Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 593223 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #330 on: November 01, 2017, 01:49:02 AM »
This is a fun read  :D

Almost as though Star Citizen has become a bit of a joke in the industry.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #332 on: November 03, 2017, 03:59:52 AM »
Star Citizen’s Chris Roberts talks community, development, recruitment and release dates

Another journalist that didn't dare to state the obvious that Star Citizen will never see the light of day.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #333 on: November 16, 2017, 08:29:06 AM »
In case you missed it when Sean Tracy and an Intel rep went on a Newegg show @46:00, Gorf has his write up.

Sean Tracy, popping in with an Intel drone for some good old-fashion tag-team turbo-schlepping on a Newegg Infomercial livestream...

Listen in amazement as Sean answers the “What is Star Citizen?” question:

”So! Star Citizen’s huge — it’s an independent game being developed purely through crowdfunding...”

(And massive loans secured via rights to core IP with a bank repeatedly censured and fined for facilitating money-laundering operations by unsavory parties...)

“Um — so there’s no publishers involved...”

(And therefore no oversight, no accountability for financial waste or project mismanagement, no need to adhere to delivery schedules, and absolutely no external constraints on the reckless impulses of our deluded leadership team...)

”This is all through the brainchild of Chris Roberts who was one of the creators, uh — one of the creators THE Creator of Wing Commander, one of the most popular space sims that’s ever been, really...”

(And by that I mean it was not actually a Space Sim at all, just a dorky, cornball dogfighting game from over a quarter of a century ago...)

”Um — so Star Citizen itself is an epic first-person experience and you exist within a Universe that has hundreds of systems* with just as many planets**. And these planets can have cities on them***, they can have wildlife on them****, they can just be barren rocks, you can build outposts*****! You can explore! You can battle other NPCs!****** You can battle other players. You can be in a multiplayer ship. You can be in a single player ship. So basically it’s a sandbox universe. We give you the tools and it’s up to the players to basically play how they want.*******

* Technically, it has a fraction of one system playable today, with aims for a bigger fraction of one if/when its next nearly one year late (pre)Alpha patch comes out.

** Actually, it has one planet presently and hopes to add its first few moons in its aforementioned ultra-late (pre)Alpha patch maybe sometime next year.

*** Those planets don’t currently exist in game.

**** The non-existent planets do not have wildlife and the game doesn’t even yet have functional A.I. after 5 years. You can get some little fish in a tank, though. Happy hunting!

***** You cannot build outposts on a non-existent planet in a game that hasn’t yet given players outpost-building mechanics or places to use them.

****** Barely.

******* If by “sandbox universe” you mean one with no planets, moons, wildlife, or outposts in a space sim with half-baked flight models, unkillable bugs, unstable servers and choke-prone networking, and a smattering of NPCs with non-functional A.I., then sure... Why not?

I know most everyone is numb to it at this point but I will never not be amazed when hearing Chris, Sean, Lando or anyone else go on camera and willfully, brazenly, shamelessly lie about what Star Citizen is. An enumeration of wildly exaggerated aspirations for far away hopeful features is exactly that and exactly no more than that. Just because Chris Roberts is pathologically inclined to WishThink doesn’t mean it’s okay to go on camera and willfully conflate your most ambitious future hopes and feature promises with the embryonic and troubled present reality you can deliver to players today.

I mean this is some shameful shit.”
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

StanTheMan

« Reply #334 on: November 19, 2017, 05:26:29 PM »

******* If by “sandbox universe” you mean one with no planets, moons, wildlife, or outposts in a space sim with half-baked flight models, unkillable bugs, unstable servers and choke-prone networking, and a smattering of NPCs with non-functional A.I., then sure... Why not?

...and no sand in the sandbox.  Well maybe a few grains...

Picture of nerds in a sandbox trying to play spaceships with 3 grains of sand ...throwing wads of cash at .. cRoberts ..

Motto

« Reply #335 on: November 25, 2017, 07:40:42 AM »
Game Revolution reviews 3.0

Unfortunately, in time-honored Star Citizen tradition, 3.0 is buggy as hell. You'll get random slowdown, textures that fail to stream in, crashes, buggy interactions, random freak occurrences that end in your death, and other frustrating things. Sometimes the game will just refuse to load, and there's been a fair amount of server connection errors. In essence, though, this release to the PTU is kind of like the alpha version of 3.0 alpha.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2017, 07:44:09 AM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #336 on: November 25, 2017, 01:40:12 PM »
Yeah, I saw that yesterday. I like how the media are mostly ignoring the project now.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:28:47 AM by dsmart »

Flashwit

« Reply #339 on: November 29, 2017, 10:06:27 AM »
That kotaku article is particularly hilarious.

N0mad

« Reply #340 on: November 29, 2017, 01:35:07 PM »
It's really kicking off in the comments sections of all these articles. It's hilarious - Joe Blobers and his mates really have their work cut out !

Motto

« Reply #341 on: November 29, 2017, 03:04:34 PM »
I've asked Joe to not be a dickhead by removing all of his comments after CIG has crashed. I'm hoping I can beat his "90 days tops" reply  :D

Motto

« Reply #342 on: November 29, 2017, 04:40:43 PM »
Rolling Stone has an article too

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 04:29:17 AM by dsmart »

Motto

« Reply #344 on: November 29, 2017, 05:39:07 PM »
Nothing from our German friends? You know, the ones who played a brilliant 3.0 long before us mere mortals got this PTU release...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk