Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591862 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #1050 on: November 30, 2019, 09:11:29 AM »
First, perhaps you missed the start of the conversation. I was originally replying to this post:

I didn't. I was responding specifically to what I stated and quoted

So it wasn't nonsense. Not even slightly. Poorly described, perhaps, but not nonsense.

It was poorly described nonsense

Second, if that is true, surely you can understand my basic attempt at correcting the glaring, error of understanding, of my fellow forumite?

Except you weren't even close to doing that. Hence my response.

Third, if you've done it before, (what, twenty plus years ago?), maybe others can do it now, maybe even slightly better.

Of course. But I never claimed that it couldn't be done. Read what I wrote.

Third, part two, this is completely irrelevant to the original conversation.

No it's not

Third, part three, I haven't played either of the games you mention, but I have read quite a lot about them, from many and varied sources, and it's generally said, that they are among the most buggy and broken games ever made.

A game being buggy has zero relevance to the tech within. And your inference about my very first game - from 23 years ago - holds no relevance in the general scheme of things.

This is, of course, still completely irrelevant to my attempted explanation that you were, incorrectly, calling nonsense.

Gee, ya think?  :rolleyes:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

DemonInvestor

« Reply #1051 on: November 30, 2019, 12:24:41 PM »
I have no idea how they're going to do it. But one thing that I do know is that us devs tend to prototype and test things a lot. And in most cases what we design and prototype isn't usually what we end up with. And in the case of Star Citizen, this has been the common theme. Which is why I believe that whatever nonsense they were talking up stands zero chance of being implemented as described.

Simulating trade isn't a big deal since it's all done in a relational db. They don't need AI actors to do it. All they need is a market db that handles inventory prices etc. This is why most of us devs who have done this all before are just laughing that Shitizens are looking at this as if it's ground-breaking as sliced bread.

Hm thanks for your answer.
Might you have any link on the subject of trade simulation within games? I'd really like to read up a bit on the concepts and "simplifications" used in games in such simulations.
I mean i see the baseline for prices, timings for production and consumption and such as pretty basic. But i don't see it staying that simple the more detailed and interactable you want to make it after that point, if you don't also heavily fudge with the numbers to retain the trade in terms of external shocks (players ability to influence things).

Slapmeandcallmegurl

« Reply #1052 on: December 02, 2019, 06:47:06 AM »
I didn't. I was responding specifically to what I stated and quoted

It was poorly described nonsense

Except you weren't even close to doing that. Hence my response.

A game being buggy has zero relevance to the tech within. And your inference about my very first game - from 23 years ago - holds no relevance in the general scheme of things.

So my explanation to someone who believed that every single NPC would be rendered on Amazon's cloud service and how, in fact, most of the time, they wouldn't be, is somehow nonsense despite being a decent approximation of the actual system being used? I think you, and your opinion of my posts, might just be a little biased. The next poster seemed to understand well enough.

Please do explain to me how a buggy game has functioning tech within. If what you did worked, it wouldn't be buggy.

Anyway, this is a very silly conversation. The false belief has been cleared up and we can all move on.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1054 on: December 04, 2019, 11:23:21 AM »
So my explanation to someone who believed that every single NPC would be rendered on Amazon's cloud service and how, in fact, most of the time, they wouldn't be, is somehow nonsense despite being a decent approximation of the actual system being used? I think you, and your opinion of my posts, might just be a little biased. The next poster seemed to understand well enough.

That's some serious mental gymnastics you got going there. Did it hurt?

Please do explain to me how a buggy game has functioning tech within. If what you did worked, it wouldn't be buggy.

You literally can't be serious. But then again.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1055 on: December 04, 2019, 02:14:11 PM »

wiser3754

« Reply #1056 on: December 04, 2019, 03:35:56 PM »

SaltEMike, previously known as Twerk17, is a little flabbergasted as to why CiG need to invest in Turbulent and especially if they're using backer funds when instead it should be going into development.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2019, 05:17:09 AM by wiser3754 »

wiser3754

« Reply #1057 on: December 04, 2019, 03:39:34 PM »
BBC tech program Click promises investigation into Star Citizen’s delays

Are CiG gonna fight this thing? If not it'll be a good marketing ploy to reelnin more backers if they manage to swing the artivle in their favour.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1058 on: December 05, 2019, 12:05:37 AM »
Are CiG gonna fight this thing? If not it'll be a good marketing ploy to reelnin more backers if they manage to swing the artivle in their favour.

I like Click.

Joe Blobers head is going to explode.

N0mad

« Reply #1059 on: December 06, 2019, 01:43:00 AM »
I like Click.

Joe Blobers head is going to explode.

I'm not sure Click really represents the best investigative or tech journalism that the UK has to offer. If CIG try to run away from the programme then it might look bad, but if they engage then it'll be really easy for them to make themselves look good.

wiser3754

« Reply #1060 on: December 06, 2019, 04:00:40 AM »
Indeed. They'll showcase their tech and what they're planning on having in terms of interaction and content when they plan to release. Anyone skeptical or ignorant of the project might get roped in.

N0mad

« Reply #1061 on: December 06, 2019, 04:21:05 AM »
Anyone skeptical or ignorant of the project might get roped in.

Nah, I don't think BBC news lunch time viewing crowd is the target audience for expensive space ship JPEGs.

I hope it'll be a critical look at the business practices at CIG but I suspect it will be an instantly forgettable a 10 minute feature telling us stuff we already know.

wiser3754

« Reply #1062 on: December 11, 2019, 03:38:57 PM »

Ain't I an old softie? Tis the season after all.

N0mad

« Reply #1063 on: December 14, 2019, 03:20:59 AM »
BBC Click piece on Star Citizen is available (but probably just in the UK). Starts at 14:40

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m000cglv/click-1023-china-vs-silicon-valley

TLDR: it's a brief and superficial summary of everything we already know.

N0mad

« Reply #1064 on: December 14, 2019, 03:33:34 AM »
But in much more interesting news: season 4 of the Expanse is now available on Amazon.  :cat2:

No spoilers please, I haven't started it yet!!!
« Last Edit: December 14, 2019, 03:35:14 AM by N0mad »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk