Author Topic: Diablo Immortal  (Read 8849 times)

Meowz

Diablo Immortal
« on: November 03, 2018, 09:41:22 AM »
A mobile version of D3 was addnouced at Blizzcon yesterday. The entire community is up in arms, over 213k dislikes on their videos and they tearing into the devs at Q&A, in person face to face. Most people are closing their wallet towards Diablo products immediately.

Just amazed at the stark contrast between the two communities that are known for their fandom. Blizzard screws up and they make their displeasure known, and I personally can't find a white knight among them, although I'm sure there are a few. CIG screws up and the community bends over backwards to explain their mistakes away. Blizzard has a good track record and are reckoned for by a slip up, CIG has an abyssal track record and are praised as the saviors of gaming for one minor success in anything no matter how insignificant.

Aya Reiko

Re: Diablo Immortal
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2018, 10:59:28 PM »
The only ones who are still singing CiG's praises are the cultists.  Everyone else is too busy laughing at them or have lost interest.

Blizzard is the sister company to Activision, whose reputation is borderline abysmal.  Not EA-level bad, but pretty far down there.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2018, 06:49:27 AM »
The only ones who are still singing CiG's praises are the cultists.  Everyone else is too busy laughing at them or have lost interest.

Blizzard is the sister company to Activision, whose reputation is borderline abysmal.  Not EA-level bad, but pretty far down there.

I agree with this assessment.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2018, 06:49:57 AM »
A mobile version of D3 was addnouced at Blizzcon yesterday. The entire community is up in arms, over 213k dislikes on their videos and they tearing into the devs at Q&A, in person face to face. Most people are closing their wallet towards Diablo products immediately.

I heard about this, but haven't been paying any close attention. What exactly are they pissed about?
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2018, 07:05:51 AM »

Meowz

« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2018, 09:21:01 AM »
I heard about this, but haven't been paying any close attention. What exactly are they pissed about?

The Diablo community has been split for almost as long as D3 released. This Blizzcon the ones that thoroughly enjoy D3 were hoping for a D4 announcement. The once that prefer D2 were hoping for a D2 (or D1) Remastered announcement. Neither expected a mobile version. To make things worse it seems to be a reskin of a Chinese game done by a company notorious for micro-transactions that uses mostly D3 art assets, so it appears to be about as unoriginal as you can get.

I was hoping for the D2 remaster, but Blizzard has trashed the Diablo genre so much this didn't affect me. I'm curious as to what your professional opinion is Derek, since Diablo 1/2 were made by a completely different studio (Bliz North) why does Blizzard continue to push a game style (art and themes) and mechanics that are away from what the series was and more in line with their Warcraft and StarCraft titles? Is it because that's all they know? Are they bitter and never could accept Diablo as their own? D3 has vastly under performed compared to D2 and their other titles, so clearly its not what the majority of people wanted. Their mild neglect of the title and now this suggests this as well, what are your thoughts? 
« Last Edit: November 04, 2018, 09:52:52 AM by Meowz »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2018, 10:02:09 AM »
Yeah, I have been catching up on the furor over the weekend. So far, this article gives the best unbiased overview

https://massivelyop.com/2018/11/05/blizzcon-2018-what-the-heck-happened/

jwh1701

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2018, 11:15:14 AM »
I can understand why they would do mobile. Years ago in several online mobile games I used to play I saw first hand how much people will spend. Players in japan and china are especially willing to spend ungodly amounts of money to crush any alliance and to have the best of everything.

The one fan asking if this was some sort of April fools joke was great as he really seemed sincere.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2018, 05:04:11 PM »
Why wouldn't they do mobile? It's a huge market. Especially for such a renowned franchise, it makes perfect sense.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 03:22:30 PM »
Why wouldn't they do mobile? It's a huge market. Especially for such a renowned franchise, it makes perfect sense.

Quite a few economical reasons thinkable of, why one shouldn't risk an established brand when entering another market or a certain sub-market. E.g. Devaluation of existing brands.
But overall i'd agree with you, that it made sense for Blizzard and they just royally fucked up the marketing, as otherwise people wouldn't have cared too much about it (see Bethesdas Vault game thingie - can't remember the name).

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk