Author Topic: Warframe  (Read 7569 times)

jwh1701

Warframe
« on: July 09, 2018, 11:08:46 AM »
I actually tried this eons ago but after seeing the new updates I installed yesterday via steam. I was made aware of this from SC reddit yesterday. They have certainly improved the a lot of aspects of the game. Years ago there was a huge fallout from some of the top players on youtube against digital extremes and they had spent a small fortune on the game.

In typical SC fashion the backers made fun of the space combat while ignoring in 3.2 doors and ramps are still killers.

Interesting post on the design and programming:
https://twitter.com/sj_sinclair

Demo

Posted couple a times and still cannot believe people take me seriously.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/8wykzv/did_anyone_else_get_serious_star_citizen_vibes/

Steam Install Size:

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:15:32 AM by jwh1701 »

jwh1701

Re: Warframe
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 11:29:33 AM »
The drawing is showing 30km, I remember that cry engine was only doing 4km by 4km.
So the engine is doing 15km by 15km, but then he has stuff outside the 30km square to?

« Last Edit: July 09, 2018, 11:31:43 AM by jwh1701 »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 12:06:18 PM »
I actually have Twitter thread about this.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/1015978355311570944

I don't know why some people are comparing Warframe to Star Citizen all of a sudden. All they did was implement a much touted feature from Star Citizen, and which appears to work very well and seamlessly. That's not enough to make it any more competitor than COD:IW was to SQ42.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 12:31:51 PM »
The drawing is showing 30km, I remember that cry engine was only doing 4km by 4km.
So the engine is doing 15km by 15km, but then he has stuff outside the 30km square to?

Warframe is using UE4, not CryEngine.

UE4 supports up to 500 units in any direction. Each unit can be what you want it to be e.g. at 1 unit = 10mm, you would end up with a max scene size of 5000mm (or 5m).

Also, the recommended UE4 max map size is 20km in any direction; but you will start having physics issues after about 5km size. That's why to build a large map, you have to split it up into chunks, then stream it.

However, UE4 also supports dynamic origin shift (they call it world rebasing) - which is too technical and complex for me to explain. But basically, that, in conjunction with the UE4 streaming capability, you can basically have any map size you want.

Basically, to UE4, a 30km x 30km map size is nothing.

ps: Steve used to work for me before he went to DE, where he's been since.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 12:58:47 PM »
Warframe is using UE4, not CryEngine.

UE4 supports up to 500 units in any direction. Each unit can be what you want it to be e.g. at 1 unit = 10mm, you would end up with a max scene size of 5000mm (or 5m).

Also, the recommended UE4 max map size is 20km in any direction; but you will start having physics issues after about 5km size. That's why to build a large map, you have to split it up into chunks, then stream it.

However, UE4 also supports dynamic origin shift (they call it world rebasing) - which is too technical and complex for me to explain. But basically, that, in conjunction with the UE4 streaming capability, you can basically have any map size you want.

Basically, to UE4, a 30km x 30km map size is nothing.

ps: Steve used to work for me before he went to DE, where he's been since.

Sounds UEE4 would have a great deal better engine, I wonder if the rebasing would have been a better pursuit the OCS and all the other tehco jargo CIG has come up with to fix performance. Unless this is something so intertwined into the base engine it would have been impossible to implement into cryengine? Pretty cool he use to work with you from what I have seen they have really updated the engine since I tried it.

jwh1701

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:35:27 AM »
Long video on ship building, at  1:24:36 so one mentions warframe is turning into star citizen

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 02:08:39 PM »
Sounds UEE4 would have a great deal better engine,

Yes, it would have been. But back when they started UE4 wasn't recommended for use in shipping games. Of course nobody new back then that SC won't be reading in Nov 2014.

I wonder if the rebasing would have been a better pursuit the OCS and all the other tehco jargo CIG has come up with to fix performance.

That has no immediate effect on performance. It's just a method of having large scenes without running into floating point issues. I use a similar technique ("floating origin") in Line Of Defense due to the scene size limitations of the Havok Vision Engine which we used as the basis for our custom game engine, which we're now porting to UE4.

Unless this is something so intertwined into the base engine it would have been impossible to implement into cryengine?

All decent engines have some support for large scenes. However, how it's done, and the caveats it comes with, are the bigger issue. Most games never need scenes larger than what the base engine supports. There are CryEngine games with large scenes e.g. that one MMO they made with it years ago. It's also why even LumberYard doesn't recommend it. Some studios are using SpatialOS with Lumberyard as an option.

Pretty cool he use to work with you from what I have seen they have really updated the engine since I tried it.

Yeah, he's great and knows his shit.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk