Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1313673 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #960 on: August 31, 2017, 05:45:30 AM »
I added this part to my GC2017 article because I think it's relevant

That's not all, we all saw the performance issues which various sources had told me about, and which I'd discussed these past months. This Idris ship, is a frigate (which for some reason they're now calling a capital ship) class. Having seen the performance when even one of them is in a scene, let alone two, who here believes that they're ever going to be able to put in ships of this size in the game? Here, take a look a the ship chart updated for GC2017 and be the judge. The Idris, which is missing btw, would be in the lower left under Aegis. You can see its size comparison in this ship cross-section image.

Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Serendipity

« Reply #961 on: August 31, 2017, 07:02:42 AM »
I think the Idris is just below the javelin and just above the retaliator, avenger, crucible and reclaimer. Could be wrong.

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:09:06 AM by Serendipity »

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #962 on: August 31, 2017, 07:16:59 AM »

Left: mid 8th gen
Right: late 7th gen

Their game engine is 2011 material and it becomes really obvious now.

Serendipity

« Reply #963 on: August 31, 2017, 07:19:22 AM »
Don't know about that, Mark looks pretty good here.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #964 on: August 31, 2017, 07:26:58 AM »

Show me WHERE in the "game", that appears. In real time. I'll wait.

We've seen a LOT of models and renderings of Miles Eckhart for over a year now. Then it appears live - again - in the game, and still looks like shit.

Explain.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #965 on: August 31, 2017, 07:32:54 AM »
Show me WHERE in the "game", that appears. In real time. I'll wait.
It's obviously concept art, which was never rendered by CryEngine.

Can't wait until that "video game press" praises Star Citizen for its distinctive retro look, which has been "beautifully remastered" for 2022 release.  :five:

Serendipity

« Reply #966 on: August 31, 2017, 07:34:37 AM »
I can't show you Squadron 42 because it isn't finished yet. You know this. If you can wait until Citizencon, then apparently we should get to see a lot of Squadron information. You probably also know this too.

Miles looks pretty good here.

What about the render player faces on video screen technology they showed too? The pilot on screen in the other player's ship? That looked impressive and very cool

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #967 on: August 31, 2017, 07:43:18 AM »
This looks like a 2011 Crysis 2 level. Once you experienced current technology from CD Projekt RED and Naughty Dog, you can't go back to this.

Even Mass Effect: Andromeda got laughed off the stage for falling behind in character animation. Star Citizen isn't an AAA game by any current standards. Only the budget is AAA.

N0mad

« Reply #968 on: August 31, 2017, 07:45:07 AM »
Serendipity - We've had this discussion already and you lost. So here we are again:

Star citizen 2017 ($156 million so far):

Crysis 3 2013  ($66 million to make):

« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:47:57 AM by N0mad »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #969 on: August 31, 2017, 07:45:30 AM »
Miles looks pretty good here.

:lol: :lol:

What about the render player faces on video screen technology they showed too? The pilot on screen in the other player's ship? That looked impressive and very cool

It's a gimmick. Sure, some people care about it, and there's nothing wrong with that. I don't because it's bullshit, and a waste of time and resources which could have gone into actually finishing the fucking game, THEN adding shit to it.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:52:04 AM by dsmart »

Serendipity

« Reply #970 on: August 31, 2017, 07:52:22 AM »
*edited to remove images already quoted*

Serendipity - We've had this discussion already and you lost. So here we are again:

Will Crysis 3 take that face and display it in my mate's ship? Will it animate in time with my face? Is that pre rendered cutscene of a finished game compared to a real time image captured off a stream of a game in alpha? Look at Marks face above if we're comparing cut scenes, not an image ripped off a stream of an in game alpha with face rig stuff happening live.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2017, 07:53:57 AM by dsmart »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #971 on: August 31, 2017, 07:57:23 AM »
Will Crysis 3 take that face and display it in my mate's ship? Will it animate in time with my face? Is that pre rendered cutscene of a finished game compared to a real time image captured off a stream of a game in alpha? Look at Marks face above if we're comparing cut scenes, not an image ripped off a stream of an in game alpha with face rig stuff happening live.

You've never played it, have you? Don't make me break out Farcry or Uncharted screen shots

N0mad

« Reply #972 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:36 AM »

Where to start ?... 

Firstly you say "I'm not here to defend CIG blindly because I'm not an idiot or mentally ill", yet you seem fairly blind.

Secondly the SC image is using your much lauded face rig - concentrate on the detailing or, actually, the lack of it, and that's a player character model which you would expect to be high detail.

Lastly, as you might have realised by now, those Crysis screenshots are ALL IN GAME, using Cryengine and, most likely, an older generation rig.

Motto

« Reply #973 on: August 31, 2017, 08:03:38 AM »
Will Crysis 3 take that face and display it in my mate's ship? Will it animate in time with my face?

Will Scam Shitizen for that matter? They say they will, but they haven't shown it yet. They  say a whole lot of things, but producing them, they can't. Gamescom 2017 made that painfully clear. That's most likely the reason the fanboys are in uproar. Too much of what Derek has been saying now is actually hitting very close to home...

Aya Reiko

« Reply #974 on: August 31, 2017, 11:15:30 AM »

And tell me, in a space sim, just how is this even relevant when they clearly haven't got the core game mechanics locked down yet?

Answer; It's doesn't.  It's a distraction to keep the remaining whales in line.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk