Author Topic: Star Citizen's Lumberyard Engine Is Doomed  (Read 16951 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen's Lumberyard Engine Is Doomed
« on: June 18, 2019, 01:17:06 PM »
It all started a few days ago with this story out of E3...

Amazon Game Studios lays off "dozens"

My Twitter thread response

Then more info emerged today...

Lumberyard at heart of Amazon Game Studios' development woes

My Twitter thread response

What I said in Star Citizen – Irreconcilable Differences blog back when I wrote about the switch from CE to LY

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:19:26 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 01:48:25 PM by dsmart »

wiser3754

Re: Star Citizen's Lumberyard Engine Is Doomed
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2019, 04:35:04 PM »
I knew a thread relating purely to LumberYard's woes would be made.
I wonder how Dr Spin and the armchair engineers and programmers are gonna explain how Lumberyard's (potential) abandonment will not affect Star Citizen's development in any shape, way or form and dissuade any argument or testimony from the actual engineers at Amazon in relation to LumberYard's woes.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »
I knew a thread relating purely to LumberYard's woes would be made.
I wonder how Dr Spin and the armchair engineers and programmers are gonna explain how Lumberyard's (potential) abandonment will not affect Star Citizen's development in any shape, way or form and dissuade any argument or testimony from the actual engineers at Amazon in relation to LumberYard's woes.

You think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/c1wzc7/amazon_game_studios_struggling_due_to_lumberyard/

jwh1701

« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2019, 05:21:07 PM »
This news is going to be fun to talk about over on reddit.

wiser3754

« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2019, 07:06:40 PM »
You think?

https://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/c1wzc7/amazon_game_studios_struggling_due_to_lumberyard/
[/quote]

Yep. They're out in full force. Potential conclusion;  Crytek and CryEngine sucks. Case closed.

jwh1701

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2019, 07:43:35 PM »
You think?

Yep. They're out in full force. Potential conclusion;  Crytek and CryEngine sucks. Case closed.

I'm already getting PM's about how CI has fixed all the net code so there is nothing to worry about.

David-2

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2019, 12:08:49 AM »
I don't get it. Amazon and CIG were so close, so interdependent.

“We’ve been working with Amazon for more than a year, as we have been looking for a technology leader to partner with for the long term future of Star Citizen and Squadron 42. Lumberyard provides groundbreaking technology features for online games. Because we share a common technical vision, it has been a very smooth and easy transition to Lumberyard.”

Chris Roberts, Cloud Imperium Games

How can it be that in the face of such a close mutually beneficial partnership that Amazon.com just leaves CIG in the lurch? This is Amazon just trashing their shared common technical vision to the detriment of both their long term futures. Must be heartbreaking for Chris.  So sad.

GaryII

« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2019, 12:20:16 AM »

Crytek are true winners here:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI, too.     

Morale here are cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...   

wiser3754

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2019, 12:27:59 AM »
Crytek are true winners here:

1) Got money from Amazon - company that had no experience in AAA game dev.
2) probably will get some money from CI, too.     

Morale here are cool graphics sells, its like AAA games - people watch cool trailers and then pre-order games with no gameplay...
In CI and Amazon case - they looked at graphic capabilities of Cryengine ignoring fact, that engine is build for single player games in mind not MP...   

Cryengine was never pegged for seamless large open worlds. It was always level based. I's used with level editors to make it'sworlds, not procedually generated and not to planet sized scale.

If only Chris had just stuck to the original kickstarter goals and rolled over profits from sales into further development like nornal developers.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2019, 05:36:47 AM »
I'm already getting PM's about how CI has fixed all the net code so there is nothing to worry about.

:emot-lol:

Here's the thing. The LY license requires any code changes made by third-parties to be made public. Last time I checked, there were NO code commits to the public LY repo by CIG. That means they haven't made revisions to the LY code.

They've fixed the netcode but the server still barfs with > 25 clients. heh

wiser3754

« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2019, 05:48:36 AM »
:emot-lol:

They've fixed the netcode but the server still barfs with > 25 clients. heh

At least it's a step up from 12 clients back in the days of 3.0 to 3.2. But then again how many things have CIG broken along the way to get at least 25 clients working?

Noztra

« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2019, 10:54:37 AM »
Is he having a panic attack over Lumberyard?

wiser3754

« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2019, 01:41:49 PM »
BoredGamer's livelihood is tied to Star Citizen. As I haven't watched the video considering I can't stand BoredGamer and all of those videos he releases daily it wouldn't surprise me that he's put on his engineering glasses and shurgged off any concerns relating to LumberYard's woes.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk