Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592525 times)

krylite

Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #1020 on: October 08, 2019, 08:06:21 PM »
Having now seen Sunk Cost Galaxy #7 - "lady macbeth", i looked up the supposed house CR bought shown briefly in the video, on zillow.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/17501-Castellammare-Dr-Pacific-Palisades-CA-90272/20542858_zpid/?mmlb=g,0
compared to the house shown in the video.

It doesn't seem like the reported "$4.7 million" house. The price history listed showed it was rented in 2013, but last time it was fully sold was in 2004. So Bootcha maybe used a different nearby house as an example of an expensive pallisades home (?), but still redacted the address info to be considerate of those of whose this example house belongs to.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 08:17:57 PM by krylite »

krylite

« Reply #1021 on: October 13, 2019, 10:14:00 AM »
"Bad Ideas" first time vid review on Star Citizen. The commentary on the state of the mess mostly starts at 16:00, after the regular intro blab.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1022 on: October 22, 2019, 11:45:07 AM »
Star Citizen Turns 7, Still Doesn't Exist - Inside Gaming Roundup

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #1023 on: October 23, 2019, 05:45:22 AM »
At 7 years plus,  long time SC Backers have moved from Sunk cost Fallacy to Sunk Cost Phallusy. 

Complete dicks giving CRoberts any more of their cash.

« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 05:51:26 AM by StanTheMan »

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1024 on: October 24, 2019, 01:56:32 PM »
Can't wait for this Squander 54 to come out! :D:D:D:D

https://i.redd.it/dr4y6vvs97u31.png

wiser3754

« Reply #1025 on: November 07, 2019, 03:39:44 PM »
The next silver bullet to be loaded into this revolver of a project, SSOCS or socs for short, is now being teased for the unveiling lf Microtech at CitizenCon. Croberts has stated before that he'll not release anymore planets unless this piece of core tech is implemented at an experimental level at the least.

Youtuber 'TheEradicator', who has been holding CIG's feet to the fire as of late gives his musings in this video.

N0mad

« Reply #1026 on: November 07, 2019, 04:21:43 PM »
The next silver bullet to be loaded into this revolver of a project, SSOCS or socs for short, is now being teased for the unveiling lf Microtech at CitizenCon. Croberts has stated before that he'll not release anymore planets unless this piece of core tech is implemented at an experimental level at the least.

CIG keep doing this: pick a technology which they need to implement, give it a fancy name so people can't Google it to discover that it's already been implemented in other games / engines / is industry standard. Pretend that it's the next big thing to fix all the problems. Roll it out with much fanfare and by the time players realise nothing significant has changed (except a few new bugs) then the conversation has moved onto the next great CIG innovation to fix everything.

I'm sure it'll make some difference but it's not going to fix the game. Consider this: if player A moves around the map then SSOCS means that unnecessary assets are removed on the server as the player leaves an area - fine. But what happens when another player is still in the area vacated by A? In that case the assets are still required. So it'll work well if all the active players are clustered together on the server, but if they are spread out on the map then the server will still get bogged down handling all the updates.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1027 on: November 07, 2019, 04:29:17 PM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

kirin-rex

« Reply #1028 on: November 11, 2019, 12:07:31 AM »
lmao

10 Stories About The Weirdest Video Game Production Ever

You've really hit the big time of failure when cracked starts doing articles about you.

Thanks.  I really wanted to post this one, but the forum thought I was a spambot and wouldn't let me.

wiser3754

« Reply #1030 on: November 18, 2019, 10:35:55 PM »
o.0

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/11/star-citizen-creator-chris-roberts-on-the-future-of-gaming.html

"We can have up 4,000 or 40,000 players max on one world at one time". 40,000 players, with a ratio of NPCs of 9 to 1. That equals 360,000 NPCs in one instance/session/server or whatever and 40,000 players too. Not mention these NPC's behaviour describes by Chris will be close to the behavior of real players, have daily routines, fly ships and have physics attributed to them. All with the help of Amazon and server meshing.

*thumps head against the desk* No. No. No. No. No. How much is Amazon gonna charge CiG to use their servers that will be needed to render and communicate all this data with the help of cloud compute?

I wonder why Chris has been awol these last 10 months and now I know why. CIG wanted to stop Chris making these ludicrous statements. STFU CHRIS!!!! NO ONE IS FALLING FOR IT!!!

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #1031 on: November 21, 2019, 06:28:02 AM »
Perhaps you've misunderstood. The vast majority of NPCs will exist as only numbers on a spreadsheet, ferrying supplies here or there, they won't be rendered anywhere and so won't cost a thing.

Only when an NPC will run into a player will anything be rendered or computed by an actual server.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1032 on: November 21, 2019, 06:32:17 AM »
Perhaps you've misunderstood. The vast majority of NPCs will exist as only numbers on a spreadsheet, ferrying supplies here or there, they won't be rendered anywhere and so won't cost a thing.

Only when an NPC will run into a player will anything be rendered or computed by an actual server.

Spreadsheet? Is this some advanced new in house technology developed by the geniuses at CIG?

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #1033 on: November 21, 2019, 06:35:20 AM »
I dumbed it down, I think it's called, "the universe server", or something way, way too technical for you or me to understand.

Those crazy boffins!

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1034 on: November 21, 2019, 12:43:34 PM »
It's so nice when at the blink of the eye it goes from simulated universe towards static excel sheet.
But thanks for clearing up that it's the rendering that costs multiplayer servers that much  :grin:

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk