Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1076057 times)

DemonInvestor

Re: The Star Citizenship
« Reply #570 on: December 03, 2017, 03:01:02 PM »
What always makes me wonder is how many people are arguing about it being X years since they started working on it, when the more interesting metric would be which first release estimate they'd given us.

N0mad

« Reply #571 on: December 03, 2017, 03:23:30 PM »
What always makes me wonder is how many people are arguing about it being X years since they started working on it, when the more interesting metric would be which first release estimate they'd given us.

It's more a matter that they don't like being reminded that they've waited 6 year for an unplayable, buggy pre alpha 3.0 - they can't bear the thought that the critics of the game might be right so they try to justify it to themselves - this is just the latest attempt to re-write history. The really interesting thing is that this stupid post has had 191 upvotes over the last 13 hours and now appears half way down the sub Reddit page. It has over 300 comments, but unusually for the SC Reddit almost all those comments are disagreeing with the original author, with only a handful defending it - not something I ever thought I'd see.

I think the reddit crowd might be finally waking up to the disaster that SC has become.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #572 on: December 04, 2017, 06:03:52 AM »
More hilarity as the SC sub reddit denizens turn on each other:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/7h8r2r/i_hate_it_when_someone_says_its_been_6_years_in/

Some idiot (50 upvotes after 4 hours) is trying to argue that SC has actually been in development for 3.5 years. Even the zealots are finding fault with this one.

The sequence  - as I understand it - is essentially

2011 - Development of Star Citizen (original) begins
2012 - October; Kickstarter launches
2013 - September; F42 incorporated
2013 - October 18; $23 million (the figure at which no outside investor is needed) raised
2015 - April, Foundry 42 Frankfurt created
2017 - January, 2.6 released
2017 - December, 3.0 released (presumed)

2011 to 2017, gives 6 years, heading onto 7. All that pre-production work? it counts as part of the game development.

I do note that there seems to be some confusion about when CIG was actually founded.
Some sites give a date of 2010, some of 2012. CIGs own site apparently once said 2011, but that page has been removed. I'd be inclined to go with 2010 myself as there had to be somebody doing the work in 2011 when development started.

In 2010 Chris was shopping the project around to publishers and investors, all of them told him to fuck off. Then by 2011, he was already working with the CryTek guys to build the launch trailer and assets, having decided to use their engine. They saw Chris Roberts name, and the chance to boost the profile of the engine, while making some money in the process.

The most hilarious thing is that all this argument about when it started, is meaningless and doesn't matter. What matters is that in 2012, he claimed that he could build the game for $2M and deliver it by Nov 2014 (+ 18 months leeway for delays, as per the TOS). He then extended the scope and by Nov 2014, had raised $65M.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #573 on: December 04, 2017, 09:48:48 AM »
You know though, I think in full fairness CIG hadn't REALLY ramped up until Q1 of this year. So if you think about it, it's actually been in development less than a year!

Bravo CIG, looking good in such a short time period!

DemonInvestor

« Reply #574 on: December 04, 2017, 12:35:16 PM »
You know though, I think in full fairness CIG hadn't REALLY ramped up until Q1 of this year. So if you think about it, it's actually been in development less than a year!

Bravo CIG, looking good in such a short time period!

They go to sleep in the night, meaning they've to ramping up their productivity every morning. Meaning they just started today  :smuggo:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #575 on: December 04, 2017, 01:43:07 PM »
LOL!!

Star Citizen Defense Playbook:

Timeline Criticisms:
  • CIG had to build a company from scratch, including hiring, building studios around the globe, etc.
  • R&D doesn't count.
  • All those games had engines already made. CIG is building their engine from scratch. It is called "Star Engine."
  • Those other games actually started development and R&D way before those dates, don't you know anything?
  • Star Citizen already has way more content than any of those games.
  • Star Citizen is doing something that literally no one has ever attempted before. Ground-breaking innovations take time.
  • Those games are bad because money-grubbing publishers forced them out the door before devs could make them into something good. Star Citizen doesn't have publishers, and no deadlines, so this means Star Citizen will be better.
  • This new era of gamers are impatient little bitches. I don't mind the wait, I have patience. I keep pledging so Chris Roberts will have as much time as he needs to recognize his vision.

Bugs, Lack of Content Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is more transparent than any other company, ever. You're seeing how the sausage is made.
  • There is way more content than they are showing us because they don't want to spoil it.
  • What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.
  • You obviously don't understand game development. Bugs like this are totally normal for a game in this stage of development. Have you ever heard of Alpha??
  • Don't be a part of early access if you can't handle some bugs.
  • All of those things you just listed are on the schedule, they will be delivered in <patch number>
  • They are doing a lot of the ground-work tech / pipelines that will pave the way for faster content creation later.
  • Oh, they already have the tech for <most of new feature that came out of nowhere>, it's not much effort to add.

Funding Model, Sales, Marketing Criticisms
  • Star Citizen is doing something different. They are bypassing the greedy publisher model only cares about profit and kills innovation.
  • Nobody is forcing you to pledge.
  • I backed the game because I believe in Chris Roberts's vision, it's the game I've always dreamed of playing.
  • All the ships that can be bought can be acquired in-game, therefore not pay-to-win.
  • The game does not have subscriptions. You can subscribe to help pay for weekly content which gives us insights into game development never before seen.
  • You're not buying land! You're buying the ability to claim land. Huge difference.
  • It's not a scam. They have offices all over the world and the game is playable right now.
  • CIG is not in any kind of financial trouble, just look at the funding tracker.

General Rebuttals
  • Why are you even commenting if you hate the game so much? What kind of sad person just goes around tearing things down?
  • Oh look, another Derek Smart alt trying to spread lies and mis-information about Star Citizen because he's jealous.
  • Known troll/goon. Downvote and move on.
  • How many AAA games have YOU released?
  • You are entitled to NOTHING.
  • Even if the game never comes out, I’m proud to be a part of it, at least Chris is trying.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #576 on: December 04, 2017, 02:00:26 PM »
Can we add? I'm missing Stop spreading FUD.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #577 on: December 04, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »
*MOVED*

FailureToReport being open and honest about why he finally joined us on the dark side

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #578 on: December 04, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »
Meanwhile, over on Spectrum

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #579 on: December 04, 2017, 05:57:07 PM »
LOL!! You think?  :laugh:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/715v83/as_someone_whos_never_played_star_citizen_i_have/

Here, we can help you with that. It's amazing what you can see when you get through their echo chamber cult chamber.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/controversial/?sort=controversial&t=all
« Last Edit: December 04, 2017, 06:01:54 PM by dsmart »

nightfire

« Reply #580 on: December 05, 2017, 05:35:23 AM »
Star Citizen Defense Playbook:

* What are you talking about? I just spent <X> hours playing the game it's great/runs great/no bugs/perfectly smooth/amazing.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/7hhbae/failure_to_report_insight_on_the_cult_of_star/dqrunmh/

StanTheMan

« Reply #581 on: December 05, 2017, 06:15:45 AM »
Can we add? I'm missing Stop spreading FUD.

and even if the game isnt released I have already had my $ worth and then some

Flashwit

« Reply #582 on: December 05, 2017, 09:36:14 AM »
Meanwhile, over on Spectrum

[img]https://i.imgur.com/mdG3k2V.png[img]

This is exactly what I think will get them in the end. The longer they go without releasing anything the worse it is for them. They've realized that so they're forcing out 3.0, but of course it's a piece of garbage so that isn't going to work either. They've finally painted themselves into a corner with their conflict of release schedule vs. stability. And since they're shit at both of those, there's no coming back.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #583 on: December 05, 2017, 10:24:19 AM »
So Fuzzy Modem, the Star Citizen backer, finalist in their Next Great Starship competition, and a big fan of Sandi Gardiner, is finally off to jail for child abuse.

And from the archives, this is Sandi Gardiner in 2014 for that competition, pretending (I didn't break the news until July 2015) she wasn't married to croberts

nightfire

« Reply #584 on: December 05, 2017, 10:51:11 AM »
And from the archives, this is Sandi Gardiner in 2014 for that competition, pretending (I didn't break the news until July 2015) she wasn't married to croberts

I’ve grown so allergic to those Wavy Hands by now that my heart almost stops everytime someone else on screen makes a gesture.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk