Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 294895 times)

StanTheMan

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #375 on: December 09, 2018, 05:35:32 PM »
Is it standard/accepted industry practice to list "improvements" on a roadmap without being a lot more specific about what those "improvements" are ?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #376 on: December 10, 2018, 06:53:00 AM »
Is it standard/accepted industry practice to list "improvements" on a roadmap without being a lot more specific about what those "improvements" are ?

Yes. And it depends on whether or not the improvement is something the player would understand. e.g. "improvements to weapons firing" is something a gamer would understand. But "improvements to database schema" isn't. As devs, we always only list things that are pertinent to the game and which are informative to the gamer who really don't care about things under the hood. e.g. take a look at the changelog for two of the games I am working on,  to see how I list things like that

http://3000ad.com/ucce30-changelog/
http://lodgame.com/changelog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #377 on: December 11, 2018, 11:58:09 AM »
btw if you want an illustrated explanation of the Star Citizen technical debt we've been talking about for years, watch this video and FF to @2:24

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #378 on: December 11, 2018, 01:45:51 PM »
That is totally crazy, I no idea if they will even get there but I cannot wait to see what the average CR per hour will be.
I usually only spare a maximum 30 to 50 hours of playtime for a finished game. Less, when it's not really good, few more hours only when it's really exceptional.

That's the main issue with these P2W skinner boxes: What can you actually achieve within that time limit? I'm not the type, who sinks a whole decade of his youth into one MMO timesink. For once, because my youth is already over and my remaining lifetime is somewhat precious. So I guess Chris Roberts expects me to pay through the nose for "shortcuts"? Well, just because I'm older doesn't mean I want to make them rich, it means I simply move on to my backlog.

I'm so glad I refunded this, because otherwise I would already have wasted the whole time budget on the broken Alpha.  :grin:

N0mad

« Reply #379 on: December 14, 2018, 05:12:14 AM »
Interesting ATV. This seems to sum up the gameplay expectations "in the verse" and it's all about "emergent gameplay", ie. players finding things to do with other players because all the NPCs and missions are either broken or just plain dull. Chris even goes as far as admitting that this "emergent gameplay" involves griefing other players. Sounds like such fun, fly somewhere, get blown up by a player in a bigger ship (because they spent more real money than you so you don't stand a chance), then wait 24hrs for your insurance, repeat. Great gameplay loop Chris !

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #380 on: December 15, 2018, 06:36:14 AM »

Motto

« Reply #381 on: December 15, 2018, 06:38:39 AM »
Lookin' good! Just 500 million more and 10 years extra and we have ourselves a game!

StanTheMan

« Reply #382 on: December 15, 2018, 07:27:40 AM »
Yes. And it depends on whether or not the improvement is something the player would understand. e.g. "improvements to weapons firing" is something a gamer would understand. But "improvements to database schema" isn't. As devs, we always only list things that are pertinent to the game and which are informative to the gamer who really don't care about things under the hood. e.g. take a look at the changelog for two of the games I am working on,  to see how I list things like that

http://3000ad.com/ucce30-changelog/
http://lodgame.com/changelog

OK so that would mean that there is an internal Roadmap/Programme plan.     

If he is supposed to have opened the doors so they can see how the game is made, CRoberts should be sharing the proper plan with Backers.   No ?

Otherwise Backers are just being shown promotional material with very limited insight into the actual workload and progress.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2018, 08:06:35 AM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #385 on: December 23, 2018, 06:35:37 AM »

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #386 on: December 23, 2018, 02:22:32 PM »
Broken 3.4.1 Patch - trolololololo,
Ah quit yer bitchin.
These are the new features. You are like Hans Solo with the Millenium Falcon, his ship stops working at inopportune times.
Merry Chrismas  from your Uncle Chris and his new master.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #387 on: January 13, 2019, 10:08:54 AM »
Weird how development is regressing

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #388 on: January 19, 2019, 05:38:01 PM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #389 on: January 19, 2019, 05:39:27 PM »
:emot-lol: Look at all the stuff that's removed and not even deferred.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk