Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591830 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #945 on: February 01, 2019, 11:26:46 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #946 on: February 01, 2019, 11:27:17 AM »
Well, it’s pretty undisputable that at least Chris is out of touch with gaming when you look the journey of SC and where they are now with over 200M spent.

Or he is just incompetent in managing projects. I suspect both.

:emot-iceburn:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

krylite

« Reply #947 on: February 10, 2019, 05:11:52 AM »

I guess you were horribly wrong on both counts. The pair of them have done ok with their new space games I reckon...

The "pair" of them? They couldn't be more different, obviously. And it's a misnomer to have said Braben was out of touch with gaming. While there were no more Elite's after FFE , he was still ceo of Frontier which went on to make Kinectimals, Rollercoaster Tycoon 3, etc. during the interim before dev was started on ED. Frontier wasn't the small-cap industry breakthrough it is today, but they were humbly managing their projects and business professionally as always.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #948 on: February 12, 2019, 03:43:06 PM »
Latest Guard Frequency is up. They made a roadmap spreadsheet. Fun starts around the 28:00 mark

https://guardfrequency.com/247/

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #949 on: February 26, 2019, 03:38:38 PM »

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #950 on: February 26, 2019, 04:19:12 PM »
Piner, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. His articles in I think 2014 were the first to put me on the track of this hilarity.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/star-citizen-s-2-500-ship-of-dreams
« Last Edit: February 26, 2019, 04:23:27 PM by Beexoffel »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #951 on: February 27, 2019, 05:03:58 PM »
Piner, now there's a name I haven't heard in a long time. His articles in I think 2014 were the first to put me on the track of this hilarity.

http://www.tentonhammer.com/columns/star-citizen-s-2-500-ship-of-dreams
The other forum linked me to this reaction thread: https://anonym.to/https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/13428-ten-ton-hammer-criticizing-star-citizen/

Just hover the pointer on the avatars and watch how many of those advocates defending SC against this article left already. It's a ghost town. Also interesting to see that join and leave dates center around certain CIG events/sales and how long the average stay is.

That "community" is dead before the release. CI not G is in big trouble.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #952 on: February 27, 2019, 05:23:21 PM »
The whole project is dead. Only a few clowns wallowing in apathy remain now. They plan on going down with the ship apparently.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #953 on: February 28, 2019, 06:40:24 PM »
These old forum threads are really a gold mine of retrospective:

https://anonym.to/https://forums.starcitizenbase.com/topic/587-how-much-did-you-spend/

Quote from: EllisDee
Love all of Chris Roberts games & so glad we made it to over 6 million, congratulations to all. I went a bit overboard on my c/c & got the following: The Man Come Fly With Me Aurora 300i Hornet Freelancer Cutlass Package Captured Vanduul Fighter Retaliator Heavy Bomber Drake Interplanetary Caterpillar MISC Starfarer Tanker Anvil Gladiator Bomber ORIGIN M50 Interceptor Idris Corvette Electro Skin Military Skin Exploration Skin False Colors Skin Hardback bound 42 page Book “Engineering Manual for Modders” Hardback bound 42 Page Book “Squadron 42 Manual” Total: $3415 Just wanted to say thanks to everyone who contributed, no matter how much, without you we wouldn't of made so much! Now.... what the hell am I going to do for the next 2 years, oh yes, get another job & pay of my c/c lol
First visit: Oct 22, 2012

Now think about all these JPEGs and when they made it into the broken techdemo... The madness started right in 2012!

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #954 on: March 05, 2019, 04:22:07 AM »
The whole project is dead. Only a few clowns wallowing in apathy remain now. They plan on going down with the ship apparently.

Could you define 'dead' for me please? Looks like five million plus in funding so far this year and a new update on it's way, Reddit busy, forums busy, development continues on Squadron...

Looks very much alive to me.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #955 on: March 05, 2019, 04:27:31 AM »
I define 'dead project' as a project that is not making progress on its goals.
Throwing money at stuck projects is common.
The progress on defined goals is shown here:
https://starcitizentracker.github.io/
Almost horizontal since early 2015. That's when the infamous 'ELE' took place.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #956 on: March 05, 2019, 04:31:19 AM »
Playing the game would show some reasonably large differences between 4 years ago and now. A graph of development milestones might not be very impressive but the game experience has changed enormously in that time.

Still slow of course, but dead? Nah.

Beexoffel

• Smarties
« Reply #957 on: March 05, 2019, 04:43:04 AM »
That's one of the novelties of Star Citizen: it's not a game nor a software project according to any convention, but new stuff comes out and a fair number of people are having fun with it.
Graphics are being produced at a hugely elevated cost, and somehow some people keep supporting that.
It's more of a status-quo than development towards a goal.

Motto

« Reply #958 on: March 05, 2019, 05:15:05 AM »
Don't feed the troll.

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #959 on: March 05, 2019, 05:47:30 AM »
That's one of the novelties of Star Citizen: it's not a game nor a software project according to any convention, but new stuff comes out and a fair number of people are having fun with it.
Graphics are being produced at a hugely elevated cost, and somehow some people keep supporting that.
It's more of a status-quo than development towards a goal.

Ha ha, nicely put. It's certainly fascinating to watch. It's going to be very interesting to see how Squadron is received when they finally release it. I honestly think it's going to be somewhere a little above mediocre with some people screaming about it's ground breaking magnificence and others chanting their disgust at it's faecal aroma.

The range of review scores will be impressive I feel, as most will have their minds made up already whether they like it or not! The metacritic score will be useless as zealots and haters will give 10's and 0's regardless of merits. Maybe the journalist metacritic will be the most accurate account. Suppose I'll just decide for myself.

I wonder if they'll be able to finish it as they want before the cash runs out?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk