Author Topic: Squadron 42 Dev Progress Watch  (Read 122426 times)

jwh1701

Re: Squadron 42 Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2019, 07:58:37 AM »
The A.I focused features or mechanics such as Ship A.I and Companion A.I are still way behind. Without good A.I the gamepaly simply shouldn't be implemented. Might as well play the game like a David Cage project.

Chris claimed they were building something called the Universe Server that would handle 20 million AI, all of the economy. I have yet to see this mentioned anywhere for a very longtime.

wiser3754

« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2019, 11:18:12 AM »
My comment was in relation to Squadron 42, not Star Citizen.

jwh1701

« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2019, 07:55:42 PM »
My comment was in relation to Squadron 42, not Star Citizen.

My thoughts were they claimed they will share assets between the two games since sq42 has multiplayer that its possible the universe server responsible for the ai on both. Since everything they have claimed about AI has yet to show itself.

wiser3754

« Reply #138 on: March 19, 2019, 03:36:03 AM »
My thoughts were they claimed they will share assets between the two games since sq42 has multiplayer that its possible the universe server responsible for the ai on both. Since everything they have claimed about AI has yet to show itself.

Aee you refering to A.I subsumption?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #139 on: March 19, 2019, 05:33:01 AM »

There is no "universe server" - and there never will be. The AI is built into each game just like the graphics, flight model etc. Both games share the same tech, aside from the fact that SQ42 doesn't have multiplayer, and they nerfed co-op back in 2014.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2019, 06:42:54 AM »
There is no "universe server" - and there never will be. The AI is built into each game just like the graphics, flight model etc. Both games share the same tech, aside from the fact that SQ42 doesn't have multiplayer, and they nerfed co-op back in 2014.

I missed the coop being nerfed, as for the universe server and its grand claims I think it was a another lie to hype the game.
But I do enjoy bring it up on reddit whenever possible.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #141 on: March 19, 2019, 08:40:15 AM »
The universe server was supposed to be used to plot how the unseen NPC's go about their daily routine. Counting how many pirates pillage how many items from areas etc. The game servers would then use that information to populate areas with PC's in for gameplay purposes.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #142 on: March 19, 2019, 08:42:35 AM »
I missed the coop being nerfed,

https://www.pcinvasion.com/star-citizen-squadron-42-co-op-plans-slightly-changed/

From the Kickstarter pitch and stretch goals

From the initial Kickstarter pitch video @ 3:35

Not a valid vimeo URL
"You have exactly that Wing Commander experience with the added bonus of some multiplayer and your friends being able to sort of co-op play with you as wingmen when you fly your missions."

croberts 2012 @ 2:28

croberts 2015 (also about private servers)

as for the universe server and its grand claims I think it was a another lie to hype the game.
But I do enjoy bring it up on reddit whenever possible.

One of many.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2019, 08:44:37 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #143 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:09 AM »
The universe server was supposed to be used to plot how the unseen NPC's go about their daily routine. Counting how many pirates pillage how many items from areas etc. The game servers would then use that information to populate areas with PC's in for gameplay purposes.

This is just one quote of many from Chris about what the the universe server was supposed to do.

We actually have a full Universe simulation that runs… we actually don't need it to run on any particular bank of servers. It just actually runs on one server, and it simulates about 20 million AI agents. It simulates the AI agents in a very sort of high-level manner. Ok, you've got a mission, you're going to go from here to here, so it's not simulating it on the fidelity level that you would do when you're actually connected to the game and flying around and doing combat maneuvers or flying from point to point, it's simulating it more in the – here's the jobs, here's the missions, here's the market demand, here's the things that are happening – ok, you've taken a mission to take these goods from planet A to planet B, so you've now taken that job off the market. Now you're going to go from planet A to planet B, so that's just a line trace, that trip's going to take, say, whatever it would be, a day of game time, and then along the way there's a chance that you could fight or run into some pirates, and if they do we resolve that combat. If you're not there, kind of more like a dice roll, but if you are there, in the area, this all gets sort of created, spawned in where you are – you will see the result, the actual combat will end up getting spawned in, and you'll see it play out, and the result of it will be fed back to the Universe server simulation. So the Universe simulation keeps track of all the NPC's. It's the one that's dealing with the goods and the markets, the economy nodes, so on various planets there'll be things that produce, things that consume, so there's sort of a very high-level meta AI that's running on the economy simulation. And from that high-level simulation we can track the sort of movement, the populations, the progress of AI, in a sort of much higher-level, abstracted way, and of course since that doesn't need to be real time, like you flying around, we can time slice it, which is why we can simulate so many agents. So, we're not having to do 20 million agents at 30fps at all, so you can update every single agent maybe every 5 minutes, or every 10 minutes, and that's how you can manage so many of them. In the time scale the Universe happens, it doesn't need to be the same sort of fidelity that we do on the game server, which is, that's the one where, in Arena Commander now, if you connect and dogfight with someone, the game server is what's sort of running you and the other clients running, and it's worrying about simulating where the bullets are, and all the ins and outs of the high fidelity flight and the combat. So, essentially the NPC population is mostly simulated. I think that, on some level, we don't necessarily simulate every individual person on a planet, so like a planet would say, okay, here's your general population, and that general population where missions have to happen could spawn certain number of bounty-hunters, or a certain number of traders or haulers or cargo folks. And then they will take their missions and then that particular ship… we sort of simulate the ships, and the missions that are happening on an individual basis, and then when you're on the planet, there'll be a setup of here's the population going up and down, is it things going well on the planet, then if so, more people are arriving there, population's getting bigger, it's expanding, if things aren't doing so well, it'd be the [opposite] one.

But it's a pretty decent, high-level simulation, and that information is then fed to the system servers and the game servers, and that will help determine, when you're flying around, whether or not you will encounter NPC's or not, and whether those NPC's are fighting each other, in conflict, or what's happening. So, one of the cool things is, we'll have a living breathing world happening, irrelevant of how many actual players are playing. So, there could be only one person playing in the Star Citizen Universe – I mean I hope to god not – but if there was, there would still be a living, breathing Universe, people going about their daily lives, trading, being Pirates, being bounty hunters, being miners, all of that sort of stuff. So I think when that all comes online and comes together, I think it'll be very cool. We currently have the Universe Simulation happening on a server, and we have an interface where there's the communication of kind of what you would, this is the kind of thing you would see if you're in this area, and that's all in progress so…

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #144 on: March 19, 2019, 08:47:26 AM »

I had a hearty good lol about that back in 2017 when I wrote this article

croberts 2012

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

dreamers

https://starcitizen.fandom.com/wiki/Instancing

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #145 on: March 19, 2019, 08:48:18 AM »
This is just one quote of many from Chris about what the the universe server was supposed to do.

Lies. All of it. This has already been proven.

jwh1701

« Reply #146 on: March 19, 2019, 08:54:33 AM »
I had a hearty good lol about that back in 2017 when I wrote this article

croberts 2012

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/comm-link/engineering/12770-Chris-Roberts-On-Multiplayer-Single-Player-And-Instancing

dreamers

https://starcitizen.fandom.com/wiki/Instancing

Great overview and it will be great to see them hit the 1000 players per instance after release in 2020.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #147 on: March 19, 2019, 09:57:31 AM »
Great overview and it will be great to see them hit the 1000 players per instance after release in 2020.

:emot-lol: They can't even sustain 50 players atm

jwh1701

« Reply #148 on: March 19, 2019, 11:08:01 AM »
Lies. All of it. This has already been proven.

That is very upsetting if true since I bought all the green special editoons this week.

jwh1701

« Reply #149 on: March 19, 2019, 11:09:41 AM »
:emot-lol: They can't even sustain 50 players atm

Montoya believes it so it's the gospel, just wish he wouod tell me how many actually work on ships.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk