paul Younger over at PC Invasion has a good take on it:

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-squadron-42-stream-delayed-24-hours

ecg

« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 03:07:32 PM »
Wow - the peons are in full on revolt  mode in Spectrum - quite amusing to read.

Wonder if the lawsuit could have had something to do with the delay?
« Last Edit: December 21, 2017, 03:18:05 PM by ecg »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 05:03:59 PM »
Nah, the lawsuit has nothing to do with that. As I said on Twitter, it appears to be a combination of my scoop, as well as the fact that today's patch - which they were going to use - broke a bunch of things, and they couldn't fix it time.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 06:39:29 PM »
You can't make such shit up. That's fucking hilarious.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #34 on: December 22, 2017, 12:20:12 AM »
That's a missed opportunity. Once the CIG stream cancellation was public, Derek should have scheduled an ad-hoc livestream with "Experts talk about the Star Citizen lawsuit" catching all the viewers with nothing to do.  :D

nightfire

« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2017, 03:15:44 AM »
You can't make such shit up. That's fucking hilarious.
"What will go wrong this time?" I asked myself before the livestream. I then couldn't believe my eyes when the news dropped. All of this is just too crazy!

Bubba

« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2017, 07:11:39 AM »
So, I wonder if they're still shooting the "Making Of" documentary. In the firesale, the footage recorded and the rights to broadcast them would be hilarious to have. You probably could make a pretty could documentary with them.

Of course, documentary footage by an internal, "all-access" team is something that I would think would be particularly interesting in discovery.

Noztra

« Reply #37 on: December 22, 2017, 04:51:33 PM »
So just watched the vertical slide of S42 and tbh it was underwhelming to say at least.

*Decent graphics.
*Framerate was awefull.
*Everything looked super scripted.
*Music was good, but always on which was anyoing.
*Combat was terrible.
*Flight physics its a nightmare! No inertia or mass whatsoever. Anoys the hell out of me to see a ship flying 300m/s in one direction and then stop on a dime.
*Main character sounds bad!

But worst of all, it just looked SUPER boring!

ecg

« Reply #38 on: December 22, 2017, 05:49:43 PM »
Just watched the Squadron 42 presentation...admit there were some cool moments. Nothing groundbreaking jumped out. Pretty boring and generic overall.
Pre-Alpha WIP, WTF?  This just  proves croberts  has been lying to backer's for years.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 05:54:27 PM by ecg »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #39 on: December 22, 2017, 06:34:53 PM »
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:16:20 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #40 on: December 22, 2017, 06:50:02 PM »
Just saw it. What a heavily edited frankenstein patchwork of scripted cines interspersed with the mo-cap cutscenes. It could kind of look like a "mass effect"-like rpg game, except it's been done already by ME. The cryengine feel was apparent everywhere when walking. What a hastily clumsy edit in of the mobi-glass , and fadeout cuts suspiciously seeming to do more than just changing clothes. Maybe if it was released back in 2014-5 as a standalone for $20mil, it might have been considered ok among all the other crytek shooters out there. In terms of aesthetics, the hand cutter/welder laser tool looked decent and some of the mocap was good (of course been there, done that by every other genre now /w crytek by actually released games :rolleyes: ), but everything else had been pretty much done already ie. NMS, ME, Everspace, even ED. In no way a convincingly working "pre-alpha". Just a bunch of scenes and ports hastily stitched together. There's your $170 mill "so far". If a bugged release ever comes out someday, it'll be forgotten far faster than ME:A   :rip:
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 07:08:07 PM by krylite »

helimoth

« Reply #41 on: December 23, 2017, 02:39:51 AM »
I want them to bring out that silly graphic they made before showing the timelines of those other games and the time they took to complete and then compare how S42 looks now compared to how those games looked. I guarantee none of them 6 years in looked like that shit show that was presented as S42 yesterday.

N0mad

« Reply #42 on: December 23, 2017, 02:50:56 AM »
It was the most fedilicious and immersive walking, talking, going somewhere simulator I've ever seen.

I love the comments on sc/Reddit:

Not nearly enough time spent in the mess. We had to walk through the mess and didn't even grab a tray and sit down for breakfast?
I'm so stoked to walk down hallways for hours

Any actual criticism is downvoted into oblivion, as per usual over there.

To me it looked like yet another tech demo, where everything works as long as you do it all in the predetermined order. Just in case any of the shills need reminding of the difference between a Chris Roberts tech demo and an actual game, show them this:

Noztra

« Reply #43 on: December 23, 2017, 03:11:01 AM »
And how can this still be "pre-alpha"? Shouldn't it be in alpha or beta by now?

Motto

« Reply #44 on: December 23, 2017, 03:22:53 AM »
Clearly you know nothing about game development.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk