Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 591571 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #105 on: August 16, 2017, 04:51:45 PM »
The big question is, how many stupid Shitizens are going to think that that PC Gamer article actually is accurate?

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #106 on: August 17, 2017, 05:23:14 AM »
The big question is, how many stupid Shitizens are going to think that that PC Gamer article actually is accurate?

All of them?

I mean, think about it. Both GameStar.de and PC Gamer claimed to have played 3.0 months (due to the print mag lead times) ago, yet, backers haven't seen any of it, let alone have access to it. So how did these mags know they were actually playing 3.0? Oh right, they were on a moon, on a local LAN.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #107 on: August 17, 2017, 07:54:27 AM »
Looks like GameStar.de are going to be the only German Shillizens left

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #108 on: August 17, 2017, 12:08:36 PM »
That German article doesn't really say anything special about SC. I'd like to see the first one stating the obvious...

Greggy_D

« Reply #109 on: August 17, 2017, 12:39:28 PM »
Well there you have it.  Even the PC Gamer article states that development started in 2012.

N0mad

« Reply #110 on: August 18, 2017, 02:13:43 AM »
Wow, I wonder what people will make of this article which has popped up on GamaSutra:

Star Citizen Has a Huge Development Cost Problem

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #111 on: August 18, 2017, 05:27:07 AM »
Well there you have it.  Even the PC Gamer article states that development started in 2012.

Which still contradicts Chris who went on the record several times saying it started in 2011. So.  :shrug:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #112 on: August 18, 2017, 05:30:15 AM »
Star Citizen Has a Huge Development Cost Problem

This guest blog/article is interesting, and he nailed all the important aspects. It's curious that he thinks the game needs another $50M in order to deliver the game they promised backers, when in fact the project so far has been raising (and no doubt burning) through over $30M a year. I remember back in 2015 when I said if they had the engine, team, and over $150M, it would be possible. How far we've come.  :smuggo:

Success is far from guaranteed: Star Citizen does not have enough cash to deliver the game they promised backers. Even under very optimistic assumptions, they need around $55 million more to finish the job. CIG must keep the sales up or they will be insolvent. This explains why SC releases a constant stream of new, previously-unannounced ships – they are trying to drive new sales. If there are major operational inefficiencies inside any of the CIG studios, or marketing and sales costs exceed $68 million, or returns reach significant levels, or future sales drop off prior to release, this game cannot be delivered as promised!

Andrew

« Reply #113 on: August 18, 2017, 12:27:31 PM »
This guest blog/article is interesting, and he nailed all the important aspects. I

The article rests on the premise though that SC is indeed comparable with GTA V in payscale of its developers (are the people working on maybe THE premiere gaming-franchise in the world really paid the same as the devs in an upstart like CIG?). We also have to assume the numbers given for budget and marketing costs are true (even if they are originally stated by Rockstar we don't know how much they simplified or faked those numbers).

I wish when people write articles like this one they'd be really a bit more meticulous.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #114 on: August 19, 2017, 05:00:31 AM »
This guest blog/article is interesting, and he nailed all the important aspects. I

The article rests on the premise though that SC is indeed comparable with GTA V in payscale of its developers (are the people working on maybe THE premiere gaming-franchise in the world really paid the same as the devs in an upstart like CIG?). We also have to assume the numbers given for budget and marketing costs are true (even if they are originally stated by Rockstar we don't know how much they simplified or faked those numbers).

I wish when people write articles like this one they'd be really a bit more meticulous.

Agreed on all points. However, I think due to the amounts raised, he's viewing it from the standpoint of a Triple-A game, as there is really no other metric.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #115 on: August 20, 2017, 05:45:39 AM »
Gorf's take

PC Gamer - August 2016: 'Star Citizen's ('totally faked though we didn't know it at the time of this puff piece') 3.0 planetary demo blows No Man's Sky's away!

Consider some of the claims of last year's PC Gamer 3.0 write-up...

1) 3.0, which is coming towards the end of this year ("no sooner than 14+ months from now"), brings the first proper ("possibly as much as 25% of the first of 100 promised") star system("s") in Star Citizen to life, and is a major ("woefully meager") step towards making this universe feel like a gigantic backdrop ("a slightly bigger tech demo still missing most of the initial game mechanics and features promised in 2012").

2) Within this system, there are four big planets ("the same unapproachable gas giant we've had since 2.0, with the 3 remaining big planets MIA"), a smaller planet, space stations and moons, where you can apparently trade, haul cargo or partake in piracy ("carry one unit of cargo at a time to possibly sell once the developers figure out how not to have the box slam into the NPC merchant.")

3) The planet is fully rendered, Roberts tells me, with no skybox. The sun is in a fixed position, while the planet moves ("just a bright light source for this fake demo though Roberts assurances me his will eventually have better solar flares than Braben has in Elite.")

4)They then travel to an asteroid field near a moon, where they quickly locate the vessel—but also a group of pirates ("couple of pirate ships piloted by CIG employees concealed from my view so Chris can pretend this is spontaneous, AI driven action not local multiplayer larping.") After a quick and successful dogfight against a few enemy ships ("the hidden CIG employees"), the captain jumps out of the spacecraft and floats through the black until he boards the Starfarer. There are more pirates ("hidden CIG employees") on-board, as well as the frozen corpses of the crew to push through.

5)Star Citizen still has a very long journey ahead, but the move to 3.0 ("hasn't even really started yet and will not for months as it is just a fiction we are being asked to give verisimilitude to as CIG kicks off their annual fundraising telethon") feels like a significant step closer to building an exciting, online sci-fi universe that people will want to spend time in.

Meanwhile, over there.

Kastenbrust

« Reply #116 on: August 20, 2017, 03:56:44 PM »
Meanwhile, over there.

-30 Karma and descending fast. God they deserve to get burned and lose their money.

Motto

« Reply #117 on: August 22, 2017, 01:46:24 PM »
Well, here's one that clearly is mistaken

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #118 on: August 22, 2017, 01:57:57 PM »
Well, here's one that clearly is mistaken

LOL!! That header: STAR CITIZEN BROUGHT PART OF 3.0 TO GAMESCOM

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk