Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1134791 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Caveat Emptor

Re: Star Citizen - The Citizenship
« Reply #1231 on: August 17, 2018, 10:16:25 AM »
Reddit seems to be fixating on the phrase 'in the business of...', assuming 'business' must mean a commercial activity with the aim of producing a profit. Does the phrase instead refer to 'any activity'? Eg:

If I say to someone 'mind your own business', then I'm saying 'concern yourself with your own activity, rather than my activity'.

Is this a reasonable interpretation?

N0mad

« Reply #1232 on: August 17, 2018, 11:31:43 AM »

Greggy_D

« Reply #1233 on: August 17, 2018, 11:38:04 AM »
The stupidity on display in this thread is astounding - I'm not even sure where to begin.

"There is no product unless it is released."   :huh: :shocked: :grin:

N0mad

« Reply #1234 on: August 17, 2018, 11:57:21 AM »
I think it would be easier to paint Crytek as an evil greedy company here.

And Crytek has admitted that they don't know if CIG did something wrong. And now they have lost two cornerstones of their case, including the only one that could have granted them a suitable amount of money.

The defendants are using lumberyard. Filing an injunction for open source code is absurd.

Is cig in the business of promoting lumberyard?

So how can simply buying something be considered a business? Displaying the logo is a part of the cost of the purchase. They bought Lumberyard to develop Star Citizen. CIG is in the business of developing games, not in the business of promoting game engines.

But CIG isn't doing any of that. Amazon is. CIG is building a game using a competing engine but is not directly promoting it or developing it for the intent of competing with CryTek. There is a difference between using a product and selling it.

Desperation sets in as Crtyek starts realizing it's becoming more and more likely they will be stuck with the bill for court costs (see California laws) so tries to rephrase more requests to at least try and speed up the process to get a look at and steal modifications to the code CIG has been working on so that they can at least recoup some of their loss before it goes to trail and is laughed out by the jury.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1235 on: August 17, 2018, 01:41:53 PM »
The stupidity on display in this thread is astounding - I'm not even sure where to begin.

Don't even begin to rationalize it. Just lol. Incessantly and repeatedly.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1236 on: August 17, 2018, 01:42:49 PM »
"There is no product unless it is released."   :huh: :shocked: :grin:

Yeah I saw that and I damn near pissed my pants with laughter. Then I remembered that these are the same chucklefucks buying JPEGs for a vaporware game.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1237 on: August 17, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
Reddit seems to be fixating on the phrase 'in the business of...', assuming 'business' must mean a commercial activity with the aim of producing a profit. Does the phrase instead refer to 'any activity'? Eg:

If I say to someone 'mind your own business', then I'm saying 'concern yourself with your own activity, rather than my activity'.

Is this a reasonable interpretation?

If american/Californian law is anything like european in that regard and my memory isn't failing, being in the business of something means anything you're doing to gain a living by. So yes commercial profit - but! - Every action in helping you with said primary intent, will most often also be seen as a business action. Take advertisments themselves - no advertisment(for the core companies) in the world is producing direct revenue, as no one is paying to seeing it (well at least generally speaking).
And as long as no one is showing me anything to the contrary for competition clauses or america, i assume it will be the same here.

@ Derek

Well especially funny, as the GLA defined what would count as product.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

jwh1701

« Reply #1239 on: August 20, 2018, 05:56:21 AM »
Meanwhile over there...

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/was-ship-sales-in-3-3-a-lie

The comments show a complete disconnect with reality, best quote: CIG shouldn't even have a sales team, you guys will shill for them

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1240 on: August 20, 2018, 06:40:54 AM »
That's nuthin'. Check this out. And he's probably not even joking.

I've sent the judge in the Crytek case a letter informing her about how SC is not just a regular game and how she should ensure that the case does not proceed any further unless she wants to harm innovation. I suggest everyone does the same.I've sent the judge in the Crytek case a letter informing her about how SC is not just a regular game and how she should ensure that the case does not proceed any further unless she wants to harm innovation. I suggest everyone does the same.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/98may3/the_past_4_years_were_weak_but_the_4_coming_ones/e4hy1ki

Meowz

« Reply #1241 on: August 20, 2018, 06:51:55 AM »

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/98may3/the_past_4_years_were_weak_but_the_4_coming_ones/e4hy1ki
lol He's a refundee. It was a troll post, the sad thing is that his post seems 100% realistic as behavior of the fanboys. I wouldn't be surprised if someone actually did what he is being sarcastic about.

jwh1701

« Reply #1242 on: August 20, 2018, 09:24:18 AM »

Lol sad part is I can believe that, when I get home I will need to help out in the cigvscrytech reddit.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

StanTheMan

« Reply #1244 on: August 27, 2018, 01:24:47 PM »
Remind you of a certain games Backers ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk