Author Topic: CryTek v CIG/RSI  (Read 299149 times)

jwh1701

Re: CryTek v CIG/RSI
« Reply #600 on: February 22, 2020, 07:01:53 PM »
OP updated as per settlement.

As I had stated since the very beginning, this was bound to be settled out of court - and my guess is that Crytek got a nice payday.

Checked out the twitter update, Bret sure does have a bad case of CI critical thinking disorder.

Aya Reiko

« Reply #601 on: February 22, 2020, 11:56:42 PM »
So much for discovery...  Unless someone leaks the intel anyway.

jwh1701

« Reply #602 on: February 23, 2020, 02:03:52 PM »
So much for discovery...  Unless someone leaks the intel anyway.

That would be great, the amount of theory crafting about how bad CI beat crytek on reddit is wildly exuberant.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #603 on: February 25, 2020, 05:19:27 AM »
OP updated as per settlement.

As I had stated since the very beginning, this was bound to be settled out of court - and my guess is that Crytek got a nice payday.

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1030835962899849222.html

"From where I'm sitting, this is going to trial."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1030420136250040320.html

"Basically, anyone who thinks that breaches like that seen in 2.4, 7.3 and the SQ42 infringement are just "a few million Dollars", doesn't know how this works.

And they are completely ignoring the caliber of attorneys at Skadden.

This, my friends, is what an E.L.E looks like."

"Here is how just AWFUL this is for CIG. Below is what Crytek can now gain access to WITHOUT question because, GLA breach aside, Section 7.3 GRANTS it!

1) Star Engine source code and runtime (Star Citizen / Squadron 42)

2) Source control version logs. They use Perforce"

"What's going to happen now is, settlement or not, Chris has a target he can pin the destruction of Star Citizen + Squadron 42 on. He's going to blame it on the lawsuit, while ignoring that 7 yrs + $190M later, he couldn't deliver even 20% of what he promised.
I don't even have to mention that now, @CouttsandCo bank loan is going to immediately default if F42 can't pay off that loan. F42 gave as collateral a title that is now encumbered by a lawsuit, and which the judge granting injunctive relief in this case, is now DEAD"

"Either way, win, lose, or draw, the project is DEAD."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/1029687504205688832.html

"Make no mistake, seeing as CIG/RSI are basically INSOLVENT, this is the final death knell. Especially if Crytek files an injunction to prevent them from continuing to operate Star Citizen. The damages alone are going to be catastrophic. If you're an investor, you just got rekted."

"Yes, CIG/RSI are so screwed, I haven't even started contemplating on that yet."

"They're still on the hook for monetary damages, statutory damages AND injunctive relief.

Interpretation: They're f-cked."

"Now, this MtD ruling has not only given Crytek a massive upper hand in any settlement talk, if I were in Crytek's shoes, I would just go in, take every f-cking thing, kick them all out, finish the game and extract their losses and damages.

That's what it will come to."

"I think backers still giving them money should now come to the realization that, aside from them never - ever - getting their money back, nor the games promised, they are now going to be funding a LOSING lawsuit.
If we take the funding chart at face value, and say they are raising about $30M a year, let me assure you, that's a drop in the bucket compared to the sort of damages they are going to be faced with very soon."

"And if there were to be any settlement, knowing that any award is going to create financial liability that exceeds the company net worth, Crytek will basically own ALL OF IT, after CIG/RSI are forced into bankruptcy.
For posterity sake, I am calling it now.

We're going to wake up one day and find that Crytek owns EVERY asset of CIG/RSI entities."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/961629006708781056.html

"let me explain why I believe that on Feb 9th, Judge Dolly M. Gee is going to set in motion what I believe will be the final END of the Star Citizen project."

"It doesn't matter if it settles or not, or goes to trial.

What matters is that Star Citizen is DEAD, and that people are likely to end up in jail over it."

"this Crytek lawsuit, which is integral to their operations, is going to not only expose ALL of them, but my guess is that by the time Skadden is done, I wouldn't be surprised if that's when the govt. makes their move which would see people go to jail or plead out"

"Every single one of the 4 causes of action Crytek is claiming, have very dire consequences for the company and project, as they are material breaches.

To the extent that all it takes is for Crytek to prevail on a SINGLE one, and it's goodnight, sweet dreams for Star Citizen."

"I'm calling it right now. They're fucked. Completely."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/949626014367469568.html

"knowing that NOTHING in their response is strong enough to give it ANY chance of survival"

"But damn, they are so screwed, I don't even know how to express it in words."

"That EXCLUSIVE clause means they can't use ANY other engine for Star Citizen.

Period. End of story."

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/942753856332685312.html

"trust me when I tell you this: the CryTek claims are a major problem to deal with"

https://threadreaderapp.com/thread/940947796794003457.html

"It's as serious as can be, as they are alleging they switched engines to avoid paying them"

"Make no mistake, this is on the level of Zenimax v Oculus bad."

"Take a long hard look at this guy. Then follow his case history, and that of his firm. He's going to completely destroy CIG/RSI."

"Remember, a firm like Skadeen will never - ever - take a case without merits, nor one that wasn't worthy of said merits. They have no time for frivolous lawsuits or small potatoes."

"Let me just put this as mildly as I can: Star Citizen is FINISHED. They can't afford to pay CryTek what they claim. Most of these claims are open and shut with zero defense."

"I remember when Zenimax v Oculus was a thing. People were attacking Zenimax, calling it a cash grab etc. Then they won a $500M settlement and a lot of things. This is worse."

"This lawsuit will just serve to give backers ANSWERS...
...and those answers have the potential to completely KILL whatever chance this project had of ever seeing the light of day due to the NEED for on-going backer funding. They neither have the money nor the time. This lawsuit makes it worse."

I'm pretty sure I could find lots more if I could be bothered. Sorry Derek but, yet again, you're full of more shit than a music festival toilet on the last day...

N0mad

« Reply #604 on: February 25, 2020, 06:10:50 AM »
That's brave. It's a bit premature to assume the settlement won't have any effect on SC / SQ42.

I'm assuming you don't know the terms of the settlement any more than any of us.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #605 on: February 25, 2020, 06:15:12 AM »
That's brave. It's a bit premature to assume the settlement won't have any effect on SC / SQ42.

I'm assuming you don't know the terms of the settlement any more than any of us.

Nothing brave about it, I'm just quoting Derek's words as examples showing a lot of his statements were hyperbolic, exaggerated or complete bullshit.

He has a very selective memory when bigging himself up. Difficult when you've obsessed over something for so long to keep track of all the muck you've thrown I suppose.

Motto

« Reply #606 on: February 25, 2020, 06:50:01 AM »
Please stop feeding the troll.

jwh1701

« Reply #607 on: February 25, 2020, 08:10:36 AM »
Nothing brave about it, I'm just quoting Derek's words as examples showing a lot of his statements were hyperbolic, exaggerated or complete bullshit.

He has a very selective memory when bigging himself up. Difficult when you've obsessed over something for so long to keep track of all the muck you've thrown I suppose.

Being upset with Derek still does not change that SC is train wreck of development with massive list of management failures by Roberts.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #608 on: February 25, 2020, 08:26:03 AM »
Being upset with Derek still does not change that SC is train wreck of development with massive list of management failures by Roberts.

I am not upset with Derek, just pointing out that when he claims to have always said it'll be settled out of court, he's lying. Mistaken. Selecting memories.

He has repeatedly, and aggressively, suggested the end for CIG on many occasions, for many and varied reasons yet, they're still chugging along. Let's try to summarise.

1) Project can't be completed as it's impossible
2) Running out of money
3) Lawsuit will bankrupt them
4) Lawsuit will hand everything over to Crytek
5) Refund cascade
6)Running out of money again
7) Staff exodus
8)The classic, unknown reason, but stay tuned for more!
9)Running out of money for realsies this time...honest

Just calling bullshit where I see a stinking pile of vegetable based excrement in a field full of male cows.

jwh1701

« Reply #609 on: February 26, 2020, 01:57:02 PM »

1) Project can't be completed as it's impossible
This is still in mind a big question, and from development its appears true

2) Running out of money
Took 46m and went back on another  promise.

3) Lawsuit will bankrupt them
The lawsuit may have spurred Chris to seek out more funds, who knows
what they need more funds if the sales figures are true.

4) Lawsuit will hand everything over to Crytek
Never know since they settled.

5) Refund cascade
It was enough refunds to cause them to change the TOS 6 times, which to me
was egregious based on on the delays and complete move away from the original KS.

6)Running out of money again
Still possible given how much dev the game requires.

7) Staff exodus
Turn over seems high to me considering how much a high profile project would look great on a  resume.

8)The classic, unknown reason, but stay tuned for more!
I'm sure information is hard to come by.

9)Running out of money for realsies this time...honest
Not sure on this one, but I'm sure Chris can find a way to keep the trust fund growth. 
« Last Edit: February 26, 2020, 09:27:53 PM by jwh1701 »

StanTheMan

« Reply #610 on: February 29, 2020, 10:07:44 PM »
So...the lawyers got rich on this one?

They usually do.

Derek is no stranger to legal action.  Which will be part of the reason he said is was likely to settle right at the start.

Anyone so informed knows that the system is designed to get parties to settle and lawyers will always advise their clients to settle on reasonable terms once the extent of the strength of sides case is known in sufficient detail to ascertain what the range of trial outcomes might be.

Going to trial is a risk for either party, so settlement is where is often ends.

Just this week I have settled a civil case I was involved in, in the UK.   It took a few rulings, lots of paperwork and time before the other side folded even though they should have had all the evidence before they started action.   I gave a bit of ground in order to settle rather than risk having to incur legal fees and spend more time.

Crytek probably didn't walk away from this out of pocket.

« Last Edit: February 29, 2020, 10:16:39 PM by StanTheMan »

wiser3754

« Reply #611 on: March 01, 2020, 06:22:43 PM »
In a December 2018 podcast with Guard Frequency Derek did make the suggestion that Crytek accept any payout regardless of how small it is and settle due to Crytek's first attorney's (Skadden) legal bills being very high.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #612 on: April 01, 2020, 12:14:09 PM »

Except for the part where NONE of the quotes you cited make the case of ANY of what you're stating.

The case WOULD have gone to trial. They settled it - just as I had stated from the onset, and I gave my reasons why that would be. Do you know how math actually works?

There was nothing hyperbolic about any of my statements because, as opinions based on the information at hand, they aren't even subject to rebuttal just because the case was settled.

A settlement has NO basis in win|lose because that's the whole premise and basis for a settlement. If CIG had ANY chance at prevailing, after spending so much money, they would NOT have settled. Not to mention the fact that THEY got sued, and the key parts of the lawsuit survived their MtD. So this settlement works in favor of CryTek than it does CIG, and obviously CIG had to pay CryTek something, which is how and why parties end up paying their own legal fees.

Stop trolling.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #613 on: April 01, 2020, 01:03:56 PM »
In a December 2018 podcast with Guard Frequency Derek did make the suggestion that Crytek accept any payout regardless of how small it is and settle due to Crytek's first attorney's (Skadden) legal bills being very high.

Correct. And shortly afterwards, they did switch law firms, we learned of (at the time) behind-the-scenes settlement talks spawned by CIG - not Crytek (they rejected it back then).
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #614 on: May 28, 2020, 06:28:32 AM »
OP updated with my final commentary.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk