Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1316099 times)

Narrenbart

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #210 on: March 02, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
But at the moment they are happy cause there was a company ... that works for CIG ... that has done a prototype char eye customizer ... through blendshapes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5x0b8e/star_citizen_avatar_creation_3dlateral_tech/

That means basically Chris Roberts invented Blendshapes ...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #211 on: March 03, 2017, 09:52:28 AM »
But at the moment they are happy cause there was a company ... that works for CIG ... that has done a prototype char eye customizer ... through blendshapes.
https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/5x0b8e/star_citizen_avatar_creation_3dlateral_tech/

That means basically Chris Roberts invented Blendshapes ...

Yup. It's hilarious that every time ED has them on the ropes, they pull a stunt like this. I
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #212 on: March 03, 2017, 04:12:43 PM »
Schedule report is out. Mar 23rd is the target date. :D

9 more months to 3.0 :D

Remember back when I said 3.0 didn't even exist? So now, by end of Q1/17, backers get 2.6.2.

The biggest issue here is that croberts inadvertently set them up to fail. Right off the bat.

Once money started rolling in, the pressure to produce goes up. Then once Nov 2014 was missed (by 28 months now) - and more money came in - the pressure increased exponentially.

So of course the longer it takes, the more it costs. The more it costs, the more money they will need to raise. The game isn't finished, so they can't monetize it. So they monetize the concept and ship sales. And that in turn adds more pressure because backers then get even more nervous.

Then croberts goes on the record and says they will need on-going funding to finish the game. And if that doesn't happen, at least they will have enough to finish SQ42. A game which isn't even close to the Star Citizen (aka PU) that backers put all this money in.

The schedule is a clear indication that the game is a long - long - way off. Which is why they dare not be truthful about it, nor release the "real" internal schedule.

Which is why this statement in the schedule is patently FALSE

IV.Internal schedules, the ones you will now be privy to, tend to have aggressive dates to help the team focus and scope their tasks, especially in the case of tech development. Every team, even a team blessed with the kind of support and freedom you have allowed us, needs target dates in order to focus and deliver their work.

For the above to be true, that would mean there is no 3.0 schedule because that build doesn't exist. If it does in fact exist, why is it not in the public schedule that they're claiming backers are now "privy" to?

...then there's my recap.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2017, 06:07:13 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #213 on: March 04, 2017, 11:24:47 AM »
I recall now all those people on r/starcitizen saying that they expect 3.0 by June. I mean come on. Look at their 3.0 list of stuff. It would take them until June just to get a single one of those professions in in a basic state.
The delusion is strong.

nightfire

« Reply #214 on: March 04, 2017, 04:57:18 PM »
The schedule is a clear indication that the game is a long - long - way off. Which is why they dare not be truthful about it, nor release the "real" internal schedule.

Considering how many times the schedule mentions "bug fixing / polish", and how it focuses on so many petty tech details, I'm starting to doubt that the game will get much further than 2.6.2 at all.

Maybe they've decided by now that a 2.6.2 - 2.7 - 2.7.1 - 2.7.2… patch progression is most likely to carry them through 2017/2018 (with the key feature of 2.7 being the least complex 3.0 item which can be thrown together in a superficially working state, and later updates to that feature plus new ship concepts to keep backers at bay). Regarding how to proceed beyond that, they've probably agreed to cross the bridge when they get there in 2019.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #215 on: March 05, 2017, 05:41:17 AM »

Considering how many times the schedule mentions "bug fixing / polish", and how it focuses on so many petty tech details, I'm starting to doubt that the game will get much further than 2.6.2 at all.

Maybe they've decided by now that a 2.6.2 - 2.7 - 2.7.1 - 2.7.2… patch progression is most likely to carry them through 2017/2018 (with the key feature of 2.7 being the least complex 3.0 item which can be thrown together in a superficially working state, and later updates to that feature plus new ship concepts to keep backers at bay). Regarding how to proceed beyond that, they've probably agreed to cross the bridge when they get there in 2019.

Yeah, that's my thinking as well. But lets face it; they can brand any build as 3.0, seeing as they don't tend keep to any of their milestone descriptions anyway. To wit: network bind culling and others from 2.6.0 are now no longer in the schedule.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #216 on: March 06, 2017, 05:46:09 AM »
Beer4TheBeerGod posted some interesting Star Marine stats

Star Citizen 2.6.1 was released on February 18th, so conservatively 14 days ago. Only 5 players have more than 28 hours played of Last Man, and no player has more than 28 hours played of Elimination. Only 43 players have played more than 14 hours of either game mode.

Star Marine is dead.

...meanwhile, over there

Narrenbart

« Reply #217 on: March 24, 2017, 04:46:31 PM »

Wait a moment ... they are using flowgraphs to create their game???
I can understand using flowgraphs for macro stuff like AI behaviour or Shader but ... game mechanics? This is valid for Tetronimo games but complex stuff will fuck up your flowgraph to a mess in no time ...

Well on the other hand it could be just a show off for the compentence level of their programmers flowgraph designers ...

Lir

« Reply #218 on: March 26, 2017, 05:49:49 AM »
[...] complex stuff will fuck up your flowgraph to a mess in no time ... [...]

Indeed; But we're talking about Star Citizen here  :D

Flashwit

« Reply #219 on: April 01, 2017, 09:48:45 AM »
Haha, I can't help but think that this is Newegg throwin' some collateral shade at Star Citizen

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-2173/index.html

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #220 on: April 02, 2017, 08:47:43 AM »
Haha, I can't help but think that this is Newegg throwin' some collateral shade at Star Citizen

https://promotions.newegg.com/nepro/17-2173/index.html

Yeah, that was hilarious.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #221 on: April 02, 2017, 09:06:14 AM »
So they rushed 2.6.2 out just so they could say they met the Mar deadline. It's broke AF. Over 150+ bugs logged so far.

Hilariously, they pushed it live 3hrs after it went to the PTU.  :supaburn:

Scruffpuff

« Reply #222 on: April 02, 2017, 12:23:11 PM »
So they rushed 2.6.2 out just so they could say they met the Mar deadline. It's broke AF. Over 150+ bugs logged so far.

This is the thing that really burns me about this project.  Not only is it a scam, it's an open-faced scam, on par with Scientology, and they're showing an incredible amount of contempt for their backers.  It's almost as if they're trying to shove it in the faces of other publishers and developers just how far they can go and still have their base of devoted backers, whereas real developers have to treat their customers with a modicum of respect.

It's insulting to their backers, and it's insulting to the industry in general.  Really it's an insult to anyone who actually works for a living.  Nothing that happens to Chris after this is too much.

Phraccy

« Reply #223 on: April 03, 2017, 03:09:29 AM »

true, but to be fair....that was just the last iteration of the PTU build. 2.6.2 went to PTU on Tuesday IIRC. Buat anyway, I agree that they pushed it out just to prove a point .... Really feel sorry for all the backers still hoping for that awesomesauce patch 3.0 that will magically fix everything...

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #224 on: April 03, 2017, 08:54:33 AM »

true, but to be fair....that was just the last iteration of the PTU build. 2.6.2 went to PTU on Tuesday IIRC. Buat anyway, I agree that they pushed it out just to prove a point .... Really feel sorry for all the backers still hoping for that awesomesauce patch 3.0 that will magically fix everything...

Yes it was; and that was my point. These bugs were already known in that PTU build; but they pushed it live anyway.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk