Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592653 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #225 on: September 11, 2017, 03:19:46 PM »
STAR CITIZEN’S CHRIS ROBERTS IS ‘FED UP’ WITH GIVING 3.0 RELEASE ESTIMATES - MassivelyOp

Best comment ever

I mean I feel where the guy is coming from but he’s just such a rampaging tool about the whole thing it’s pretty much impossible to have any sympathy. Most games you can’t invest hundreds or thousands of dollars into the product before it launches so if it gets delayed people will be let down but not invested. So comparing it to other AAA companies makes no sense. When people are invested they’re going to want a high level of involvement or inclusion with that investment. Taking customer’s money to fund your development means you forgo the right to really complain or be exasperated by their response when you keep delaying things.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #226 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:57 PM »
STAR CITIZEN’S CHRIS ROBERTS IS ‘FED UP’ WITH GIVING 3.0 RELEASE ESTIMATES - MassivelyOp

:lol:

Tell them how it is, Chris! That old farts, trying to make a visionary such as yourself conform to conventionalisms like dates and goals! Just because they handed you a few tens of millions, they think they are entitled to anything! Preposterous!

Release when you feel like it, or hell, dont release at all! Thst’ll teach them some godamn manners

Orgetorix

« Reply #227 on: September 11, 2017, 07:38:40 PM »
Quote from: Chris Roberts
Right now it's a very not-for-profit enterprise where we plough the money back in.
Star Citizen 3.0 update "akin to Early Access" launch
"It would be the worst scam in the world."

:parpcorn:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 10:29:10 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

nightfire

« Reply #229 on: September 14, 2017, 10:11:22 AM »
A Star Citizen Player has Just Successfully Received a $45,000 Refund

Here we go on the exponential curve ride. When this news continues to spread, another bunch of whales who didn’t log in to SC for the past two years is going to wonder what’s up, rub their eyes in disbelief when they realize what’s been going on during their absence, and run for the exits. Rinse and repeat. $500 backers never stood a chance to make it beyond the SC refund sub, but $45k, that’s a different league.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

Motto

« Reply #231 on: September 14, 2017, 11:50:34 AM »
Honestly, I can't believe there would be whale backers who haven't looked into SC for quite some time now. If you're in it for 100 bucks, that's one, but if you're in for a couple of thousands, I'd assume you check in regularly.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

StanTheMan

« Reply #233 on: September 14, 2017, 12:43:29 PM »
Kyle Orland who wrote the ArseTechnica article refers to  to them as "impatient" for getting that refund.

What an idiotic thing to write.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:45:32 PM by StanTheMan »

Motto

« Reply #234 on: September 14, 2017, 12:44:54 PM »
Now why would thewy want to write "backers are fed up with empty promises made by Chris Roberts"? They need to save that for the next article...

StanTheMan

« Reply #235 on: September 14, 2017, 12:46:40 PM »

Here comes PC Gamer

http://www.pcgamer.com/star-citizen-backers-obtain-a-45000-refund/

Sorry! Page not found.
The article you requested has either been moved or removed from the site.

They have been gotten to !

Motto

« Reply #236 on: September 14, 2017, 12:49:37 PM »
OMG! Chris and his croonies have taken over the editing rooms of PC Gamer  :stonk:

Or maybe it was my summoning Joe Blobers to the discussion  :smuggo:
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 12:53:11 PM by Motto »

nightfire

« Reply #237 on: September 14, 2017, 01:00:24 PM »
Honestly, I can't believe there would be whale backers who haven't looked into SC for quite some time now. If you're in it for 100 bucks, that's one, but if you're in for a couple of thousands, I'd assume you check in regularly.

I would surmise that frustration over limited gameplay, being fed up with lack of progress and the subsequent decision to „take a step back from following game development for a while“ could hit anyone, anytime, regardless of the amount sunk into the wreck. But that’s just my guess… it’ll be interesting to see if and how many more whales will emerge from the deep in the near future, and what their stories will be. However, I’m sure that after this $45k comet strike, future whale refunds will get much more backer and media attention than they used to in the past.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #238 on: September 14, 2017, 01:10:58 PM »
CIG issue a press statement saying the refund wasn't accurate. Here is Ars update:

There is currently NO reason to believe CIG. To me, it's only fake if 1) we believe CIG 2) the guy comes clean

If it's fake, to think that a backer went to so much trouble to fake it, is completely unprecedented. And if they're making their own FUD now, that's a whole different ball game. Good thing they can't blame this one on Goons.

I am going to keep believing that it's real. The media would do well to inquire from the backer directly; and not rely on CIG who have a history of LYING to backers and the public.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 02:12:05 PM by dsmart »

N0mad

« Reply #239 on: September 14, 2017, 01:16:08 PM »
Wow, I'm loving the drama. But, OK, say that the 45K claim was fake - clearly CIG are worried about this.

I do get the feeling that SC is now a bit of a joke in the gaming community.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 01:17:51 PM by N0mad »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk