Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592626 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Musings
« Reply #1185 on: January 21, 2021, 12:10:58 PM »
I think the answer is obvious.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

jwh1701

« Reply #1186 on: January 21, 2021, 02:53:27 PM »
Just putting this here.

He did a good job covering the scam and issues.

N0mad

« Reply #1187 on: January 24, 2021, 11:15:31 AM »
Warning: it's not what you think. I'm not even sure where to begin with this one, except to LOL.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1188 on: January 25, 2021, 03:04:05 AM »
Warning: it's not what you think. I'm not even sure where to begin with this one, except to LOL.

Jesus. Only get scammed by the authentic Roberts & Co. When he says about accepting the "longer road to concierge" when spending money on the grey market  :rolleyes:, the normalisation of big spending on an unreleased game is amazing.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1189 on: February 03, 2021, 12:25:38 PM »

This. is. nuts.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Judge_dolly_OG

« Reply #1190 on: March 12, 2021, 09:42:09 AM »
A long watch, but a really good in depth look at why CR and CIG's world building is a load of shit:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1191 on: March 17, 2021, 06:59:55 AM »
I watched that. It's true. All of it.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

krylite

« Reply #1193 on: March 28, 2021, 05:56:33 PM »
From that eurogame article's comments:

"riccyb0y 2 weeks ago

@irettlav Exactly, this is not a textbook example of "feature creep", to call it that is an injustice to all those people who've been in those meetings where real feature creep occurs. This is a scam and like you say, it's evolved into that. They could easily release this game with the funding they've received, I just picture a board-room full of execs all laughing to themselves as they plot their next marketing ploy.

I can't say I've had any interest in this game as this genre isn't for me at all but it's sad to see that something done to this extent that is conning consumers. I'll see you again in a year after they've raked in another $100m from the poor suckers with their imaginary spaceships.
Reply 14 0
riccyb0y 2 weeks ago

@NULL-PTR I’ve worked in software development for neary 20 years and I know vapourware when I see it. It sounds like you’ve been convinced by these scam artists, I hope you haven’t thrown too much money their way.
"

And a good summary video from December:

It's encouraging too see more and more calling out CIG and SC for the scam it's become (since Bootcha has either halted or slowed up his "Sunk Cost Galaxy" video exposé series) . Certainly CRob could have just worked on making an updated sq42/wc type of game soon after the kickstarter. Frontier stopped crowdfunding for ED after their kickstarter and just worked on finishing the first version of the game. But now SC is a runaway ponzi, an unstable collection of techdemos, and may never truly end I'm guessing unless that lawsuit website gains enough traction and the FTC or other feds gets involved somehow to stop CIG's predatory crowdfunding, but then the whole thing dies immediately if they can't sell ships anymore, right? because 350 million has mostly been squandered or embezzled for personal lifesytles already(?)

Anyways, ED: Odyssey's pre-alpha phase launch starts in about 9 hours. (http://www.dereksmart.com/forum/index.php?topic=38.msg13748#msg13748) And , imo, it's going to be a serious blow to the shitizen delusion as more abandon supporting it and flock over to ED:O. I'll do my own little reporting posts in the ED subcategory here this coming week, o7.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2021, 06:14:55 PM by krylite »

N0mad

« Reply #1194 on: March 29, 2021, 03:00:11 AM »
I think SC has been the industry joke for a long while now. As you say, they have zero incentive to finish the game now since their funding model is predicated on selling expensive ships to 'fund development'. Obviously that's not possible if you've released a finished product. So as long as they introduce just enough content to keep the players appeased, talk about how [insert made up tech word] is limiting their expansion but how [insert made up tech word] will save them soon, and more importantly: keep making JPEGS and ships - then I think enough whales will keep the show going. The thing is: the fanbase simply don't care that it's barely playable so long as they can collect a fleet of cool looking ships and fly around feeling superior to everyone else.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1195 on: March 29, 2021, 11:09:26 AM »
At this point only the die-hards give a shit. Everyone else is just laughing. Hey, I totally called it. Back in July 2015  :shrug:

krylite

« Reply #1196 on: March 31, 2021, 11:17:07 PM »
At this point only the die-hards give a shit. Everyone else is just laughing. Hey, I totally called it. Back in July 2015  :shrug:

Absolutely, even the few die-hards left are falling over themselves as no one's listening to them in the various yt ED:odyssey comments. Where most everyone's currently interested in ED:O's possibilities and the next phase 2 of the alpha. One poor sunkcoster even said it was "depressing" how most everyone is fawning or excited over what's seen so far in the streamed alpha playthroughs.  :emot-laugh: It just means that particular shillizen needs to face he was long wrong on the debate, was fooled by CIG and CR (and the yt shills, some with their heavily edited videos), and the reality of his sunkcost condition with SC sooner, so it's "depressing" to him and similar others of course.

I stumbled on this video, about 5 months old, but sorry, I had a long rofl , probably one of the biggest I had of the past 12 months. My sored stomach and neck muscles are recovering now. A "homie" styled rant on the SC scam: (the hilarious peak for me was near the end when he mentions his kid about plans to play SC together when it releases.. and then another hilarious comment basically about how CIG or the shillizen excuses or sad joke to expect posterity of current backers to "inherit" the game when it finishes  :emot-laugh:)

« Last Edit: March 31, 2021, 11:58:52 PM by krylite »

wiser3754

« Reply #1197 on: April 27, 2021, 04:44:54 PM »
"What is Star Citizen". Someone of course has to make an 'Honest Trailer' edition of it which you van watch right here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/mzp47w/what_is_star_citizen_honest_trailer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

wiser3754

« Reply #1198 on: April 28, 2021, 07:28:39 PM »
The joy of bounty hunting as describee by Heavy Bob. Spoiler: It's misery to the nth degree.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/n0n9th/misery_a_bounty_hunting_guide/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

StanTheMan

« Reply #1199 on: April 29, 2021, 09:05:08 PM »
"What is Star Citizen". Someone of course has to make an 'Honest Trailer' edition of it which you van watch right here.

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen_refunds/comments/mzp47w/what_is_star_citizen_honest_trailer/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=mweb

They laugh as they play the shitshow.....Do you think they would laugh if they bought a car and it broke down as they drove it off the forecourt ?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk