Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314398 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #810 on: August 09, 2017, 06:46:51 PM »
When Chris Roberts lies to you over 3.0 releasing in 2016 you declare it a "hope".

But it wasn't a promise though.  :laugh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Orgetorix

« Reply #811 on: August 09, 2017, 09:42:44 PM »
I see things differently to you. That's about all there is to it. Me and hundreds of thousands of other people, not all insane or stupid, think the same.

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.” -Mahatma Gandhi

And there are many that see differently than you. The question that you need to answer is, "Are you looking for the Truth, or are trying to build walls to shade lies that you are deeply invested in, from the Truth?"

Serendipity

« Reply #812 on: August 10, 2017, 12:51:52 AM »
I see things differently to you. That's about all there is to it. Me and hundreds of thousands of other people, not all insane or stupid, think the same.

"An error does not become truth by reason of multiplied propagation, nor does truth become error because nobody sees it. Truth stands, even if there be no public support. It is self sustained.” -Mahatma Gandhi

And there are many that see differently than you. The question that you need to answer is, "Are you looking for the Truth, or are trying to build walls to shade lies that you are deeply invested in, from the Truth?"

I'm not looking for much, just a video game I've pre ordered. I'm not heavily invested, I just enjoy talking about it. Games will come and I'll judge them when they do. Hopefully they'll be fun.

Ha ha, yeah, my Dutch is obviously nonexistent. Fair enough on using explosion. Love your country, both jazz festivals and stag weekends have entertained me thoroughly before now. The idea the universe is increasing its expansion isn't my theory. I think it is pretty well accepted by much better minds than mine. Feel free to use that in a quote to call me stupid again.

You will accept the expertise of physicists but when it comes to Star Citizen you think you know better than a highly experienced Game Developer.

When Chris Roberts lies to you over 3.0 releasing in 2016 you declare it a "hope".

We've been over the 'lies' thing already but just to spark your memory, because it didn't happen when he hoped it would, doesn't make him a liar.

I believe the word of physicists because of this very important standard called, the scientific method, that encourages the truth to fall from experiments. Derek may be highly experienced and may have developed games before but that doesn't mean CIG can't do what they say they can do. If nobody ever tried to innovate we'd still be driving wooden carts with horses.

Those who say a thing is impossible should get out of the way of those doing it.

3.0 release, for me at least, will show that Derek was wrong and the game envisioned can be built. It'll be a shallow version of a small part of what they want, granted, but every journey starts with a single step. It also takes a lot of steps in-between to get to the end of a worthwhile journey.

If CIG collapse before we get 3.0 and up to 4.0 then Derek was right. Only time will tell.

N0mad

« Reply #813 on: August 10, 2017, 01:17:58 AM »
If nobody ever tried to innovate we'd still be driving wooden carts with horses.

I think we've covered this before: You're implying that Star Citizen is being innovative but exactly what innovation is Star Citizen doing?

I will grant you that when they first started talking about planetary tech in an open universe it was pretty ahead of its time but since then they've failed to deliver anything meaningful. It's great having an idea and a dream but it's meaningless unless you can deliver. CIG has taken so long to deliver anything that other games have implemented the technology with far more success.

nightfire

« Reply #814 on: August 10, 2017, 02:18:52 AM »
We're all having fun aren't we?

WE certainly do. But then again, many of us are neither whales nor cultists.

How it must feel for some who is heavily invested in the game to assure himself every morning that everything will turn out fine in the end – this I don’t know  :shrug:

Serendipity

« Reply #815 on: August 10, 2017, 03:07:53 AM »
If nobody ever tried to innovate we'd still be driving wooden carts with horses.

I think we've covered this before: You're implying that Star Citizen is being innovative but exactly what innovation is Star Citizen doing?

I will grant you that when they first started talking about planetary tech in an open universe it was pretty ahead of its time but since then they've failed to deliver anything meaningful. It's great having an idea and a dream but it's meaningless unless you can deliver. CIG has taken so long to deliver anything that other games have implemented the technology with far more success.

Well it's either impossible to make the game as pitched, as Derek suggests, or it isn't. If it's impossible then it's never been done before. These two things kind of go hand in hand.

If there is a game out there that does all the things 3.0 will bring then please let me know. I'm pretty sure non exists yet.

A game that looks beautiful and I can go from FPS to ship to station, walk around in station, get back in my ship, fly seamlessly to a planetary body and land, do more on foot stuff, PvP or PvE, rinse and repeat.

That's what is new. The whole caboodle, nothing in and of itself but the glorious whole.

You can't have it both ways. It's either impossible to do and therefore never been done before or it's not impossible to do and, probably, been done before. Take your pick.

We're all having fun aren't we?

WE certainly do. But then again, many of us are neither whales nor cultists.

How it must feel for some who is heavily invested in the game to assure himself every morning that everything will turn out fine in the end – this I don’t know  :shrug:

I wouldn't describe myself as either a cultist or a whale but I'm certainly having fun. I wouldn't be here if I wasn't.

N0mad

« Reply #816 on: August 10, 2017, 03:43:49 AM »

A game that looks beautiful and I can go from FPS to ship to station, walk around in station, get back in my ship, fly seamlessly to a planetary body and land, do more on foot stuff, PvP or PvE, rinse and repeat.

That's what is new. The whole caboodle, nothing in and of itself but the glorious whole.

I believe it is possible to accomplish what they promise, just not with CryEngine and not by CIG.

Nobody has got every part of what you want working but studios are getting closer to your dream, I'll give you some examples:
  • No Man's Sky: looks beautiful and I can go from FPS to ship to station, walk around in station, get back in my ship, fly seamlessly to a planetary body and land, do more on foot stuff, PvE - just lacking PvP
  • Space engineers: looks beautiful and I can go from FPS to ship to station, walk around in station, get back in my ship, fly seamlessly to a planetary body and land, do more on foot stuff, PvP - just lacking PvE
  • Dual Universe: looks beautiful and I can go from FPS to ship to station, walk around in station, get back in my ship, fly seamlessly to a planetary body and land, do more on foot stuff, PvP - ? lacking PvE
Now, that said, these are all very different Games, with different gameplay mechanics and less emphasis on being a shooter. My point is that Star Citizen isn't innovative, at least not any more.

Oh, and the other thing that all these games have in common is that they all use custom engines designed from the ground up to work at the scale required - perhaps something you'd think a computer wiz like CR should have realised from the start.

It's all well and good becoming a huge supporter & defender of a game that exists - if Star Citizen was a real game by now I think we'd all be fans of Chris Roberts instead of being critical.

What I can't understand is why people are huge fans of a game that exists only as screenshots and tech demos. CIG are selling people a dream, their scope is so huge that I bet everyone has a different idea what they game is going to be when it's finished. The trouble with selling an over-hyped dream is that the reality never matches people's expectations - just look at No Man's Sky, and at least they actually have a game!

« Last Edit: August 10, 2017, 03:53:27 AM by N0mad »

Padrepapp

« Reply #817 on: August 10, 2017, 03:59:15 AM »
I really do hope that the forum's engine has some maximum allowed posts, like 150 so we don't have to read more of Serendipity boring arguments.

I remember the time when I receieved an email that this thread had a new post, and it was something funny/interesting/new information. Now it's a thread for Serendipity's rambling.

Sad.

Knight Solaire

« Reply #818 on: August 10, 2017, 04:27:38 AM »
I really do hope that the forum's engine has some maximum allowed posts, like 150 so we don't have to read more of Serendipity boring arguments.

I remember the time when I receieved an email that this thread had a new post, and it was something funny/interesting/new information. Now it's a thread for Serendipity's rambling.

Sad.

^^^^^^^^^Yeah, this!^^^^^^^^^^

N0mad

« Reply #819 on: August 10, 2017, 04:32:28 AM »
Although it is nice to hear a different opinion occasionally.

Padrepapp

« Reply #820 on: August 10, 2017, 04:43:33 AM »

Yeah, where occasionally does not mean 100+ posts from 1 person.
I came back from a 1 month holiday, and saw that there are 10+pages on the thread. I was so happy that there are so many things to read, but there were like 5 decent posts.

Motto

« Reply #821 on: August 10, 2017, 04:57:36 AM »
You do realise that with that max. number of postings (this being my post 152), you are severely diminishing my changes of actually retrieving the posting crown? So, me says ne uh hu to that...

Knight Solaire

« Reply #822 on: August 10, 2017, 05:25:41 AM »

Opinions and debate are great, but it seems to have devolved into a pointless conversation where Motto or others will try to provide evidence and reasons for why CIG is lying and taking advantage of backers and in response, Serendipity says he believes everything Chris says and you can't prove he's lying.

This is not a debate because Serendipity never provides any evidence for why he believes CIG and CRoberts are trustworthy in the face of all the evidence to the contrary. He simply states that his opinion is he believes them and will patiently wait for the game.

That's all well and good, but there's really nothing more to be debated there.

Motto

« Reply #823 on: August 10, 2017, 05:36:13 AM »
I disagree  :D

Knight Solaire

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk