Author Topic: The awful microtransactions ruin the game  (Read 7204 times)

vintologi.com

The awful microtransactions ruin the game
« on: August 24, 2020, 01:43:08 AM »
I remember seeing the original kickstarter where they promised spending would be capped to prevent pay 2 win, well that quickly went out the window.

But whats really bad is things like lifetime insurance where you will just get a new ship if you lose it, this also means things like piracy will not really be viable since otherwise insurance fraud would become a possibility. It wouldn't be as bad if you had to wait until your ship you paid for is destroyed until you can get a new one back but even that is really bad pay 2 win mechanic.

In eve online if you lose a ship then its lost for real.

vintologi.com

Re: The awful microtransactions ruin the game
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2020, 01:56:20 AM »
The entire thing is actually really confusing, its really unfriendly towards new players.

They have painted themselves into a corner and eventually they will have to throw big backers under the bus or the game will be essentially unplayable for people unwilling to pay 1000$+
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 01:59:45 AM by vintologi.com »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2020, 02:28:21 AM »
Well the good thing is there is no game to ruin with microtransactions macrotransations. The macrotransactions are the game.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2020, 03:50:54 AM »
Yeah, the real fun begins if you ever try to add all those tidbits systems they've described into a combined thing. As you'll run into so many questionmarks, it becomes really funny.
But regarding the pirating, my last information was that you'd to buy something like a letter of marque or something for every single ship you want to steal, or that there wouldn't be any stealing at all.

So who knows, what they did if they'd ever come around, which they most likely won't.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2020, 06:16:45 AM »
I mean whoever didn't see this coming is a fool. Since the very start when they started selling ships, thus turning the game into a high-end MT game, we knew this was going to be the inevitable conclusion. Even the grind to buy ships is sloppy, lopsided and complete bs.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

vintologi.com

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2020, 07:43:10 AM »
Any form of mictrotransactions for other than cosmetics is usually really bad news for players, then they are going to lock away important features from people to incentivize them to pay more.

We might end up with a situation where the game is essentially unplayable if you just pay the base price of 45$, nothing stops them from adding even OP ships later forcing people to pay even more money to stay on top.

It wouldn't surprise me if they make piracy totally unviable to make sure the only way to really get a ship is to actually pay for it with real money.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2020, 01:17:07 AM »
Any form of mictrotransactions for other than cosmetics is usually really bad news for players, then they are going to lock away important features from people to incentivize them to pay more.

We might end up with a situation where the game is essentially unplayable if you just pay the base price of 45$, nothing stops them from adding even OP ships later forcing people to pay even more money to stay on top.

It wouldn't surprise me if they make piracy totally unviable to make sure the only way to really get a ship is to actually pay for it with real money.

CIG said that ship sales would stop when the game was released, and they would instead sell currency ( I've not heard them say anything about this for a while though, they said it when people were concerned about P2W). I doubt they will really stop selling ships though, it is too big a cash cow for them. Problem is they don't have an incentive to release as they will be expecting a backlash (Yet I think by that point it will only be the whales remaining, who are addicted to buying ships anyway so it won't really matter).

Whatever happens expect a terrible grind to keep the coffers full to feed the beast that is CIG.

vintologi.com

« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2020, 02:57:07 AM »
CIG said that ship sales would stop when the game was released
:grin: :grin: :grin:

and they would instead sell currency ( I've not heard them say anything about this for a while though, they said it when people were concerned about P2W). I doubt they will really stop selling ships though, it is too big a cash cow for them. Problem is they don't have an incentive to release as they will be expecting a backlash (Yet I think by that point it will only be the whales remaining, who are addicted to buying ships anyway so it won't really matter).
Star citizen will be like a club for people who are willing to pay large amounts of money while everyone else will have a really hard time there and give up.

Whatever happens expect a terrible grind to keep the coffers full to feed the beast that is CIG.
There is a simple economic reason for that, if the grind isn't outright terrible then it will be cheaper to buy the goods directly from other players and then a lot of people (probably most) will do that over buying from CIG directly.

How long do you have to play the game to get the legatus package without paying more than then base 45$ ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk