Author Topic: CryTek v CIG/RSI  (Read 304705 times)

Noztra

Re: CryTek v RSI/CIG
« Reply #105 on: March 01, 2018, 05:22:09 AM »
And...if I read things correctly...paid himself $3 million for the privilege after what were, no doubt, arduous negotiations between Chris Roberts as CEO of CIG and Chris Roberts, creator of the Star Citizen universe.

Shady, but without doubt, legal.

Yeah you are right. :)

So much for all backer money going directly to fund the development off the game...

N0mad

« Reply #106 on: March 01, 2018, 06:25:48 AM »
Do you guys know how much of the Discovery might be made public?

Because if it turns out CIG are basically insolvent and relying on unpaid loans then the resulting loss of backer confidence could sink the project there and then.

StanTheMan

« Reply #107 on: March 01, 2018, 07:23:58 AM »
I dont think any of it would have to made public in the UK.

IME of a simple Civil case in the UK,  there is a lot of shit that can go down over discovery, with one side or the other not disclosing stuff and you having to decide if it is worth going to the court to get a decision on those matters.  EXample .. you don't think you got all their accounts or emails etc.

As Derek points out CIG are already playing silly games so .....

One assumes the law firm acting for CIG (even with Scrotumsin Liarmouth's intervention), are acting within some kind of professional boundaries.    Thus they know what they are risking by taking the approach they are taking..
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 07:28:26 AM by StanTheMan »

Motto

« Reply #108 on: March 01, 2018, 07:25:55 AM »
Failing to meet yet another new schedule setup end of this month and thus more broken promises will turn more of the the fanboy community. Even on Reddit the sentiment is changing.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #109 on: March 01, 2018, 07:43:17 AM »
Crytek will want to go to trial on this one because a jury will need to decide the interpretation of "exclusive", millions of dollars hangs in the balance, so likely we'll have to wait a while. If CIG do settle it will likely be at that pretrial conference 1 month before the trial. That said I'm absolutely not a lawyer but have dealt with many legal issues for my company including copyright law and HR stuff.

Crytek have no problems going to trail or they would have started settlement talks as per the CIG request.

I don't believe that the case will settle because CIG simply don't have the money that it would take. And if it goes to trial - and they lose - Crytek has more to gain as they can then claim ALL their assets, up to the award amount; thus killing all the companies and the project. There is a reason why CIG are so pissed that the parent company, RSI, was named in the lawsuit. They can't just jettison CIG and the other companies at will.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #110 on: March 01, 2018, 07:44:07 AM »
I don't think that CIG will last until next year July and I'm not sure how much of the things we really like to see will be made available by the bankruptcy trustee when CIG goes bust. I'd like to see Crytek get all of the financials out in the open but I'd also like to see CIG go down on their own merits. No excuse for Chris by handwaving "Crytek sued us into backruptcy, sorry".

Bankruptcy filings are public. So if/when it goes there, all of it will be made public.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #111 on: March 01, 2018, 07:45:55 AM »
And...if I read things correctly...paid himself $3 million for the privilege after what were, no doubt, arduous negotiations between Chris Roberts as CEO of CIG and Chris Roberts, creator of the Star Citizen universe.

Shady, but without doubt, legal.

Now you understand why the list of discovery demands looks the way it does.

N0mad

« Reply #112 on: March 01, 2018, 07:48:25 AM »
Failing to meet yet another new schedule setup end of this month and thus more broken promises will turn more of the the fanboy community. Even on Reddit the sentiment is changing.

The fanboys are used to excusing and ignoring the broken promises - "I'd rather CIG take their time" is the usual line. A content poor quarterly release won't stop them buying a new ship from a concept sale.

I have to say, CIG don't seem to by trying very hard to sell stuff these days - the Vulcan sale was DULL. It looks terrible and the least they could do is get the art department to make some rendered footage of the craft in action.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #113 on: March 01, 2018, 07:49:18 AM »
Do you guys know how much of the Discovery might be made public?

Because if it turns out CIG are basically insolvent and relying on unpaid loans then the resulting loss of backer confidence could sink the project there and then.

It depends on to what extent Crytek wants to embarrass CIG. They can always petition the judge to allow certain items which they feel should be in the public domain. Then it's up to the judge to allow it. Which is precisely why I am going to be filing an Amicus curae in the case shortly after the judge rules on the MtD. In it, I am going to make the court aware of the many intricacies what CIG has done to backers etc. Key point being that they promised that the financials would be public, then then rescinded that etc.

David-2

« Reply #114 on: March 01, 2018, 08:04:30 AM »
The fanboys are used to excusing and ignoring the broken promises - "I'd rather CIG take their time" is the usual line.

Well, that doesn't seem to be the case anymore.  Check out this current reddit thread "3.0 is boring now" and see if you can find someone saying "I'd rather CIG take their time".

The current argument seems to be "you're literally paying CIG so that you can find their bugs" vs. "no you're not".  And nearly everyone else is like "X sucks" for X in ( flight model, FPS, gameplay loop, bugs, CR ).

So I'm kind of wondering why the fanboys are avoiding this thread which is otherwise right up their alley? Hmmm.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #115 on: March 01, 2018, 08:37:31 AM »
The fanboys are used to excusing and ignoring the broken promises - "I'd rather CIG take their time" is the usual line. A content poor quarterly release won't stop them buying a new ship from a concept sale.

I have to say, CIG don't seem to by trying very hard to sell stuff these days - the Vulcan sale was DULL. It looks terrible and the least they could do is get the art department to make some rendered footage of the craft in action.

Well the Vulcan is a dud. And it goes to April 2nd, which is about 40 days for a concept ship sale, as opposed to the standard 10 days.

Noztra

« Reply #116 on: March 01, 2018, 11:20:08 AM »
From the lastest bugsmashers. :)

« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 11:22:18 AM by Noztra »

N0mad

« Reply #117 on: March 01, 2018, 11:57:36 AM »
From the lastest bugsmashers. :)

If you're implying that they are using CryEngine, then that's just what the Lumberyard directory looks like:

Lumberyard Github

Unless I've missed something :)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #118 on: March 01, 2018, 01:47:17 PM »
OP updated with my latest

jwh1701

« Reply #119 on: March 01, 2018, 08:21:57 PM »
OP updated with my latest

Looking back over the old agreement and I had forgotten about that accounting part should have sent the funding tracker down the drain.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk