Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315120 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen General BS
« Reply #2280 on: February 24, 2020, 12:13:24 AM »
You have to hand it to CIG - they know their audience. Give them a big shiny ship to fly around and they won't notice the lack of progress on all the other promised features.

wiser3754

« Reply #2281 on: February 24, 2020, 02:35:58 AM »
You have to hand it to CIG - they know their audience. Give them a big shiny ship to fly around and they won't notice the lack of progress on all the other promised features.

Until the shine comes off their new shiny ship and like the 890 jump, it won't be too long.

jwh1701

« Reply #2282 on: February 28, 2020, 01:45:03 PM »
Sean said in 2016 the planet proc-gen was beyond anything anyone else had in the industry.

Did I miss proc-gen in the video and why are they are still trying to find solutions?

N0mad

« Reply #2283 on: February 28, 2020, 02:20:31 PM »
Sean said in 2016 the planet proc-gen was beyond anything anyone else had in the industry.

Did I miss proc-gen in the video and why are they are still trying to find solutions?

I skipped through the video, it all seemed pretty dull, but yes this is procedural generation. Just because you're using an algorithm (hence procedural) to generate the detail doesn't stop you from having lots of settings you can tweak to get the effect you want. Nor does it stop you from having hand-crafted areas where required. The SC tech is better than No Mans Sky to be honest, but, like the rest of the 'game' it's been designed to look pretty rather than provide any interactivity which is what a game actually needs.

jwh1701

« Reply #2284 on: February 28, 2020, 03:32:45 PM »
I skipped through the video, it all seemed pretty dull, but yes this is procedural generation. Just because you're using an algorithm (hence procedural) to generate the detail doesn't stop you from having lots of settings you can tweak to get the effect you want. Nor does it stop you from having hand-crafted areas where required. The SC tech is better than No Mans Sky to be honest, but, like the rest of the 'game' it's been designed to look pretty rather than provide any interactivity which is what a game actually needs.

All very true, I just find it funny that they were close to completion per Sean but 4 years later looking at what little they managed and still looking for solutions is mind boggling.

N0mad

« Reply #2285 on: February 28, 2020, 05:44:56 PM »
The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that CR seems to prioritise visuals above all else. The less visual parts of a game: AI, physics, network code, gameplay are all ignored in favour of "fidelity".

Planets are no different in that regard. They may look pretty, and they have some pretty serious tech behind them, but what is there to actually DO other than fly around taking virtual selfies?

DemonInvestor

« Reply #2286 on: February 29, 2020, 04:56:37 PM »
Well, being somewhat willfully ignorant, that looks a lot like Starbound planet generation of "different colored ground = totally different planet" to me.

StanTheMan

« Reply #2287 on: February 29, 2020, 09:56:59 PM »
The biggest issue, in my opinion, is that CR seems to prioritise visuals above all else. The less visual parts of a game: AI, physics, network code, gameplay are all ignored in favour of "fidelity".

Planets are no different in that regard. They may look pretty, and they have some pretty serious tech behind them, but what is there to actually DO other than fly around taking virtual selfies?

Because his Hollywood buddies and those he wants to impress are not gamers. 

If he is lucky CRoberts will get some of them to look at the visuals and hear a few voice over celeb names and that is all he needs.

jwh1701

« Reply #2288 on: February 29, 2020, 10:13:49 PM »
Saw this posted on SC Reddit, great way to visualize everything you can invest in to help fund development lol.

wiser3754

« Reply #2289 on: March 01, 2020, 03:38:50 PM »
You know, I'd thought that the backers who own and don't own yhe new shiny shil, the Carrack, would ve pleased about it's inception. Clearly the catalogue of memes going around in this Reddit thread think otherwise.
https://reddit.app.link/YwKwveeLv4

jwh1701

« Reply #2290 on: March 01, 2020, 03:49:18 PM »
You know, I'd thought that the backers who own and don't own yhe new shiny shil, the Carrack, would ve pleased about it's inception. Clearly the catalogue of memes going around in this Reddit thread think otherwise.
https://reddit.app.link/YwKwveeLv4

LOL thx, seeing all the guys say criticism is important = double face palm.

N0mad

« Reply #2292 on: March 20, 2020, 12:01:45 PM »
Can't believe I'm about to argue this like a shitizen BUT:

Look through the guy's past videos, he's a critic rather than a fan. I'm guessing that he's pissed at CIG for not giving a refund & losing a lot of money or something.

He sounds pretty conspiratorial and all he quotes are "anonymous" sources.

I think this needs filing in the crackpot bin, at least until it gets reported independently by someone else (Derek / media), .

helimoth

« Reply #2293 on: March 23, 2020, 04:43:32 PM »
Does anyone have any thoughts as to what kind of impact Covid-19 will have on SC? Surely CIG will be forced to close studios - having hundreds of people working in close proximity is a no-no and whilst home working is possible for some roles I'd guess remote working makes some development roles a lot harder. Their UK studio staff spend will have some protection in the form of UK government covering 80% of wages but that's only up to a maximum of £2500 - if CIG don't make up the short fall that could force a lot of talent to look elsewhere for work.

However there are some costs which CIG won't be able to escape as easily - those offices attract a lot of rent and it's not like you can just turn all the lights off and pack up shop. You need people physically on site to maintain systems and you need to keep the place powered. They might also experience higher-than-usual server loads due to lots of bored people self-isolating and logging in meaning even more spend on maintaining those services. None of this will come cheap. That's just their UK office without even considering their others. On top of all that you just know that CR/Sandi and the rest of those leeches aren't going to stop taking out their monthly slice. I can't see content being as easy to churn out with staff all working remotely so it's not like they can just mass release ships to stay afloat.

This could also be a time when a lot of whales abandon the game. They are bored, stuck in isolation at home and they aren't going to be playing star citizen for very long because there is no game there and so will naturally look elsewhere. Just takes a few of the big spenders to get hooked elsewhere to make a dent in CIGs book.

krylite

« Reply #2294 on: March 27, 2020, 10:41:46 PM »
LOL

Yeah, I remember seeing an earlier video of that guy about where he and some friends went to CIG on a trip and realized their server infrastructure and development for the game was nowhere near able to support the idea of SC. I had a hoot hearing him repeat "it's a scam...it's a scam" in the rest of that video.

Does anyone have any thoughts as to what kind of impact Covid-19 will have on SC?  On top of all that you just know that CR/Sandi and the rest of those leeches aren't going to stop taking out their monthly slice. I can't see content being as easy to churn out with staff all working remotely so it's not like they can just mass release ships to stay afloat.

I would guess it depends how much the whole of CIG is set up to be able to manage their resources remotely. Interestingly, Frontier had notified customers they had moved all staff to work at home remotely. (https://www.frontier.co.uk/news/latest-news/update-frontier-about-covid-19-situation) ED is already a developed working version 1.1722 game, with a finished working peer to server infrastructure so maybe they were better equipped to leave their newer one building office. They also announced yesterday Fleet Carriers are finally arriving by June with a beta period in April next week, so apparently they can still move along with this while working under remote conditions: (https://forums.frontier.co.uk/threads/fleet-carriers-content-reveal-announcement.539505/)
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:55:07 PM by krylite »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk