Author Topic: Star Citizen Citizenship  (Read 1075804 times)

jwh1701

Re: Star Citizen - The Citizenship
« Reply #930 on: April 30, 2018, 08:12:54 AM »
Why after 5 years i still fully support Star Citizen

It's almost as if they keep making these types of posts in order to convince themselves that they made the right choice to support a full blown scam.

This poor person is exhibiting some very serious Stockholm syndrome.

"Then there are others, Minecraft, Spore, Elite Dangerous. Games with a lot of width but very little in the way of depth."

To even say the following which I do agree with to some degree but SC has far less than ED and I cannot fathom how he came to this conclusion. I think I could sell them lifelike CR figure that spouts techno babel that they could use to go to sleep by if you believe the above statement.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 08:19:33 AM by jwh1701 »

StanTheMan

« Reply #931 on: April 30, 2018, 03:52:55 PM »
For starters i never believed that the game would be out by 2014, the whole idea seemed ludicrous to me

And yet he finds it reasonable to keep giving money to CRoberts who made that statement, and is responsible for delivering the product.

jwh1701

« Reply #932 on: April 30, 2018, 06:54:04 PM »
And yet he finds it reasonable to keep giving money to CRoberts who made that statement, and is responsible for delivering the product.

These posts are always so over the top and void of what appears to be any research on the posters part. I constantly waffle back and forth wondering if the person is genuine or affiliated with CIG in some way or employed by them.

Bubba

« Reply #933 on: April 30, 2018, 07:21:59 PM »
There's no way they can be writing that themselves. They would be too aware of the inherent contradiction in the structure of the dream: on the one side, hand-made content that's too small ; on the other procedurally-generated content that's anonymous. Now imagine a procgen world with generic procgen fights among procgen buildings. Isn't that a dream worth waiting for?
Someone in game design came up with the term "ant farming" to describe designs that are really cool to think about, but not to inhabit. You know, like "ultra-realistic WW2 conbined-arms sim". Yeah, sounds cool, but armies run on logistics, so you're looking at wwii trick simulator for most. Automate logistics and make only fighting roles playable? Alright,  but the #1 killer in WWII was the machine gun,  #2 was artillery,  and most soldiers were packing rifles. So it turns out your soldier experience is largely sitting around and hoping you don't get shot.

So that's what's happening in this guy's post. He sees "potential" because nothing in the game is actual. If you implemented his dream, it'd wouldn't be fun. But as a dream, it's cool. Gang wars lasting months, with running battles on space bikes.

N0mad

« Reply #934 on: May 01, 2018, 12:48:52 AM »
From the original forum post

This is where Star Citizen comes in, by creating a universe with living, breathing civilizations it creates endless opportunities for depth, by simply fleshing out the rules of the game endless small subplots can be spun out of it on their own. Imagine a world city, it's high buildings rising into the sky, and in the seedy underbelly a gang war is brewing. The two gangs involved can be completely generic gangs, a crime element added just for flavor, but if you are given an opportunity to take sides this comparatively tiny conflict can become a major plotpoint involving hundreds of players on each side, and enter the annals of the game history as major event, even if it's impact on the universe is minor to non existent, to those involved in it it can become a sole focus for months, as they race between procedurally generated skyscrapers on their Dragonfly bikes trying to weaken the opposing gang's stronghold so that another group can storm the compound in a cutlass.

This is a potential i see in Star Citizen, that every tiny detail can spin itself into epic story just by the actions of procedurally generated NPCs and players who decided to take part in it, and that is why, even after 5 years, i continue to fully support Star Citizen.

Here's the thing that Chris Roberts hit on: all he had to do was say yes to everything fans want to see in the game and let their imagination do the work. It's created the largest crowdfunded game in history but it's also created expectations which will never be met. Star Citizen is being billed as a second universe filled with planets and cities (and city planets) and NPCs with real lives - all in high fidelity. Just a quick browse of the SC reddit will reveal that everyone has their own ideas of how the game will play out and what they want to see in it - and CIG have done nothing to try and manage these expectations. Anyone who understands how games actually work will know that this sort of thing will never be possible. At this stage Chris Roberts is still very much selling dreams (backed up with cool art work), and these people don't yet seem to have noticed that all they've received so far is a buggy broken tech demo to play. These are also likely to be the same people who, when the project does collapse, will refuse to realise that they've been taken for a ride by the biggest con-artist in computer gaming history.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #935 on: May 01, 2018, 03:29:04 AM »
Why after 5 years i still fully support Star Citizen

It's almost as if they keep making these types of posts in order to convince themselves that they made the right choice to support a full blown scam.
Occam's razor tells me that CIG themselves creates these posts to keep their whales in faith. I mean look at the hostname in the URL. This stuff has zero credibility.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #936 on: May 01, 2018, 04:36:20 AM »
CIG can't even get their streamers to play the game anymore, so they've started bribing them with other perks besides JPEGs. They recently gave three streamers (including WTFO) $5K custom PCs in partnership with iBuypower. Naturally, some of the long time streamers are pissed about it; as indeed they should.

@ 1:20

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/255484436?t=4895s

This is what WTFO did to another streamer last year

« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 05:17:05 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #937 on: May 01, 2018, 07:14:32 AM »
CIG can't even get their streamers to play the game anymore, so they've started bribing them with other perks besides JPEGs. They recently gave three streamers (including WTFO) $5K custom PCs in partnership with iBuypower. Naturally, some of the long time streamers are pissed about it; as indeed they should.

Way he's grabbing the neck of the second girl is pretty weird. I find it funny they are buying off streamers but I wonder if this is standard practice by other game companies? I find it to be sort of distasteful considering the state of the game and I feel the streamers are being dishonest they way the present SC.

Aya Reiko

« Reply #938 on: May 02, 2018, 02:43:38 AM »

Way he's grabbing the neck of the second girl is pretty weird. I find it funny they are buying off streamers but I wonder if this is standard practice by other game companies? I find it to be sort of distasteful considering the state of the game and I feel the streamers are being dishonest they way the present SC.

No, it isn't.  Not unless said streamers say they are being compen- paid for by CIG during their streams.  Otherwise agencies like the FTC will add to CIG's legal woes.

Don't forget the little debacle a few years ago when Machinima got caught with its hands down Microsoft's pants.

jwh1701

« Reply #939 on: May 02, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
No, it isn't.  Not unless said streamers say they are being compen- paid for by CIG during their streams.  Otherwise agencies like the FTC will add to CIG's legal woes.

Don't forget the little debacle a few years ago when Machinima got caught with its hands down Microsoft's pants.

Not quite sure I follow, is it a possible violation for a game company to pay people on
twitch / YouTube to do promotional videos?

Aya Reiko

« Reply #940 on: May 02, 2018, 12:38:31 PM »
Not quite sure I follow, is it a possible violation for a game company to pay people on
twitch / YouTube to do promotional videos?
If the streamers fail to say or indicate it is promotional content, then yes, it is.

jwh1701

« Reply #941 on: May 02, 2018, 05:54:49 PM »
If the streamers fail to say or indicate it is promotional content, then yes, it is.

Wow I had no idea that taking goods or payment for content with out informing could be a violation. I bet that there are thousands of people breaking this rule.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #942 on: May 02, 2018, 06:09:04 PM »
Wow I had no idea that taking goods or payment for content with out informing could be a violation. I bet that there are thousands of people breaking this rule.

It is an FTC violation; and several companies and individuals have been fined over that.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #943 on: May 02, 2018, 11:32:41 PM »
Wow I had no idea that taking goods or payment for content with out informing could be a violation.

That depends on the country I guess  :laugh:

Star Chip

« Reply #944 on: May 03, 2018, 04:10:35 PM »
This is where Star Citizen comes in, by creating a universe with living, breathing civilizations it creates endless opportunities for depth, by simply fleshing out the rules of the game endless small subplots can be spun out of it on their own. Imagine a world city, it's high buildings rising into the sky, and in the seedy underbelly a gang war is brewing. The two gangs involved can be completely generic gangs, a crime element added just for flavor, but if you are given an opportunity to take sides this comparatively tiny conflict can become a major plotpoint involving hundreds of players on each side, and enter the annals of the game history as major event, even if it's impact on the universe is minor to non existent, to those involved in it it can become a sole focus for months, as they race between procedurally generated skyscrapers on their Dragonfly bikes trying to weaken the opposing gang's stronghold so that another group can storm the compound in a cutlass.

This is a potential i see in Star Citizen, that every tiny detail can spin itself into epic story just by the actions of procedurally generated NPCs and players who decided to take part in it, and that is why, even after 5 years, i continue to fully support Star Citizen.
This was what backers believed in 2014, and was completely debunked in 2015. Ask any game developer, they will give advise not unlike what Derek wrote before. You have to be an outstanding dumbass to still believe this in 2018, assuming this isn't a conspiracy. Backers once had the same dream have already got their refund by all means, read the writing on the wall, moron.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2018, 04:12:14 PM by Star Chip »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk