Author Topic: Star Citizen - Sunk Cost Galaxy  (Read 16081 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen - Sunk Cost Galaxy
« on: December 31, 2017, 06:18:39 AM »
Bootch, one of the bona fide early investors in Star Citizen, has started uploading his video series which chronicle the journey.

PT1

PT2

PT3

PT4

PT5

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Wipeout

Re: Star Citizen - Sunk Cost Galaxy
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 03:35:02 AM »
Anyone know why he has not released a new video in like 2 weeks?  For some reason I thought he had this whole series done before he started to release them.
I liked his videos, they were giving some good information and good points.  he didn't get a gag order, did he?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2018, 02:14:50 PM »
He's still working on them he says.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Wipeout

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2018, 02:56:52 PM »
He's still working on them he says.

Good to hear.

Star Chip

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:52:16 PM »
The best part of the show is out, things only get better from here.

N0mad

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2018, 04:20:39 AM »
To coin a phrase - I'm glad he took his time to get it right. Although, unlike SC, he's released it.

He's hilarious, and scarily correct. CR has found a way to make millions out of the whales, however, the incentive is to keep the game in perpetual development rather than produce a finished game.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2018, 10:32:49 AM »
Yeah, I think this was the best one yet

The timeline used in the video

Reggs

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2018, 05:50:35 AM »
To coin a phrase - I'm glad he took his time to get it right. Although, unlike SC, he's released it. My Crazy Bulk review is good.

He's hilarious, and scarily correct. CR has found a way to make millions out of the whales, however, the incentive is to keep the game in perpetual development rather than produce a finished game.

I completely agree with you and I can totally see the logic in that. But I hope you're wrong lol. I want to believe that the game will be released sooner or later. There are ways to keep the games in permanent development mode after the release too, and I bet SC will be one of those games. Which wouldn't be a bad thing anyway.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2020, 04:20:35 AM by Reggs »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 05:25:57 AM »

Penny579

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2018, 06:07:10 PM »
I thought I heard Crobber saying all funds raised would go towards game development, in fact, I thought I heard this multiple times

why then their investors who are expecting a return?

Caveat Emptor

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2018, 12:00:11 PM »
I presume the ROI will happen once the games are released (lol) and sales are considered revenue. Any money coming in before that should be considered start-up capital, which is what gets a business from inception stage to revenue generation stage.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2018, 07:10:25 AM »
I presume the ROI will happen once the games are released (lol) and sales are considered revenue. Any money coming in before that should be considered start-up capital, which is what gets a business from inception stage to revenue generation stage.

It's not start-up capital because it's not an investment vehicle. Plus they're selling things.

Caveat Emptor

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2018, 08:00:41 AM »
It's not start-up capital because it's not an investment vehicle. Plus they're selling things.

Yes we know they're selling things, but I'm using the equivalence of how a normal business would operate:

Say you wanted to start a business selling burgers from a van.
Before you can sell any burgers, the business needs certain things;

A van
The equipment to make burgers
Fuel for the van and ingredients for the burgers *

Start-up capital is needed for the above. Once purchased and set up, you can now go and sell burgers, thereby generating revenue.
Subtract the daily cost (staff, fuel, ingredients, pitch fees) from the daily revenue and the remainder is pre-tax profit.

If it was a normal business, the 'pledges' received by CIG should really be considered as start-up capital, because the money received via pledges is supposed to be used to work towards v1.0 of the games, when income from game sales would be the revenue.

Another thing a normal business would do would be to preserve the start-up capital as much as possible, to guard against unforeseen events (delays, higher than expected costs etc). So the business owners would typically pay themselves as little as possible, to preserve that vital capital. Once revenue is coming in and the business is proved to be profitable, the owners can then increase their salary** and pay themselves bonuses**/dividends, knowing that they're not starving the business of cash. This is why I'm interested in knowing how much the main principals are paying themselves. I'll bet it isn't 'as little as possible'.

* These are actually ongoing costs, but something is needed to start you off
** Assuming an individual owner has a job within the business. Otherwise it's just dividends, as anyone who owns shares/stocks will understand.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 05:09:18 PM »
OK I see what you mean. Makes sense.

ps: They're not a startup :emot-lol:

Caveat Emptor

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2018, 08:20:30 AM »
Oh I agree they're long past the start-up phase. The question is 'at what stage do they consider themselves internally (at board-level)'. I don't mean what are they saying publicly to backers - we know they portray themselves as the plucky little start-up, giving the middle finger to 'the man' (publishers), and working towards releasing the BDSSE, which will revolutionise the industry.

Referring back to my analogy above, if they still consider themselves in the start-up phase, then 'pledges' are boosts to start-up capital, they're reporting multi-million losses each year (due to no revenue), minimal salaries for the principals (lol), and capital being preserved as much as possible (lol), so release v1.0 of the BDSSE can be achieved before insolvency occurs.

If they consider themselves in the revenue-generating phase, then 'pledges' are sales (so its undeniably P2W), corporation tax should be paid on profits (allowing for some Hollywood accounting and cross-licensing via the network of different companies), the principals can pay themselves whatever they deem appropriate, dividends can be issued to owners (although a prudent business would always retain some profit to boost cash reserves), and what they've released so far can be justifiably  reviewed as-is.

CIG appear to be mixing up the above for their own benefit. Only a look at books would show how they view what's what.

I wonder if the 'investors' got to do some due diligence and have an independent audit carried out ? :) It would be foolish to take a stake in any enterprise without having some idea of its financial state.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk