Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 295624 times)

Judge_dolly_OG

Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #495 on: August 21, 2019, 06:39:32 AM »
It's all bollocks. SSOCS is no longer in dev or it would be in the roadmap. They took that out awhile back - and backers are basically pretending as if it still exists in a supa sekret build.

Well it is either that or they are building a load of scripted shit to show off at citicon, after they promised not to do that anymore... They couldn't be doing that could they? Lol

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #496 on: August 21, 2019, 07:03:17 AM »
Regression

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #497 on: August 22, 2019, 02:56:27 AM »
Gotta love people explaining why fuck-ups shouldn't be seen negatively, as they always happen  :shrug:

StanTheMan

« Reply #498 on: August 22, 2019, 01:48:09 PM »
Of course it is. It's just a sign that CIG is bad at making roadmaps, nothing more to it  :cool:

At last.. someone that actually knows a bit about developing computer games. 

In that thread they all seem to be forgetting that there is no money left.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2019, 02:01:37 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #499 on: August 23, 2019, 01:25:53 PM »
I have literally run out of lols. 3.7 progress went down - again

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #500 on: August 24, 2019, 05:11:34 AM »
Ok, in true Star Citizen style I'm going to do some theory-crafting based on my dreams as a lotus-eater.

We know that the focus of development at CIG is basically Squander 42, and SC is dead in the water, only existing as a whale milk repository.

There has been a big dearth of progress on the roadmaps for both games over the last few weeks, many of the backers are blaming this on SSOCS or Server Side Object Container Streaming, CIG's name for loading only what is needed into memory at a given time on the server.

Others are sceptical but hold on to your hat but here is why I think the backers may be right:

1. There was a video recently (IIRC) where a dev blamed SSOCS for breaking everything such as the missions (in an already extremely broken game)

2. I can't find the source, but I think that Squander 42 is still running as a client/server setup, but the server is running locally on your machine. Therefore the benefits of OCS are inconsequential when the entire world is loaded into memory anyway in the "server".

- Given the timelines of when Squander 42 was actually started, this will be when a lot of custom work had been done to the engine and it was probably deemed easier to just run it in this client/server setup as it would reduce the amount of rewriting earlier on in development of the single player game. This is inevitably kicking the tech-debt can down the road, but that is basically CIG's textbook move.

3. Coming out with a working SSOCS will give renewed faith to the backers as it will seem that SC has not been completely forgotten, even though its main purpose will be to make the single player game possible.

4. They want to get this running on consoles, and no way they can do that with their current setup.

So my questions are:
1. Is it possible that CIG can get this working in their buggy mess of a game, how many more weeks/months years will it take.
2. What the hell have I been smoking.
3. Am I completely incorrect about the single player game having this architecture, any links to prove/disprove would be appreciated.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2019, 05:17:12 AM by Judge_dolly_OG »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #501 on: August 24, 2019, 11:06:49 AM »
SSOCS no longer appears in the roadmap. Which means it's not in dev. The End.

Chapes

« Reply #502 on: August 24, 2019, 11:10:44 AM »
I don't know enough about server architecture to guess at whether object loading is holding up S42 progress.  That said, the progress is such a hot mess that it could be any number of 'blockers,' as CIG likes to put it.  'Blocker' itself is an interesting term, as it implies some kind of discovered barrier that they had nothing to do with - as if basic issues concerning the physics engine, AI, and multiplayer couldn't have been foreseen and prepared for / designed around by a more competent developer.

Speaking about game development, it looks like the Aegis VIP event ($275 entry fee, lol) was to announce the sale of a new 'minelayer' ship ($675 pledge, lol).  If anyone thought the feature creep would be scaled back at this point, they thought wrong.  Add 'minelaying' to the list of gameplay activities that concept ships have been sold for, but haven't been implemented.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuwaw7/aegis_nautilus_675/

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #503 on: August 24, 2019, 11:58:53 AM »
SSOCS no longer appears in the roadmap. Which means it's not in dev. The End.

Get out of here with your voice of reason! I'm theory crafting!

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #504 on: August 24, 2019, 12:01:10 PM »
I don't know enough about server architecture to guess at whether object loading is holding up S42 progress.  That said, the progress is such a hot mess that it could be any number of 'blockers,' as CIG likes to put it.  'Blocker' itself is an interesting term, as it implies some kind of discovered barrier that they had nothing to do with - as if basic issues concerning the physics engine, AI, and multiplayer couldn't have been foreseen and prepared for / designed around by a more competent developer.

Speaking about game development, it looks like the Aegis VIP event ($275 entry fee, lol) was to announce the sale of a new 'minelayer' ship ($675 pledge, lol).  If anyone thought the feature creep would be scaled back at this point, they thought wrong.  Add 'minelaying' to the list of gameplay activities that concept ships have been sold for, but haven't been implemented.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuwaw7/aegis_nautilus_675/
Well it leaves the door open for a minesweeper ship at the next event.

Incoming boring mine laying level in S42.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #505 on: August 25, 2019, 09:54:09 AM »
 From someone at the event...
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuxz18/photo_from_275_concierge_events_evening_meal/ey254da

Looks like I need to smoke more of what I've been smoking.

helimoth

« Reply #506 on: August 25, 2019, 10:55:16 AM »
This is a horrible time for them to announce the release of a ship. Not only time-frame wise (this would sell so much better as a Christmas released ship) but also because this is bang smack in the middle of one of CIG's little "content droughts". CIG would *have* to know this is just a horrible time to release a ship. Why would they release such an expensive ship at such a horrible time? Can only be one reason; cash! If I had to guess I'd say there is a $200,000 funding hole this month that needs plugging.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2019, 10:56:59 AM by helimoth »

David-2

« Reply #507 on: August 25, 2019, 11:04:24 AM »
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/cuxz18/photo_from_275_concierge_events_evening_meal/ey254da

Look at the event photo linked to by that post and ask yourself: Why was there so much desire/anticipation/fuss about the long-delayed availability of female avatars in SC?

The answer that comes to my mind is ... icky.

(Not that we've heard anything about it recently ...)

David-2

« Reply #508 on: August 25, 2019, 11:18:10 AM »

BTW, consider this  first hand report:

Also Chris is hard at work coding the physics refactor of the game, and SSOCS which will be coming will come in tandem with Item Cache 2.0 which will allow much better persistence then we currently have in the game. He gave an example where you leave a ship somewhere out in the open, walk away (a long distance), logout out at an outpost for example, and come back into the game, your ship would still be there.

In red: Does anyone really believe that CR is "hard at work coding the physics refactor of the game"? As in, personally?  As in, doing anything other than micromanaging in an extremely annoying and detrimental manner?

In green: I don't play the game, but I was under the distinct impression that whenever you logged in to the game you ended up in a wank pod somewhere.  How then do you get back to your ship?  BTW, wasn't this persistence kind of thing supposed to have been implemented years ago with Item 2.0?  Is Item Cache 2.0 an improvement to that, or a replacement, or something else?  (I mean, suspending disbelief and supposing for the sake of argument that Item Cache 2.0 isn't just another piece of substanceless jargon to wave in front of whales...)

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #509 on: August 26, 2019, 12:15:05 AM »
This is a horrible time for them to announce the release of a ship. Not only time-frame wise (this would sell so much better as a Christmas released ship) but also because this is bang smack in the middle of one of CIG's little "content droughts". CIG would *have* to know this is just a horrible time to release a ship. Why would they release such an expensive ship at such a horrible time? Can only be one reason; cash! If I had to guess I'd say there is a $200,000 funding hole this month that needs plugging.

You could certainly be right but then again CIG has a knack for doing daft shit at any time they please.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk