Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592201 times)

Knight Solaire

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #150 on: August 31, 2017, 05:49:09 AM »
But it's not  :10bux: Pay-to-Win :10bux:

No, not at all.  :laugh:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #151 on: August 31, 2017, 06:05:30 AM »
But it's not  :10bux: Pay-to-Win :10bux:

No, not at all.  :laugh:

LOL!! Yeah. We're all still laughing at that one. It's a PLEDGE!!!
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #152 on: August 31, 2017, 08:13:23 AM »
Because of course there is. "There's A Star Citizen 'Australia Tax Sale'" - Kotaku
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #153 on: August 31, 2017, 08:37:33 AM »
You might want to remove that tweet. The GST currently applies to all digital goods as of 1 July 2017. It's the GST on physical goods that has been delayed, and in that case this will apply from 1 July 2018.

The Australian goods and services tax (GST) applies to international sales of services and digital products provided to Australian consumers. This means overseas businesses will be required to pay GST on these sales from 1 July 2017.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 08:40:29 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #154 on: August 31, 2017, 09:02:12 AM »
You might want to remove that tweet. The GST currently applies to all digital goods as of 1 July 2017. It's the GST on physical goods that has been delayed, and in that case this will apply from 1 July 2018.

The Australian goods and services tax (GST) applies to international sales of services and digital products provided to Australian consumers. This means overseas businesses will be required to pay GST on these sales from 1 July 2017.

Why would I remove it? I was tweeting a Kotaku article without adding anything related to the veracity of the sale.

https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/903274372319858689

Motto

« Reply #155 on: August 31, 2017, 09:18:29 AM »
Technically, that is true. The article itself however is partly wrong. By still referring to it, you could be blamed for FUD and misleading backers etc. I wouldn't give them more ammo if it's not nessescary if I were you. But it's not wrong to tweet about it no. It's more of a "mweh" kinda feeling about it.

If they would correct the article, then it would be a good reference. It's no biggie, but still, it now has a ring to it if you know how to catch my drifiting thingy here so to speak of
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 09:21:58 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #156 on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:16 AM »
Technically, that is true. The article itself however is partly wrong. By still referring to it, you could be blamed for FUD and misleading backers etc. I wouldn't give them more ammo if it's not nessescary if I were you. But it's not wrong to tweet about it no. It's more of a "mweh" kinda feeling about it.

If they would correct the article, then it would be a good reference. It's no biggie, but still, it now has a ring to it if you know how to catch my drifiting thingy here so to speak of

They already updated the article. The onus is on them, not me.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #157 on: August 31, 2017, 09:28:47 AM »
You need to buy NOW instead of later because of completely unrelated reason is the oldest trick under the sun.

Maybe some Australian should notify their consumer protection oversight. I wouldn't be surprised if this kind of marketing is banned there anyway (I don't know for sure though).

mezla1058

« Reply #158 on: August 31, 2017, 08:29:07 PM »
I can guarantee that CIG are neither registered for nor paying Australian GST to anyone.

Motto

« Reply #159 on: August 31, 2017, 10:47:41 PM »
Tell that to the funding tracker. They precalculated that the 1 day sale with 5 year insurance would spike sales, so up it went again to almost 200K. Like we believe that  :bahgawd:

Wondering if the Aussie Gov could be easily notified of the GST money CIG is not giving them...

StanTheMan

« Reply #160 on: September 01, 2017, 04:45:36 AM »
BTW, as I just mentioned in the previous comment - I am a long time software developer.  Compilers and dev tools, desktop apps back when desktop apps were the thing, major scalable backend services for e-commerce companies, etc.

So when I tell you that reading the transcript of CR explaining how far they've gotten with SC and what's being shown and what's coming was without a doubt the most transparent and poorly done and blatant session of all off-the-cuff excuse making/obfuscation/bullshitting/outright fabrication I've ever heard then I mean the most over all the hundreds if not thousands of such things I've listened to from junior and senior developers and program managers over 40 years.  (And I've done it a few times myself over that period, though, better, I flatter myself.)

Also: Stuff. Stuff. Stuff.  And more stuff.

Serendipity .. listen to this EXPERT....you might kin learn something !

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #161 on: September 01, 2017, 06:33:00 AM »
Xbox One X couldn't save gamescom 2017 from weak media coverage

The most crowd-funded game in history, and which dominated the news for so many years, isn't even a media footnote now. Thankfully, shills like PC Gamer still write about it.

Motto

« Reply #162 on: September 01, 2017, 06:39:23 AM »
The shitstorm of media attention after CIG crashes on the other hand, will be the most intense mediacoverage for years  :D

the_wolfmann

« Reply #163 on: September 01, 2017, 06:43:16 AM »
The most crowd-funded game in history, and which dominated the news for so many years, isn't even a media footnote now.

This is entirely the community's doing. Noone dares to touch the SC subject with a 10 meter pole anymore. The ones that do are sure to succumb to severe backlash and even possibly DDoS attacks and the like. Every credible media source is waiting for them to either release the MVP or crash and burn to continue on their coverage.

What the zealous backers don't realize is that they've crippled the money-free marketing potential the project had, hence Sandi and Co. have to employ paying the media and incentivizing their backers to spread the word for them.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #164 on: September 01, 2017, 06:43:18 AM »
The most crowd-funded game in history, and which dominated the news for so many years, isn't even a media footnote now.
Nobody of the clickbait people want to touch it after the Escapist disaster.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk