Author Topic: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues  (Read 6556 times)

jwh1701

Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
« on: April 05, 2018, 07:22:31 AM »
Interested in this one as I like skyrim and still play it.
Shroud has had an interesting history one I think mirrors SC in someways.
Seeing the changes that have been brought in moves it clearly to p2w.
Also Richard the developer actually sold his own blood in vials online.

Vial of blood for 6k or 8k, Chris might want to give it a shot.
https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2016-07-08-richard-garriott-selling-vials-of-his-blood-on-ebay

Interesting review of the game and use of the world whales, review is off steam which has mixed reviews.

Dark Wombat
Posted: March 28
I have been such a fan of Richard Garriot over the years. From reading his life story in the Complete Book of Ultima several times, to diving deep into all of his classic Ultima’s. Even following his recent outer space adventures. I am such a fan, that I am one of the few who will defend BOTH Ultima VIII AND Ultima IX. I am his white knight. I am a fulltime, Garriott apologist. I am also an Ultima collector and a longtime member of the Ultima Dragons.

So why not take a stand and tell people this game is great? Why not stand up and tell people that it has a nice learning curve and there is something under the surface that is great? Why not say, Shroud of the Avatar is a solid piece of work?

Because I would be lying...

This game should have either been made as an open-ended single player Ultima 7-like deep, Skyrim-like rich RPG, with lots of DLC, or been made as close to Ultima Online as you can get. But trying to split the difference and please everyone is a mistake. Things end up suffering. I cannot and will not believe that Starr and Garriott with all things (and money) being equal, that this is their true vision. I want to play a game that they want to make for themselves, not a game that they are making for the masses. Some of the best pieces of music, art, movies and entertainment have come from talented individuals who made something out of pure selfishness; they made something THEY wanted to see. Ultima IV was a great example of total creativity. But here we have a game that is single player offline, single player online, multiplayer online, and….deep breath, etc, etc.

With login music thats sounds like something you would hear at cheesy renaissance faire, to annoying overworld map music of the same woman moaning over and over again I can't believe I had to turn this music off completely. The landscapes are uninteresting, and feel plain. The towns feel completely uninspired and the NPCs are lifeless and have nothing interesting to say. The performance is abysmal, as with a high end machine you will get nothing better than 25 to 30fps if you are lucky in a large city., which is completely unacceptable. The choice for a Unity engine was most definitely a poor one here.

Shroud tries to stick to it roots, and sacrifices gameplay. Why inherit the Ultima typing/keyword style conversation system inside an MMO chat window? It feels..off. An NPC portrait with text would have been 100 times better. The combat is as clunky as I have ever seen. This combat feels like a game from 1998. I do think the "deck" system idea has some potential however. it was nice to see fresh ideas as far as that goes. I will admit the crafting system does have some depth but there are so many annoying things such as your character walking slowly and doing a circle before he gathers something, because you can only mine that ore from the right side insiead of the left side.

What I do not understand is how or why this game was not only a Kickstarter game, but also why from the outset, it relied on and more importantly has ENABLED whales. As in, good luck getting any type of nice sized in game home without shelling out a lot of real world cash. For those of you who don’t know the term, “whales” represent approximately 2% of a games population that spends a ridiculous amount of money (hundreds and sometimes thousands of dollars) per month. I will not insult whales; after all, some of them keep some games afloat! What I will complain about here, is the nasty 5 letter word which all of this encompasses…”greed”. Garriott is one of the 10 wealthiest game designers in the world whose outer space vacation cost him a cool 30 million dollars. Does this strike you as someone who could use or even need a Kickstarter campaign to get the funds for his game off the ground? You see, he has already made money off of Shroud of the Avatar. There is less urgency now to deliver a good "Ultima worthy" product. Garriott is not working out of his closet anymore designing Ultima IV on an Apple computer. He is the last developer on the planet who needs a kickstarter campaign.

I am disapointed, and will go back to playing my classic Ultima games, and keep telling myself that these classic older Ultima games were created by a younger Garriott, who was on a brilliant path, before he lost his way...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Shroud of the Avatar: Forsaken Virtues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 08:59:38 AM »
I backed this, but have yet to play it. I did read that particular review when it first went up on Steam.

Not sure how long this game will last, but at least they shipped something.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2018, 05:21:58 PM »
I backed this, but have yet to play it. I did read that particular review when it first went up on Steam.

Not sure how long this game will last, but at least they shipped something.

Have you looked at The Elder Scrolls Online, really bad reviews when it was first released but the positives have greatly improved. Still on the fence of trying that one as well. Going to hold off on trying shroud till I see some positive progression.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 09:02:47 AM »
Nope, never played it, as I never had any interest in that one.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2018, 01:19:21 PM »
Was doing a little research and testing today and came across this:

https://sotasucks.wordpress.com/2014/05/27/shroud-of-the-avatar-not-properly-planned/

41:00 – Richard mentions Portalarium’s foray into social and mobile gaming was a disaster and talks about Portalarium having only enough funds to operate for another 3 months just before the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter was launched. He mentions receiving advice from Cloud Imperium Games (Chris Roberts / Star Citizen) about what it would take to do a Kickstarter, and then goes on to say that they started from literally nothing and put together the Shroud of the Avatar Kickstarter in 45 days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2660&v=gwdesp4g-KU#t=41m00s

Portalarium is setting themselves up to cash in on the rush of a virtual real estate bubble that so far has enabled them to raise over $4.25 million dollars.

People are paying anywhere from $275 to $12,000 for pledges including virtual real estate in their game, Shroud of the Avatar. Some are even buying multiple pieces of real estate for speculation or other purposes.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2018, 01:22:11 PM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2018, 11:02:54 AM »
They just went through a round of layoffs last week.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk