Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1074483 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: The Star Citizenship
« Reply #750 on: February 01, 2018, 08:57:25 AM »
Gorf over on SA has a write-up about a recent Star Citizen stream by the Usual Suspects

YOUTUBE: Redacted - 1/31/2018 - Highlight Reel

Doing this to give you guys and gals a temperature reading from three regulars and their audience.

(Note to Twerk, Bored, and WTFO, as I assume at least one of you checks this thread on the regular... The audience calls are great — so were some submitted questions from your viewers. Particularly in this period of indeterminable waiting for the gameplay to arrive, you might consider moving this segment forward because it rewards the direct audience interaction and makes the show feel more like a dynamic conversation rather than just a “let’s discuss this week’s disappointments, delays and controversies.” I almost bailed on your show because the further out on CIG’s roadmap you got, the more caution seemed to give way to hope and theorycrafting. But the calls were worth it and added a real shot of color to your show so I hope you’ll give them their proper place. You might find viewership climb and engagement goes up if viewer calls become a prominent fixture. Anyway, just my $.02.)

Twerk & WTFOsaurus don’t care about ships anymore...

WTFOsaurus expects Bind Culling to add 3 to 5 additional frames per second.

Twerk played other games this week, the. Came back to Star Citizen and felt nauseous.

3.2 is discussed, particularly the new clothing options. Twerk, “They’re redoing Legacy Armor for the third fucking time. Later, “I’m starting to feel like... am I being negative? Or have we wasted time.”

Discussions shift to the impossible laundry list of 3.2 gameplay features supposedly coming. Twerk asks Bored what they should name their Mining operation. Bored, “I don’t know — I haven’t even thought about it. I can’t imagine gameplay.”

Boredom and theorycrafting until they take a question from voicemail from a player called Commander420. He seems to make a subtle joke about being one of their weed dealers. The voicemail is actually :lol::lol::lol: in a goofy, committed way and worth listening to.

A boring theorycrafter’s voicemail follows, and then TheOperator calls bullcrap on CIG and aUEC ship sales. He thinks starter ships may be purchaseable via credit but that the ships people want will remain cashmoneysales only because CIG is too greedy to do otherwise. He expects Land Claims and player housing / buildings / apartments will be aUEC purchasable (an interesting alternative option) but the good ships? No way. WTFO agrees short term, but for launch CIG surely won’t go back on that promised feature.

They take a write-in question about Haters who spam theories of doom regarding the Crytek lawsuit. They recommend French & YoutuberLaw videos.

CrimsonFire: “Why are they making Shipjacking Armor if we can’t properly steal ships?” Boom! They all crack up because whatelseyagonnado?

There is more I skipped but this is a decent highlight reel. The best moment was Commander420’s call — I :lol:’d.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #751 on: February 03, 2018, 08:52:42 AM »
So Streetroller filed a bullshit lawsuit against Chris Roberts. I told him so, and now he's mad and creating drama over it. That's the thing with some people, you always have to agree with them otherwise you run afoul of their ire.

My response which was originally posted here.

1) He filed a [bullshit] lawsuit against croberts which to me is just distracting and when it fails - as I am 100% certain that it will - will just be fodder for those chucklefucks to latch onto

2) So I told him all of the above. In his usual fashion, while perched in his wheelchair (as you've seen, he oft brings this up as some sort of excuse) playing the victim as he is won to do, he was upset about what myself and others told him.

3) He came back and claimed to have filed the lawsuit. nobody could find it. when asked for proof, he started running around in circles while hurling insults at everyone in the channel (I actually exported all of it) for "doubting him and calling him a liar". Basically the same bullshit he posted above and which was excerpted.

4) A few days ago this past Tues, he popped back up on a secure channel and posted an image of the flawed filing, with the words "Have Fun" without any context. here on SA, you get banned for posting a meme without context, as I found out just days ago.

5) I saw it, challenged him on why he was posting it there instead of in the channel where that discussion was already happening. I then deleted it, and re-posted it. Unfortunately, unlike the version which he previously posted here on SA and which was redacted, he posted an un-redacted version which Daz then deleted while I was offline.

6) He came back to the channel and kicked up a hissy fit (his posts are still there) that I was out to get him, that if he got aggro in RL over my posting of an un-redacted image which HE posted in my channel, that it would be my fault. After I stopped laughing, I reminded* him that the image was removed, and that even the one that was partially redacted still had info which would allow anyone to search for and pull up the PUBLIC case, which also showed the same info he tried to redact.

Then he claimed that my posting of an image HE created and posted UN-REDACTED, was doxxing.  :lol:

* NOTE: Following my telling him this, he came back to SA and removed the redacted image. If you go to the link above, you will see that he removed it, though it is still online at https://i.gyazo.com

7) I then went looking to see how/when he even had access to that Level8 channel. I then removed him from there and notified him. I talked to the other mods to find out how he got access, and it came to be that it was back in Aug 2016 following my blog on his refund fight with CIG. When we streamlined the channel and split it, he wasn't removed from it.

8) He came back - again - all bent out of shape and with something new to bitch about because he took my removing him from the secure channel as an attack on him.

9) He subsequently rage-quit from the server, then came to SA to continue his attention-seeking drama.

10) He's been on a roll since. So I blocked him here.

« Last Edit: February 03, 2018, 11:11:27 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #752 on: February 03, 2018, 10:53:23 AM »
That's what happens when you decide not to take your meds anymore. Seriously.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #753 on: February 03, 2018, 11:06:50 AM »
That's what happens when you decide not to take your meds anymore. Seriously.

Indeed.  :doh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #754 on: February 05, 2018, 05:12:47 AM »
Deleted from Spectrum

It's been one month after the premature disaster launch of 3.0. Ignoring that most of what 3.0 was supposed to be was pushed to 3.1, it is simply unacceptable on all levels that nothing has been done about it. That there is no visible effort to address it. You may say; 3.1 will fix it. And I say; when? This should have been fixed yesterday. And why should I believe that 3.1 will help? They have never delivered in the past. Not one single deadline has ever been met. And most releases have been lacking compared to what they said they would have. So why is 3.1 any different?

I was patient when they missed the original November 2014 release date. I thought it was too optimistic from the start. I was patient when Squadron 42 Episode 1 failed to materialize. I was patient when 2.0 released full of bugs and with nearly no content, thinking they would deliver on their promises for monthly updates. I was patient when Star Marine failed to materialize, thinking it was just a testing module. I was patient when 3.0 was delayed for weeks, then months, then more months, and then a whole year. They said it was almost nearly done in December of 2016. Yet they talked about just having started developing basic features for it in October of 2017. How can both be true? They were blowing smoke up my for an entire year. So why should I believe anything they say now? I don't want to hear any more lies. My patience has run out. I want action now.

You give people for calling it a scam but that's exactly what it looks like. Give me one good reason not to pursue a refund.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Motto

« Reply #756 on: February 07, 2018, 12:38:07 PM »
And still expecting a game to rise from it all  :vince:

StanTheMan

« Reply #757 on: February 07, 2018, 04:58:06 PM »
Because, you know, the bat shit crazy expectations that get instilled into the community by the community.

This one blames Backers for expecting things to be delivered that CRoberts told them they were going to get years ago.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #758 on: February 08, 2018, 08:04:27 AM »
self-awareness starts @ 9:23

jwh1701

« Reply #759 on: February 08, 2018, 06:05:53 PM »
self-awareness starts @ 9:23

Crazy thing is they still believe, starting little after the 24 min. Spectrum has a lot of negative press from the interdiction's. Sort of reminds me of elite/h interdiction's and this song of it. I hate the unrealistic interdiction's in e/h. I always have radar expanded watching for them to interdict, but since they can zoom in way faster and beyond what any ship you can buy its impossible to evade.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #760 on: February 09, 2018, 03:49:32 PM »
LOL!! So this happened on the live ED stream

jwh1701

« Reply #761 on: February 09, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
LOL!! So this happened on the live ED stream

That is absolutely hilarious to see that, great find!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #762 on: February 12, 2018, 01:26:14 PM »
We're shocked that this post is still standing. Though chances are that, as has happened in the past, once I Tweet about it, that's sure to get the ball rolling to have it removed.

So, let's go.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #763 on: February 12, 2018, 02:57:38 PM »
Gorf is at at again.

(I can’t believe you’ve had this many replies and nobody said “Nice meltdown.” And nobody pointed out you spelled “defenestrate” incorrectly either.  Oh well I won’t break the streak.)

My reply is late so please ignore this if the thread moved on. Seems you made an earnest effort with your defenestration effortpost so I might as well do the same in reply.

“It's to defenstrate this notion that crowdfunding of this magnitude is bad.”

Well that’s a surprising mission statement at this point. MoMA, defenestrator of erroneous notions about crowdfunding at scale, etc.. I just assumed you stayed for the camaraderie and already made peace with the project malaise. I guess I misread that.

It’s honesty been a while since Erin, Sandi or Archer (!) have really been in the hot seat. Feels like Papy’s been made the heat sink for backer dreams this season in his new role. Poor bastard. Oh and Lando, too — laying it on thicker than ever, convincing no one, and leaving many of us nostalgic for the earnestness of the trueblood fanboy Lesnick.

Nobody here thinks Sandi does the Marketing nor have they for ages — she shows up for ATV, occasionally twitters, pursues the next cutting room floor gig with that indomitable drive of hers, drives away Marketing subordinates quarterly, and hits a stage twice a year to tearfully giggle before a crowd as if each new appearance was her accepting a lifetime achievement award for humanitarian work rather than being a big awkward reminder she’s still making fat bank for reading scripts about marginal progress underway for a game she cares not a whit about.

As for Erin and Chris, they both seem to be shrinking and retreating. Chris has pivoted back to Squadron oversight again so that should pretty much kill its hope of release in the next couple of years. Erin was supposed to be a confidence builder for the backers but at this point his machine gun stammer and worrying health signs just seem to heighten anxieties. He may be better off letting the Dukes of High Chill, Papy and Chambers, do the talking. Neither look like they’re about to grab their chest and start gasping — which is optically a more helpful look.

I don’t know how it looks from where you stand but it sure feels to me like 2017 was the year that the expansionist vision of Star Citizen surrendered to contraction and resignation, even though neither CIG nor backers are openly speaking of it. Capitulation is felt and seen everywhere even though old habits die hard and routines run habitually. It’s depressingly thin gruel for comedy sometimes but we do what we can.

CONSIDER THE LIVESTREAMERS

You can really see it on the regular fan livestreams. Redacted, Relay, the Captain’s Table, the Space Bro Show. Nobody is playing the release they spent a year and a half hyped to max about.

It’s widely agreed that 3.01 is unplayable. If it’s not the framerates, it’s the interdictions. If not the interdictions, the broken missions. So everybody’s jamming on Tarkov, Fortnite, Monster Hunter or something, anything else but Star Citizen during their daily streams and when they get together for their weekly discussions with other streamers, they theorycraft about 3.2, 4.0, “what I will do when (x) is in the game”, or they grouse politely about CIG’s gaffes of the last week. The old routines run out of duty, habit, compulsion — even though they rely on an assumption nobody really seems to believe anymore:

“The game will one day be fixed, fun and make possible all of these theorycrafted possibilities for gameplay I’ve been clinging to for years and do so better than all games that came before it.”

(Just listen to Erris on this week’s Relay craptalking about Bethesda’s supposedly terrible lockpicking mechanics and you’ll see him employ this when theorycrafting CIG’s better [but as yet totally undefined] way of implementing hacking in the game...)

The routines die hard, but even the longtime loyalists are exhausted, losing faith, watching the last dimly glowing embers of what was once white hot hope slowly crumble off as ash. Even if stability and performance weren’t such a brutal tax, the meager loops and frustratingly implemented play mechanics in the game are a drag as designed — a fact that guys like Luke Pressley at Foundry openly admit. There’s a huge burden to fix not just what is broken to make what isn’t broken Fun. In year 6.

Erris’s desperate pleading that “We need Chris, too” because “Chris gives me faith” a couple of weeks ago was a miserable damn sight; a dreamoholic with cirrhosis of the brain begging for a shot of the hair of the dog that bit him. Chris’s confidence helps Erris run the magic routine. But Chris is retreating, closing up, slipping away and he might as well, he may be symbolic source of hope for the dreamer collective but he’s the practical source of the project malaise just as Lucas was for the prequels.

Batgirl watched CIG revoke her backstage VIP pass right after they maximized the chance to squeeze it for a little extra CitizenCon 2017 hype — cold-blooded, considering how loyal she’s been and for how long. Now she’s venturing into constructive criticism.

Dan Gheesling said his pained goodbyes after explaining 3.0 didn’t have enough to keep either him or his viewers engaged.

BadNewsBaron wrote an essay of defense of Star Citizen on Medium.com a little while back, but he too has moved on quietly to new games.

Twerk probably didn’t realize the irony last week when he openly bemoaned that the bigger ships made for terrible FPS levels and it really needed fixing — he was only just now seeing problems that Heretic Beer4theBeerGod had written extensive warnings about three years ago. Good thing CIG drove out such voices and left the community a safe space for asskissers and theorycrafters — they’ll have only each other to feed on as they get exactly what they asked for all along, Chris Roberts’s unalloyed vision of the Best Damn Space Sim Ever.

The malaise is everywhere — the sense that things have gone horribly wrong is widely felt though not widely acknowledged. It’s the subtext of nearly all discussions about the game between fans and streamers and even from CIG themselves yet never the text save for places like here, or Frontier forums, Derek’s blogs, the refunds subreddit, MassivelyOP or other little heretical outposts here and there. (There’s another very interesting one but I’ll write about that later.)

If the thread feels like a broken record, MoMA well, it’s in part because malaise has been the story here for years.

CIG really seems to be shrinking before our eyes and putting greater distance between leadership and the public than in the dumb ol’ days. Most of the energy and enthusiasm these days has shifted to arguing about the Crytek lawsuit because at least that has a wide range of possible outcomes and will make winners and losers of those playing prediction games. That game has no designer, it’s been improvised on the fly by critics and fans serving their time-honored roles on a new battlefield, yet even that game is a better game than Chris has managed to put out after $180 Million and six years of effort. Seems like that says quite a lot, little of it good.

I still enjoy your participation in the thread, MoMA. How you spend your money is your business and if you want to use big $0.25 words in effort posts I’m hardly one to throw stones. You do you, even if you like to rock the :smuggo: maybe more than you should and the :gary: not enough.

Flashwit

« Reply #764 on: February 13, 2018, 09:36:15 AM »
That Spectrum post is really something. And still holding steady in its existence and positive responses.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk