Author Topic: Star Citizen Media Musings  (Read 592599 times)

Motto

Re: Star Citizen Media Articles
« Reply #420 on: January 02, 2018, 03:49:21 PM »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #421 on: January 02, 2018, 05:59:11 PM »
You make an excellent point. There's definitely been a massive paradigm shift in the past decade with these (primarily indie) early access games being released for wide public consumption. Inside of that phenomenon, you have bizarre situations unfolding like you described, and I'll use Starbound as an example.

Having been born out of the popularity of Terraria (i.e. a sort of 2D Minecraft) Starbound brought a lot of neat, new ideas to the table (alongside many of other category contenders such as Crea, Darkout, Edge of Space, etc.) I put nearly a thousand hours into the game myself during its early access years, as did many others. Sadly, by the time the game went gold for initial release, the game's modding community and popularity had basically flatlined.
And there is another issue with this model: Indie developers quickly jumped on the "community-driven development" train. Put some alpha into early access and then ask gamers what they want. Problem is: Gamers do not know what they actually want.

In fact using community feedback and all kinds of data mining might get you a very neatly streamlined package, which doesn't offend anyone. Just like easy listening elevator music. Which is also boring like hell. That is why outstanding memorable video games were never a result of community polls.

So, it wouldn't surprise me, that if CIG is even able to survive long enough to release a product that is far too little and far too late, the hype train will derail quicker than the right end of a classical bell curve, and nobody will even care enough to be surprised.
I think Peak Star Citizen was already in 2015. Their supposed funding peak was in 2016. It's over already.

Flashwit

« Reply #422 on: January 03, 2018, 09:46:23 AM »
Eurogamer finally telling like it is. NOT!

Quote from: Eurogamer
But alpha build 3.0 also brings a core feature set which makes Star Citizen more closely resemble an actual game than ever before.

Technically this is literally true, but I don't think it quite gets the point across  :smuggo:

Motto

« Reply #423 on: January 06, 2018, 05:28:53 AM »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #424 on: January 06, 2018, 06:23:52 AM »
Dinner with PC Invasion

If you backed more than $1000, you get to meet & greet Chris Roberts for another $350. God this is all so hilarious.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

justme

« Reply #425 on: January 06, 2018, 07:36:50 AM »
anyone interested in a ticket?

jwh1701

« Reply #426 on: January 06, 2018, 07:39:09 AM »
If you backed more than $1000, you get to meet & greet Chris Roberts for another $350. God this is all so hilarious.

Not sure if describing it right but this stunt to me it's like he's saying I'm a rock-star, high profile celebrity or warren buffet. I could see this if he had delivered the game with stretch goals that was truly fantastic and entertaining. Also it sort of feels sort of celebratory when if fact red flags and dark clouds abound all around the project. But considering the amounts of money he has been given if he had delivered as promised CIG should of had free party with his backers to celebrate. I have been watching reddit and indeed I've seen backers with over 1k in the game voicing displeasure.

Your latest twitter image with the older lady is very funny.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 09:49:06 AM by jwh1701 »

justme

« Reply #427 on: January 06, 2018, 07:47:49 AM »
even in the concierge forums, also in the forums,
this is a topic.

some see that as investment, because with some drinks,
they talk a bit more clearly about future stuff and you always
see some hidden stuff. so maybe interesting for some streamers,
earning money with that.

helimoth

« Reply #428 on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »
is there a particular reason why we collectively aren't fundraising to send derek to these events in diguise?

jwh1701

« Reply #429 on: January 06, 2018, 10:20:58 PM »
Got time to read through Derek's new thread on the lawsuit which was thorough and interesting. Since Derek provided excerpts from the documents it seems very clear that CIG did break the agreement. Going to check daily on YouTube for updated videos on what others are saying.

Bored Gamer: Only one to make a video today on YouTube
Completely different take on it, says it will be diminished and and Cyrtek made false statements

jwh1701

« Reply #430 on: January 07, 2018, 10:33:44 AM »
The Inforunners: Video is up concerning lawsuit

Things stated in video, there is no need to worry at all this is a BullS*, False Lawsuit, Money Grab, only wanting to embarrass CIG, crytek wanting shush money, crytek are consistent liars, etc.

jwh1701

« Reply #431 on: January 07, 2018, 10:42:34 AM »

Posted by: helimoth
« on: January 06, 2018, 04:47:13 PM »

is there a particular reason why we collectively aren't fundraising to send derek to these events in diguise?

While one part of me would say this would be great and might be informative. But on second though I truthfully believe considering SC threat thread posted by Derek, I could not participate in fundraising as I honestly have doubts concerning his safety.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 10:44:20 AM by jwh1701 »

jwh1701

« Reply #432 on: January 07, 2018, 12:14:24 PM »
Anyone interested to speculate on this video the appeared as recommended, the name implies they are pro CIG/SC?
Just a coincidence or paid advertising? Is the title misleading? Is this just a background image loaded by a fan and not a true CIG owned laptop?

The first Star Citizen computer in gravity zéro !

https://socialblade.com/youtube/channel/UCVsv0SttI868LrYtO-ba6RQ

jwh1701

« Reply #433 on: January 07, 2018, 08:31:47 PM »
Missed this one just finished it, watched his previous video on Crytek/CIG lawsuit.
He is a lawyer and at the end says he would easily favor CIG in the lawsuit after reading the  GLA.

Kyrt

« Reply #434 on: January 07, 2018, 10:30:33 PM »
Missed this one just finished it, watched his previous video on Crytek/CIG lawsuit.
He is a lawyer and at the end says he would easily favor CIG in the lawsuit after reading the  GLA.

Yes.

However...assuming the case isn't thrown out because Skadden sued the wrong shell company, to my inexperienced eye..

the GLA specifically  forbids four of the five charges
the fifth depends on how the judge interprets "exclusively". Going with CIGs interpretation would create a hefty loophole in many a contract as many engine providers do like exclusivity to avoid diluting their technology.

I need to find time to watch that to see why he feels CIG is better placed.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk