Author Topic: Latest Star Citizen Insider Leaks  (Read 72814 times)

BigM

Re: Latest TheAgent Leaks
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2017, 09:40:15 PM »
Years away? Wonder how long the backers will keep funding them?

The quote about champagne makes me think CR and his small family don't really see how frustrated players are. If true that is amazingly sad!

If anyone doing a betting chart put me down for 100 in 2025.  :lol:

SpaceTroll

« Reply #31 on: February 11, 2017, 12:07:45 AM »

The quote about champagne makes me think CR and his small family don't really see how frustrated players are. If true that is amazingly sad!

Chris doesn´t know how to play his own videogame. Do you think he also sees how frustrated players are?

:lesnick:

BigM

« Reply #32 on: February 11, 2017, 09:23:55 AM »

Chris doesn´t know how to play his own videogame. Do you think he also sees how frustrated players are?

:lesnick:

LOL yep you got me there. So true!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Latest Star Citizen Insider Leaks
« Reply #33 on: February 13, 2017, 10:43:14 AM »
EightAce (an account we suspect is used by various people), one of the original leakers, is back with this gem over on SA

Fellow commandos. Prepare yourselves for a hilarious announcement at the end of March /start of April. A Stimperial address is planned to explain where sq42 is , or indeed isnt. Its going to be even better than 'You've had it all along stop fucking whining'

I don't even know what to believe anymore. For one thing, there is a very good chance that the much rumored major layoffs are coming. They already started this back in Q4/16, even as some people left, or were converted from employee to contractor status.

I had written before that making SQ42 a game mode/module like the hangar, arena commander, star marine etc, makes the most sense at this point. So maybe that's what they're going to be announcing; though I doubt it. We just have to wait and see.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Mehlan

« Reply #34 on: February 13, 2017, 02:33:36 PM »
 Rofl  They need 3+ months (More accurately 4) to figure out how to try to bs their way onward? <smh>

ripptide

« Reply #35 on: February 14, 2017, 12:22:37 AM »
EightAce (an account we suspect is used by various people), one of the original leakers, is back with this gem over on SA

Fellow commandos. Prepare yourselves for a hilarious announcement at the end of March /start of April. A Stimperial address is planned to explain where sq42 is , or indeed isnt. Its going to be even better than 'You've had it all along stop fucking whining'

I don't even know what to believe anymore. For one thing, there is a very good chance that the much rumored major layoffs are coming. They already started this back in Q4/16, even as some people left, or were converted from employee to contractor status.

I had written before that making SQ42 a game mode/module like the hangar, arena commander, star marine etc, makes the most sense at this point. So maybe that's what they're going to be announcing; though I doubt it. We just have to wait and see.

I honestly don't see a legal way for them to just roll SQ42 into the main game similar to hangar or AC once they separated the games and started selling it as a completely separate "game". Wouldn't that essentially make it false advertising/fraudulent sales, no matter how much sense it would make? Or am I missing something.

Lir

« Reply #36 on: February 14, 2017, 04:21:48 AM »
I suspect they'll turn s42 into a post release DLC, saving the so called up coming sqlude as 'right about to be ready' so they keep the backers infuriating at low. They might also officially announce the whole lot of modules-shits already existing, is StarCitizen in its final form.  Imo.

Indeed they can't take the risk to 'merge' s42 into PU or that would be a clear proof of fraudulent advertising. (Though honnestly, with the many tricks they've used so far I dont know why they are not facing justice yet.)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #37 on: February 14, 2017, 06:43:43 AM »
I honestly don't see a legal way for them to just roll SQ42 into the main game similar to hangar or AC once they separated the games and started selling it as a completely separate "game". Wouldn't that essentially make it false advertising/fraudulent sales, no matter how much sense it would make? Or am I missing something.

Actually they can do it; and it would be perfectly legal. I just wrote about that.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 08:59:09 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

J How

• Smarties
« Reply #38 on: February 14, 2017, 12:59:23 PM »

I’ve been asked on Discord for my take on the most recent developments and leak from EightAce from a super backer (> $10k) who seems to have concerns recently, plus three smaller backers. Initially it was difficult to come up with a somewhat balanced response, hopefully this should lend some credibility that not everything is quite as straight forward to development as CIG is making out and clear up how it’s imported. Decided to post it on here instead of repeating the same subject to individual folk on Discord.

In the event these leaks do marry up to, fact as of say March / April time then there is more concern on delivery than just the PU itself.
What I think Derek Smart was hinting at in his latest blog, sorry if I’m barking up the wrong tree but I get the impression that some of the easy work has been done but they’re stumbling at the hard / difficult task at fitting it all together. No so much as just the engine anymore if not the actual gameplay and everything else in between, instead they’re switching focus to non-important deliverables like the O2 oxygen system which should be considered less important or a lower priority.

Disclaimer
When it comes to theory crafting we all have our own take and biases on all news that comes from CIG or from leaks and it’s important to identify that to take it into account.

Coming from a gaming background and as a cloud architect I have my own bias in that I do not agree with CIGs approach, all other matters aside and on the bench until my view on Derek Smart as below.

My take
Now the difficult case may be that any announcement CIG will promote MVP (minimum viable product) or that a large section of the current offering indeed forms part of the final product. I think in this case it’s not really set in stone as they count literally announce anything and we don’t have specific data or knowledge on what is going to be specifically said. If anything it will be complete speculation on my part as I do not have all the facts, only indicators which is not the same thing.

Indications would suggest that it would point to bad news based on the current state of the engine and game mechanics on 2.6.1, and the general slow pace of development. Considering all the fighting CIG are doing locally in Manchester which you are now painfully aware of, that all critics of CIG don’t come or root from Derek Smart. He is not the proverbial “bogey man” and certainly does not have the power to influence other companies near CIG locally nor ability to slow down development. My take is that Star Citizen is a bad kick starter due to massive scope creep and that CIG do not have the business acuity or skills to run a large crowd funded game development studio.

My narrative would be to request a refund, however my urge to any Star Citizen backer is to look at the facts. How long has the project being going, versus what is the current state of the project. Are you happy with 2.6.1? If you are then jolly good, if not then look at getting a refund. This is not about the current state of the game, it’s where you will think the game will be in three months? Based on the current release cycle, do you really see 3.0 being released in three months?

Derek Smart
I was also asked my opinion of Derek Smart repeatedly, I think although he can come across as very strong and very abrasive which I think is part of an act or persona on his part, his heart seems to be in the right place. Personified reactions of Derek Smart on Star Citizen and CIG aside, I think he does deliberately push the proverbial buttons of groups like /r/dereksmart and his detractors and he knows how to get them to bite “aka 2 weeks, 1 month, 3 months”.

If anything the responses to Derek Smart by detractors do more to leverage and help Derek Smart’s viewpoint than Derek could reach himself. If anything broadcasting what Derek Smart is doing on a tweet to tweet basis only enhances his standing and promoting his viewpoint as a legitimate source for criticism of the Star Citizen project and CIG. What people forget is Derek Smart is one person and there are a collective group of people lashing out against Derek everytime he mentions Star Citizen.

It’s not what detractors see; it’s what other people see outside the Star Citizen group. Good point is if any normal, rational human being looked at /r/dereksmart, outside of CIG / Star Citizen Universe, what would they think about Star Citizen? If anything Derek should put /r/dereksmart on his payroll as they’ve done more to promote the idea of Star Citizen as a cult, hate group, Star Citizen as an ineffective product than anything Derek Smart could ever say. This also expands to /r/starcitizen, Chris Roberts official response to The Escapist Article and even the CIG forums. Basically Derek Smart baits them into lashing out and recording / reporting his views.

As an outsider, my initial take on CIG and Star Citizen was very different – that was as a potential employee. It was only until viewing /r/dereksmart that I reached out to Derek Smart’s forums in the first place. What I’ll be interested in and some backers should watch, is if this post ends up on /r/dereksmart or not, bearing in mind it has not been written by Derek Smart and only relates to Star Citizen / CIG, although I am seen as a detractor of Star Citizen / CIG / Chris Roberts.

Remember this all started when Derek Smart apparently broken the rules and got a refund for promoting his LoD game series on the Star Citizen forums despite there being no posts from Derek there.

TL;DR is /r/dereksmart played right into Derek Smart’s hands by legitimising talk on the toxic star citizen community by doing the very same thing he wanted them to.

Stan

« Reply #39 on: February 14, 2017, 09:22:28 PM »
My Take

CR is and always has been a terrible Project Manager.
People generally do what they say they are going to do. CR has said this is an ongoing open ended project - effectively.   And that is what we have got.
CR is an accomplished liar
He will lie to get what he wants and he is sufficiently enamoured with his own success to have put it down to talent rather than luck.  There are plenty of sycophants around to massage his ego.
Most gamers look at the pretty pictures and are easily swayed by the romance of having a ship to explore the universe in - they don't exercise due diligence.  They don't bother to try and understand the technical details involved in this or any other subject.
Whilst CIG are apparently afloat there will be plenty of little people willing to give them $35-60 to become a Backer.  There will be plenty of media outlets willing to keep the dream alive and misreport the facts.
CIG can upsell those new Backers whilst the ship appears largely afloat.
Citizens are very forgiving because it costs them a lot of emotional pain to admit failure
UNLESS the whole thing goes belly up from lack of funds or a major scandal/legal case etc,  CR probably has 3-5 years good will left to deliver something akin to an MVP before he will see most Citziens turn on him. 
Many Citizens will move on or wait and see  before  they become vocal detractors.

DS
Hard working, friendly rational guy with an impressive intellect and years of experience relevant to SC.
The world is full of thick people and baying cowards - it is also full of bright people weighed down by their biology in the face of facts.  So of course we have Shitizens.  DS is experienced enough to deal with that and that includes sometimes being able to turn it to his advantage.
DS has as much right as anyone to promote his opinions and ideas, he is willing to take the risks and happy to reap the benefits.  What he is doing is immensely valuable and eminently reasonable.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 07:32:34 PM by Stan »

Darklegend1

« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2017, 02:55:19 AM »
My Take

CR is and always has been a terrible Project Manager.
People generally do what they say they are going to do. CR has said this is an ongoing open ended project - effectively.   And that is what we have got.
CR is an accomplished liar
He will lie to get what he wants and he is sufficiently enamoured with his own success to have put it down to talent rather than luck.  There are plenty of sycophants around to massage his ego.
Most gamers look at the pretty pictures and are easily swayed by the romance of having a ship to explore the universe in - they don't exercise due diligence.  They don't bother to try and understand the technical details involved in this it any other subject.
Whilst CIG are apparently afloat there will be plenty of little people willing to give them $35-60 to become a Backer.  There will be plenty of media outlets willing to keep the dream alive and misreport the facts.
CIG can upsell those new Backers whilst the ship appears largely afloat.
Citizens are very forgiving because it costs them a lot of emotional pain to admit failure
UNLESS the whole thing goes belly up from lack of funds or a major scandal/legal case etc,  CR probably has 3-5 years good will left to deliver something akin to an MVP before he will see most Citziens turn on him. 
Many Citizens will move on or wait and see  before  they become vocal detractors.

DS
Hard working, friendly rational guy with an impressive intellect and years of experience relevant to SC.
The world is full of thick people and baying cowards - it is also full of bright people weighed down by their biology in the face of facts.  So of course we have Shitizens.  DS is experienced enough to deal with that and that includes sometimes being able to turn it to his advantage.
DS has as much right as anyone to promote his opinions and ideas, he is willing to take the risks and happy to reap the benefits.  What he is doing is immensely valuable and eminently reasonable.

Well said Stan, but i dont think CR has 3-5 years left, I would say max of 2 yrs before the foundations crumble. if he doesnt deliver to what he promised blow back will be too hard even 6 months from now. I had only invested 60$ in this and thought that i would wait and see what happens but i was getting too distracted and angry because of his incompetance thats why i got a refund now i am not invested in this shitshow so i am free of any tension brewing coz of this scene.

So if a backer like me who has next to nothing invested had enough of this bullshit and wanted to leave than think about people who have invested more would go crazy over the next 6  months.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 02:57:03 AM by Darklegend1 »

Lir

« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2017, 04:13:14 AM »
We've been seeing more and more whales backers pulling out lately. A year ago, seeing a 2k$ backer pulling out was uncommon . Now it's like every day has its xK$ backer leaving. I don't think CIG can even sustain for long with this burn rate. But they could as well be keepin downgrading while saving on the appareances untill there's no one left but CR and SG. Wich would take a long time on other hand .

I don't remember where but someone has predicted the falling down of SC might as well slowly fade into oblivion, taking with it the few hundreds of cultist backers still attached to it.

Edit : I just realized SC is nothing but appearances , so the breaking point is when they cannot sustain these appearances anymore. So basically they just need to have enough to pay one or two graphist dudes to play with photoshop and some jpegs lol, one or two developers to mess with cryengine mods and plugins, and some IT guys to keep the servers running. Ho I forgot they need a little more so they can pay their scam head crew.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2017, 04:21:06 AM by Lir »

Stan

« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2017, 07:57:28 PM »
We've been seeing more and more whales backers pulling out lately. A year ago, seeing a 2k$ backer pulling out was uncommon . Now it's like every day has its xK$ backer leaving. I don't think CIG can even sustain for long with this burn rate. But they could as well be keepin downgrading while saving on the appareances untill there's no one left but CR and SG. Wich would take a long time on other hand .

I don't remember where but someone has predicted the falling down of SC might as well slowly fade into oblivion, taking with it the few hundreds of cultist backers still attached to it.

Edit : I just realized SC is nothing but appearances , so the breaking point is when they cannot sustain these appearances anymore. So basically they just need to have enough to pay one or two graphist dudes to play with photoshop and some jpegs lol, one or two developers to mess with cryengine mods and plugins, and some IT guys to keep the servers running. Ho I forgot they need a little more so they can pay their scam head crew.

They can sustain a $2k refund a day as long as they get more $ elsewhere.

New backers are not looking at the facts they are looking at the pretty pictures.

If they are looking at the facts then they are buying in in any case.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2017, 05:01:17 PM »
TheAgent is back with more leaks.

If you don't believe any of it; believe one thing: the part about the planet being #justanothermodule because I have written extensively about this in the past, even sparred with one of their devs Ben Parry over this very notion of it being a level, rather than a seamless transition like what they have shown in their tech demos.

Also, as to the company mentioned, that would probably be Behavior Interactive. I wrote about this specifically a few days ago. Moon Collider left about a year ago.

• 3.0 will arrive this year
  • in the first release, there will be a planetary landing mode accessible from the main screen (or space stations)
  • you will not be able to fly down to the planet from space
  • there will be rovers akin to the mako for ground exploration
  • desert planet populated with several small oasis
  • playable space is less than 100km2
  • 3.0 will include a new player inventory
  • no new ship inventory in this release
  • mining will be available
  • player to player trading is not available in this release
  • crafting will not be in this release
  • the planet will only hold 32 players
  • the planet will be instanced
  • currently no ground combat npcs or other life
  • the planet will not track changes made by players
  • this will be the only planet available for this release
  • will feature 3 distinct, hand crafted outposts with new quests
  • players will not be able to go underwater (unsure if this means no water or that they can't get in water or what)
  • sqlude has been pushed to q1 2018
  • mocap cleanup still ongoing with "years" of manpower still to come
  • many npcs and quests from sq42 have been migrated to SC, as SC specific quests (3.0 planet will feature these)

He got this in email along with that:

What I sent you is what [name] considers the barest of bones release of 3.0. Currently, in order to hit [name]'s release to coincide ship sales, this is what we have to put out. I am beyond hopeful more progress will be made before we release this to backers. Planetary landings are posing extremely problematic at the moment, as well as AI. We were left last year with almost zero progress on AI thanks to [contracted company] but have since moved all work in-house. Most contracted studios are now gone replaced by in-house people.

I want to mention the negativity about the project. I don't know if you'll post this. I want to say many of us here believe in what we are doing. We are not relaxing in hot tubs surrounded by bikini-clad girls, smoking fat-cat cigars lit with backer money. We work very, very hard. Sixty hours a week sometimes. We try to breathe life into this game. We are not a faceless zombie army of programmers and artists. We are people. I want everyone to remember that.

We do understand the patience of people is wearing thing. Mistakes, sometimes big mistakes, have been made. I am not privy to every piece of information regarding those. We know they've happened. We don't stop working. We don't stop trying. We guide and mentor and continue to strive to make the best of bad situations.

We are years out from a full release. Please try to understand that doesn't mean never. Backers started this journey with us and I hope they finish it with us.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2017, 06:10:43 AM by dsmart »

Hater115

• SCLeaks
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2017, 06:52:55 PM »
Doesn't Behavior Interactive only do art? I believe CIG's AI was instead outsourced (in house now (Frankfort)) to Kythera.

http://www.bhvr.com/portfolio-item/star-citizen/

For this very ambitious project, Chris Roberts (Wing Commander) asked Behaviour Interactive to take care of the art for Star Citizen and make sure the quality of every graphic element reaches a level of quality never seen before. The result is a breathtaking universe that already generated more than $73 million dollars.
Banned on Discord approx. 47(?) times.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk