Author Topic: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch  (Read 294840 times)

Backer42

• Refundian
Re: Star Citizen Dev Progress Watch
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2018, 12:36:41 AM »
Cyrengine older versions are known for bad multicore support I remember there was some guy on old SC forumus who tested different CPUs, but I can't find it anymore... 
 He basically started his post with "Cryengine hates multicore CPUs and so does SC..."
CE3 was made for the 2005 Xbox 360, which features a triple-core PowerPC CPU. There is no point in excessive multi threading for such a platform target.

Star Citizen is simply a LastGen game featuring an outdated LastGen engine.

N0mad

« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2018, 04:07:09 AM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original CryEngine was written back at a time where it was assumed that processors would stick at 2-4 cores but just get faster and faster. That didn't quite happen and CryEngine hasn't been able to take advantage of the extra cores as well as other game engines might.

Writing Threaded code is hard at the best of times. Whilst you can offload complex custom code to a thread (eg well written AI) if you need lots of calls to the engine functions then they will often only allow you to do so from the "main" thread. To try and rewrite the engine at this late stage to take advantage of other threads (eg for physics or networking) could end up breaking everything. Even if you could rewrite the client code to be be more efficient, this may not help on the server side anyway.

If they really wanted to to make an MMO then they should have started with a custom engine and sorted out all the complex boilerplate functionality first: but then they wouldn't be able to produce high fidelity tech demos to show off at every gaming event.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2018, 08:50:56 AM »
Evocati 3.3 NPC guards.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6ul6cb

ps: It's horrid
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

David-2

« Reply #183 on: October 05, 2018, 11:44:08 PM »
Apparently the latest roadmap shows OCS & Network Bind Culling moved forward from 3.3.5 back into 3.3.0 and many of its tasks are either completed or nearing completion.

N0mad

« Reply #184 on: October 06, 2018, 12:55:01 AM »
Apparently the latest roadmap shows OCS & Network Bind Culling moved forward from 3.3.5 back into 3.3.0 and many of its tasks are either completed or nearing completion.

I don't buy it. I expect this is to give the Whales some hope before CitizenCon, after which they will kick OCS into the middle of next year.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #185 on: October 06, 2018, 04:57:08 AM »
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

They're doing some shifty things atm. Even though BOTH 3.3 and 3.3.5 are train-wrecks, word is that they are planning on merging the two and releasing 3.3.5 instead of 3.3.

The current build is completely and utterly unstable, and completely unplayable. And that's what they're planning on releasing week of Oct 10th during CitizenCon. I doubt that they will do this because it will be worse than the 3.0 fiasco. So they will probably defer it to Dec like they did with 3.0.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2018, 04:58:40 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #186 on: October 06, 2018, 08:38:04 AM »
https://robertsspaceindustries.com/roadmap/board/1-Star-Citizen

They're doing some shifty things atm. Even though BOTH 3.3 and 3.3.5 are train-wrecks, word is that they are planning on merging the two and releasing 3.3.5 instead of 3.3.

The current build is completely and utterly unstable, and completely unplayable. And that's what they're planning on releasing week of Oct 10th during CitizenCon. I doubt that they will do this because it will be worse than the 3.0 fiasco. So they will probably defer it to Dec like they did with 3.0.

Over at reddit they are going crazy over the roadmap, they all believe that everything will soon drop into place.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #187 on: October 06, 2018, 03:33:35 PM »
I seem to remember reading somewhere that the original CryEngine was written back at a time where it was assumed that processors would stick at 2-4 cores but just get faster and faster. That didn't quite happen and CryEngine hasn't been able to take advantage of the extra cores as well as other game engines might.
It was written for a specific console platform, there is nothing more to it. Nobody expected CE3 being used in 2018 on PC.

Writing Threaded code is hard at the best of times.
It's entirely pointless if your aiming at a triple-core CPU, it simply makes everything slower with scheduling overhead.

If they really wanted to to make an MMO then they should have started with a custom engine
They are not able to do "custom engine"! Why am I reading this again and again?

When CIG's customized bicycle breaks down, "should have constructed mars rocket" isn't the answer.

but then they wouldn't be able to produce high fidelity tech demos to show off at every gaming event
You realize that mediocre Crysis mods is all they can actually do?

N0mad

« Reply #188 on: October 07, 2018, 05:04:09 AM »
The current build is completely and utterly unstable, and completely unplayable. And that's what they're planning on releasing week of Oct 10th during CitizenCon.

So is that the Evocati build? The build that CR has bigged up on ATV as being the miracle technology to fix the performance problems?

N0mad

« Reply #189 on: October 07, 2018, 12:40:19 PM »
Just been thinking:

The 3.3.5 patch will be very interesting. They've now effectively promised Hurston before the end of the year. Sure, they could kick it into next year but they've now made such a big deal out of it that doing so would only anger the whales.

I'm not sure they can do it. Firstly they'd need OCS to work perfectly. Secondly: I'm not sure the game world is big enough, even with 64 bit positioning. Putting Hurston at any significant distance away could break everything as floating point errors start to creep in affecting everything from the physics to the graphics.

Still, I might be wrong and CIG have everything under control.

Bubba

« Reply #190 on: October 07, 2018, 01:38:04 PM »
The funny part is that, at the start of the year, they switched to a model where, regardless of progress made, they would have a version release every quarter. Now they can't even keep pace with a model that is pace-agnostic.

Honest, they're doing great.

Penny579

« Reply #191 on: October 07, 2018, 08:28:45 PM »
OCS in and 130fps confirmed!

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9m8094/133_stable_fps_boyys_the_new_age_is_comming/

I'll have to buy a new monitor with a refresh rate high to handle the performance I don't miss single pixel as I clip through the floor.

N0mad

« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2018, 05:26:32 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/9m8094/133_stable_fps_boyys_the_new_age_is_comming/

I'll have to buy a new monitor with a refresh rate high to handle the performance I don't miss single pixel as I clip through the floor.

Yeah, on a barren moon with only a single point light in the scene. My phone could handle that.

jwh1701

« Reply #193 on: October 08, 2018, 07:12:29 AM »

Lol all the videos of guys and ships clipping through the planets are great.

David-2

« Reply #194 on: October 08, 2018, 08:30:03 AM »
Yeah, on a barren moon with only a single point light in the scene. My phone could handle that.

Interesting that you say that.  Because the stats panel at the left shows this 130fps video is consistently (i.e., always) using >= 45% of all 16 cores!!. (Or maybe only 8 cores, if Hyperthreaded.  But still: >=45% of 8 cores.)

So the good news is CIG broke the parallelism barrier on the CPU.  Well done!

The bad news is: 45% of a 16 (or 8) core system and 90% of the GPU to handle the movement of a single avatar on a simple landscape.

(And a remaining question: Although a 19second clips seems sufficient to send r/starcitizen into an orgasm of specifying new hardware they'll buy to run this game ... why not a 130fps 19second clip of some sort of space battle - I mean, given that this is the BDSSE?)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk