Author Topic: Star Citizen - Around The Farce Series  (Read 7512 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen - Around The Farce Series
« on: July 30, 2018, 04:47:18 AM »
So after seeing the "Can Disaster Be Averted" YT video about Star Citizen, in which those guys just echoed **EVERY F*CKING THING** (including near the end where he was asking croberts to exit the project and hire someone else to steer it) I've been saying these past years, I am thinking of doing another video. I am currently making notes to see if I can keep it down to 30 mins. I just want to talk about

- how/why it has already failed
- how the dev cycle really works
- how their dev schedules show the huge problems they have
- how the tech they have will never ever power the game croberts envisioned
- how the project is beyond saving and how I predict that it will end

Stuff like that. any thoughts?

Also, I am going to make this into a series. This way I can chop it up into bite sized 30 min segments.

I guess my first video from last week which talked about the refund lawsuit and some other issues, set the stage.

Don't forget that more discussions are in the Around The Farce channel on my Discord server (invite code)
« Last Edit: July 30, 2018, 04:57:53 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - Around The Farce Series
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2018, 04:47:40 AM »
Order of interest:

1. - how their dev schedules show the huge problems they have
2. - how the dev cycle really works

I always wondered how they could just add modules without major revisions in the
core engine. Would having all these modules sitting on top add latency to the engine
or cause a slow down? Tried to read up on this.
https://docs.aws.amazon.com/lumberyard/latest/userguide/waf-using-module.html
3. - how the tech they have will never ever power the game croberts envisioned
I wonder if the above would not be a major part of the one below?
4. - how/why it has already failed

5. - how the project is beyond saving and how I predict that it will end

I find all the points interesting though.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:17 AM »
You've got enough stuff there for a kickass BBC miniseries, but when cutting back to get a single video episode I do encourage you to say enough about "how the dev cycle really works" to counter the infinite posts that say "you don't understand development" with the additional claims that, e.g., agile means you just reschedule forever without ever having delivered anything, and all the other baloney that is spewed about what you can expect from a development project, even one which is for the "biggest scoped video game ever" which involves stuff that "has never been done before".

As a 40-year developer (not 40 years old, but a dev for 40 years) the insistence of the fanboys that this project is all of: open, totally normal, not being subject to feature creep, encountering the normal delays of any project that encounters problems along a development path, etc. etc. etc. - all of that just burns me up.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2018, 04:48:41 AM »
This. Plus addressing the “most open development ever”. So what was the status of S42 again and where is the roadmap for it?

Oh, and please make it like mini-series, like 20-30min episodes.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2018, 04:51:45 AM »
Yeah, I think making it into a mini-series will work best. I will come up with a schedule so that I can do one every week. Maybe every Tuesday.

Dementropy

• Smarties
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2018, 09:56:30 AM »
I'm in favor of a scheduled mini-series. Episodes can be as long or short as they need to be (adhering to a schedule is great, but there's no need to truncate ideas and explanations - this isn't a sitcom). It not only gives the outside observer something to make sense of this fiasco, but it builds anticipation among the zealots and might force drama-whores like Montoya to conform to a schedule for his responses.

Motto

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2018, 10:07:21 AM »
Do a stream right after they did a Around the Verse and debunk all the shit they sprouted there. See if you can get them the following week to address something you mentioned  :-)

And keep on pointing out everything that's wrong with it. Week after week after week. Bullet style with updated (week)numbers. Just rub it in. Use a salt shaker as your logo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk