Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075828 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Sad Citizens
« Reply #165 on: July 19, 2017, 03:13:48 PM »
For those of you who don't subscribe to SomethingAwful, Gorf made a post I wanted to share so that backers get to see it.

Quote from: G0RF
Whew!

So it took me awhile to read through all the comments about the chart on /Games. Though there were lots of crazed invocations of Derek Smart, demonizations of goons, and other overreactions, I did see a few fair criticisms that I've addressed in this latest update.

1). The inclusion of the reduction percentages was redundant. Fair enough. I deleted that.

2) Chris' quote didn't include his "I get shot for making promises but that's our goal" escape clause, the line that retroactively makes it all okay. So I included that, too.

3) I also added his mention of the 30 to 40 space stations that would be coming in 3.0. (We'll see how that turns out.)

4) I also fixed a graphical problem that had white boxes behind the Planet names in the Stanton layout.

So here's the latest version. If you're a DS lurker who feels like the last one was flawed or shortchanged Chris's quote, hopefully you might find this an improvement. I'm trying to be fair, even if stern.

I have to admit, lurking friends, some of your reactions were a little frustrating, given that I'd tried to avoid editorializing. The focus of the piece was timelines, quotes, and scopes for Star Systems in Alpha 3.0.

The accusations that the infographic was a part of some organized FUD campaign were especially ironic, given that some of you tried to preemptively trying to counter an anticipated Derek Smart tweet and in so doing ended up creating a non-paywalled source for the /Games OP to reference.

"They put so much work into this. We record it we make some comments and that's it. Smarties have absolutely no reach beyond their own echo chamber."

I didn't make the chart hoping for a /GAMES thread to blow up, or a MassivelyOP mention, or a psychodrama to unfold on /DS. I made it for my friends here on the forum, most of whom I haven't interacted with in a year, because organizing historical facts is something I like to do. It's clear to us by now that Chris Roberts doesn't learn from history because he keeps repeating it, so we keep discussing it, yet what I don't understand is why you keep defending it?

Surely I have my own biases, as do we all, but why rage about what strangers think on some random forum? Your recurring tendency to discount the observable past while exaggerating the imagined future produces the present tensions that discomfit you so. The relief you seek yet can't find won't come from excoriating random nobodies for discussing their opinions about troubling development issues or deceptive sales tactics. You are the publisher. The ones to whom pledges have been made for accountability and openness. You're intellectually and emotionally malnourished from the parody of it served up by a guy who believes himself accountable to no one and above all reproach. A man who hasn't once in the entire history of this project ever apologized for anything despite having either intentionally or inadvertently mislead you about matters of genuine consequence for years.

You deserve better than to be full-time apologists for that. I sincerely believe that --- why don't you?
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 03:44:32 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #166 on: July 20, 2017, 12:10:18 PM »
These guys are fucking awful.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/what-am-i-missing

What am I missing?

So, I have had this game for just a short while and.... I don't get it. To be honest, I feel that 1 of 2 options are the only answers to my confusion. Either I am totally missing something, or I got totally ripped off.

Before I purchased the game, I saw ads and trailers showing beautiful scenery, awesome graphics and interesting game play, so I bought the game along with what looked like an awesome addition: Squadron 42. watched videos and did my best to read or at least skim through all the information on the website.
I buy the game and Squadron 42, download, install and fire it up... Now, what can I do?

Well, from what I can tell, not a whole lot. First of all, on the "buy this game" page, there are zero obvious statements about the fact that Squadron 42 has not been released. Then I find out that release is long past the projected release dates. I just looked again and still see nothing that says, "Oh by the way, Squadron 42 is not out yet and we have no clue when it will be." Wow. I totally feel ripped off but, OK, maybe I didn't read everything and missed something. Potentially, my mistake but then, I start to play the other parts of the game. There is a FPS mode I see so I check it out. Uhmm... Hmmm... Well, not impressed. I have several FPS games and this is no better. (Ripped off feeling creeping in again.) OK, let me check out the persistent universe. Well, I see a small number of missions that are all seemingly identical; repair relays. These missions proceed as such: Fly to point A; get attacked by pirates; if you survive, float through space structure and push a button; return to my ship. I can't kill the pirates yet but have watched enough videos to know what happens when you do. Then I see another mission where I have to investigate some woman's husband. I go to another space structure, go inside, float around till I find an active panel, push a button, return to my ship and that's it.

The control configuration menus are absolutely confusing and when I tried to setup my HOTAS, all it did was screw everything up and it took me hours to figure out what the problem was. I still have not tried to set up back up.

What am I missing? I saw things saying I would be able to do anything but so far I see very little I can actually do.

I love Elite Dangerous. I can ship goods (buying low and selling high), I can fly passengers around and make good money with little risk, I can land on planets and explore, I can go on planetary missions and get paid for scanning beacons and destroying skimmers, I can mine, I can fight pirates, I can be a pirate, I can get into power play and politics, I have multiple add on programs I can, and do, use and if all I want to do is try to go to the furthest reaches of space, I can do that and get my name tagged for discovering something nobody else has. There are engineers I can travel to so I can make special modifications and improvements to my ships and much more I am either forgetting or have yet to learn.

So now I start up Star Citizen and wonder, am I missing a ton of things, or did I get totally scammed by the classic "bait and switch"?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #167 on: July 21, 2017, 08:38:11 AM »
These guys are fucking awful.

https://robertsspaceindustries.com/spectrum/community/SC/forum/3/thread/what-am-i-missing

What am I missing?

...stuff...

BUT DEREK, blablablablablabalblablabla ALPHA!

Never mind that this is some definition of alpha that has never before been used in the gaming industry (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Alpha).
God, if these idiots actually took a look at the common usage of terminology they would see that it would be very debatable to even call Star Citizen PRE-ALPHA.

Motto

« Reply #168 on: July 21, 2017, 08:57:24 AM »
The best way to describe SC would be pre-death I guess...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #169 on: July 21, 2017, 04:09:40 PM »

StanTheMan

« Reply #170 on: July 21, 2017, 07:36:35 PM »
Oh this one is even better.

After 8 years development, for gold only 5 Systems?

And the people replying are all talking out of their arses.

"we are getting more content than promised ..."

They stumble accross the evidence that they are not getting the features they were sold, explore that a little because it troubles them .. then they make excuses and move on...
« Last Edit: July 21, 2017, 07:44:35 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #171 on: July 24, 2017, 04:48:22 PM »

Flashwit

« Reply #172 on: July 25, 2017, 09:00:49 AM »
So it looks like we're slowly getting to the point where it really is only the hardest of the hardcore that are going to keep putting their fingers in their ears then.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #173 on: July 25, 2017, 09:19:36 AM »
So it looks like we're slowly getting to the point where it really is only the hardest of the hardcore that are going to keep putting their fingers in their ears then.

Yeah, we have two main castes left now:

1) hardcore believers

2) money launderers

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #174 on: July 25, 2017, 04:21:17 PM »
Wth? How is this my fault? FF to 1:48

Things she's arrived at

1) The entire thing is being reworked for 3.0 essentially rendering the entire alpha process so far useless
2) Delta patcher still doesnt exist and its being used as an excuse by CIG to not actually do proper alpha testing of systems
3) CIG is marketing every single part of the alpha testing experience and not actually conducting any testing
4) No content has been released for nearly 8 months
5) This is all the fault of the Derek Smarts and naysayers of the world

This is the type of people still being bamboozled by CIG.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2017, 04:48:36 PM by dsmart »

StanTheMan

« Reply #175 on: July 25, 2017, 05:04:12 PM »

Things she's arrived at

1) The entire thing is being reworked for 3.0 essentially rendering the entire alpha process so far useless
2) Delta patcher still doesnt exist and its being used as an excuse by CIG to not actually do proper alpha testing of systems
3) CIG is marketing every single part of the alpha testing experience and not actually conducting any testing
4) No content has been released for nearly 8 months
5) This is all the fault of the Derek Smarts and naysayers of the world

This is the type of people still being bamboozled by CIG.

The only thing she has been pulling back is her foreskin.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #176 on: July 25, 2017, 06:23:15 PM »
The only thing she has been pulling back is her foreskin.

OMG!! Man, that was harsh.  :cop:

Motto

« Reply #177 on: July 26, 2017, 04:35:34 AM »

Well, that's obvious I'd say. CIG was a very open, userfriendly environment where the backers were all equal partners to Chris. Development was in the open, backer participation was the highest goal and full disclosure of everything going on at CIG was the second most important thing in this universe. Making the BDSSE being the first most important thing in the universe of course. So no problems.

But then came Derek and he started saying some nasty things. And since then, CIG decided to keep everything to themselves and only treating backers as people who should give them more money. And because of Derek, they stopped making the BDSSE and they don't want to make love to the backers anymore. The CIG universe has collapsed because Derek once said that he didn't like Chris. I see her point.

The fact that this whole game gradually had to turn into a money grabbing Ponzi scheme because Chris is an utter moron, that of course has nothing to do how backers now are treated by CIG. No no, nothing at all. It's all because of Derek.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2017, 03:35:35 AM by Motto »

Flashwit

« Reply #178 on: July 26, 2017, 08:55:13 AM »
Seriously guys, we're going to make anti-trans insults here now? Don't be shitbags.

Flashwit

« Reply #179 on: July 27, 2017, 08:48:56 AM »
Yes, I'm aware of both these guys and they're both assholes. I would not be into using them as a resource for how to act. Don't defer to 'authority' as an excuse for how you act.
Anyway, it's not the point of this forum, but beating down on an oppressed group is not the best look. "I insult everyone equally" is a weak cover.

I come here for star citizen coverage, not neoconservative viewpoints.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk