Author Topic: The Classics  (Read 7655 times)

Ghostmaker

The Classics
« on: November 08, 2017, 10:35:35 AM »
We all remember them. They were 'the game' when we were younger. Even nowadays, we might look back at them and our hearts skip a beat, remembering the thrill. We see traces of them occasionally, in other games. What were your classics?

I'll offer up one: Starflight. Who here played Starflight? That was a hell of a game, even in the old DOS days.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: The Classics
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 11:19:46 AM »
Starflight, Echelon, Elite and Sentinel Worlds were the inspiration for me to develop my first game. And I still have those games btw
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2017, 12:19:25 PM »
Besides Elite 8-bit and 16-bit; Starglider 2, Frontier and Millennium 2.2.

mtn355

« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2017, 01:22:42 PM »
Uuuuuh, let's got back in time!

My first contact to games in space were Hybris and R-Type.

The first space simulator I ever played was ...: Epic! [www.mobygames.com/game/amiga/epic]
(Sorry, I dunno how to link this properly)
Then there was Carrier Command, then Elite. oh, and Gravity Force!

Then there were the whole wing commander series, of which only privateer still sticks with me -
I am so glad that I didn't back SC at all. (My trigger finger was itching on the mouse button back in 2012 - but in the last second something sprung to my mind which said: "Lo - behold - you know CR and his track record - let's see how things will unfold."

These are my most memorable games of all time:
Speedball2, Alpha Centauri, Wip3out, Syndicate.

Blast from the past bonus: Micro Maniacs, Duke Nukem 3D, Cannon Fodder, Mech Commander,...
Damn I really played a lot of games :D The more I think of it  the more games come to my mind.

wiskyblandi1

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2017, 12:10:05 AM »
Oh Starflight - игра, в которую я играл с детства.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2017, 05:28:33 AM »
Same here. Starflight 1&2 were my all-time favorites
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2017, 10:08:06 PM »
For me, it was Frontier & Frontier II: First Encounters. Others include Sundog: Frozen Legacy, and of course Xwing vs. TieFighter which I thought was the real breakthrough 3d space fighting combat game. I played a friend's Wing Commander II, then got bored of it as it was just jerky sprites with beetle looking textures. Also, the ripoff of Niven's Kzin with the Kilrathi kind of put me off as I was reading the Ringworld series at the time. I'd later played WC:Prophecy from the bargain bin, when by then it seemed to be a Freespace clone. I bought WC3 (mainly for the cutscenes) recently but haven't touched it. Mostly FlightSimulator was my favorite.(95,98,2000,2002,2004, FSX). Never tried Freelancer or Privateer. Well I did watch a little of Privateer, but the cutscenes turned me off. I missed out on the original Elite and the Starflights.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2017, 10:21:35 PM by krylite »

ShoHashi

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2018, 02:17:44 PM »
We all remember them. They were 'the game' when we were younger. Even nowadays, we might look back at them and our hearts skip a beat, remembering the thrill. We see traces of them occasionally, in other games. What were your classics?

I'll offer up one: Starflight. Who here played Starflight? That was a hell of a game, even in the old DOS days.

A little late to the party, but yeah, Starflight was my main go-to game with my Tandy 1000 at the time.  Good times!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk