Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1315168 times)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1005 on: September 02, 2017, 08:30:44 AM »
Nick's Sept 1st schedule report analysis is up.

As he pointed out, they removed the majority of all descriptions, as well as the "completed" and "bug fixing" status descriptors. That, and the fact that they have now started removing things, goes back to what I have written about that 3.0 isn't ready (sources says it needs +6 months, and that was back in July) and that they are going to end up releasing "something" in the short term, and branding it as 3.0. But don't worry though, everything is fine.

Schedule Report: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/schedule-report
Diff: https://www.diffchecker.com/y7JlgDfo

quote:
Completed: 0
Delayed: 5
Regressed: 0
New Tasks: 1
Removed From 3.0: 1
Remaining: 8
Needs bug-fixing: 24
Total In-progress: 32

quote:
Our Gamescom team is back from a successful showing of Star Citizen in Cologne. Thousands of people got to experience one of the moons of Alpha 3.0 firsthand in our show floor booth and many also got a chance to see more at the Gloria Theater in downtown Cologne Friday night. Essentially those attendees at the show were our first external “testers” for 3.0 and while they were busy having fun flying and adventuring around the new areas of Star Citizen, they also helped us identify more bugs in the game as we continue efforts to bring 3.0 to its live launch. As a result of all the “play testing” at Gamescom, our bug count has taken an upward swing this week as more issues were discovered during the demos in our booth. Last week the must-fix issues totaled 68 and this week saw a jump up to 94. While that seems like a large increase, it is very much a part of the burn-down process in game development. Also these bugs were discovered much quicker due to the sheer numbers of players who came through our booth (2,000 +). The process also showed us that the build isn’t quite ready for a wider test, just yet. Since Gamescom, the SC team has been hard at work to bring those numbers to a level where we can “go wider” with the Evocati, the PTU and the entire player base.

One other news of note. This week, we’ll be pulling down the various project timelines on our weekly dev schedule as our bug burn down numbers become even more critical to our launch and are much more of a driving force in our ultimate goal: getting 3.0 in your hands.

DELAYED

MISSION GIVERS - ETA is 8th September (was 25th August)

SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM - ETA is 4th September (was 29th August)
The date has moved out slighty due to extra debugging and support.

COMMS SYSTEM UI - ETA is 6th September
We are adding the initial implementation of the Comms System in to 3.0.0 which will allow players to hail in order to request landing while at the various space stations in the PU.
During recent gameplay reviews with the directors, additional items of polish and general feature feedback has been received and incorporated into the schedule to achieve the desired level of polish we require before releasing.

MISSION SYSTEM - [No change but from the comments seems likely o be delayed]
Progress on this feature is currently under Director review. Any feedback received from this review that could result in further work will be evaluated and estimated.

NEW

COCKPIT EXPERIENCE - ETA is 5th September
The Cockpit Experience sprint team focused on improving the overall player experience in the cockpit by refining the cockpit geometry, character placement, g-force/hit reactions, VFX, Audio, UI, as well as code support for things like camera shaking and hooking into ship health systems to display proper damage.

REMOVED FROM 3.0

IMPROVED LIGHTING FOR FOG TECH - TBD Removed
We have started the task of relighting all the environments and ships to incorporate this new feature. However, due to the volume of work, it is likely to be an ongoing process and extend beyond 3.0.0, so we will relight everything we can up to the live release and then address whatever remains in a future patch.

OPEN

- MISSION GIVERS
- CHARACTER CUSTOMIZATION
- VEHICLE CUSTOMIZER APP
- SHIP SELECTOR APP & INSURANCE CLAIM
- COMMS SYSTEM UI
- MISSION SYSTEM
- ADDITIONAL SURFACE OUTPOSTS
- COCKPIT EXPERIENCE

NEEDS FIXING

- INVENTORY SYSTEM SUPPORT
- INVENTORY SYSTEM
- ITEM 2.0 SHIP CONVERSION – PART 2
- INSURANCE
- DOORS AND AIRLOCKS
- CARGO
- CARGO MANIFEST APP
- KIOSK SUPPORT
- REPAIR
- HINT SYSTEM
- PERSONAL MANAGER APP
- MISSION MANAGER APP
- MISSION BOARD APP
- PHYSICS SERIALIZATION
- DRAKE DRAGONFLY
- RSI CONSTELLATION AQUILLA
- MISC PROSPECTOR
- ROVER AND DRAGONFLY IN SHIPS
- ITEM 2.0 MULTI FUNCTION DISPLAYS
- MOBIGLAS OVERHAUL
- RENDER TO TEXTURE
- RSI AURORA
- PLAYER MANNED TURRETS
- ENTITY OWNER MANAGER
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1006 on: September 02, 2017, 10:16:35 AM »
I haven't read quite so much bullshit put together in a long time. Notice how they try to use project management terms and techniques as proof of how professional they are? Stuff like sprint team. I think if one was to really closely go through all the updates, every term from Agile, Scrum, Waterfall, Lean, Sigma and what not would pop up. They are polishing so much, by the time 3.0 will get it's release, it will be shinier than the sun. They should do a flash sale for RSI approved 3.0 Sunglasses. Maybe Chris can team up with a partnercompany for that? After all, sunglasses are facewear too  :smuggo:

helimoth

« Reply #1007 on: September 02, 2017, 01:51:09 PM »
I haven't read quite so much bullshit put together in a long time. Notice how they try to use project management terms and techniques as proof of how professional they are?

haha yeah and then that 'technical' term is all you hear the shitizens parrot for the next few months so that they can try to sound knowledgeable too. I think I saw one thread where CIG were using code refactoring (of all things) to try to explain away a delay and for the next few days I saw that term used so much.  :rolleyes:

I heard that croberts in fact just spins the CIG 'Excuse Wheel' (Ver 2.6.3) whenever he needs to explain away a delay

« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 01:57:19 PM by helimoth »

nightfire

« Reply #1008 on: September 03, 2017, 05:29:53 AM »
A wise man once said…

Really looking forward to 3.0 now. Should be amazing.

:laugh:

Motto

« Reply #1009 on: September 03, 2017, 05:35:15 AM »
Well, you've got to give him credit for that prediction as it indeed was amazing. Amazingly bad, but nevertheless amazing.

Note that he pobably meant the actual released 3.0 build. Although I think that release will be as amazingly bad as the GC17 demo.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 05:37:06 AM by Motto »

nightfire

« Reply #1010 on: September 03, 2017, 07:32:09 AM »
Note that he pobably meant the actual released 3.0 build. Although I think that release will be as amazingly bad as the GC17 demo.

Yes, we always have to keep in mind that 3.0 ≠ 3.0 ≠ 3.0! As the years go by, this tends to be forgotten.
  • The original, genuine, mammoth 3.0, the real deal everyone was looking forward to in 2016 (or was it 2015)… you know, the Jesus Patch and New Netcode Implementation – that Mother Of All Updates was already something entirely different to begin with.
  • The watered down 3.0 promised this year was like a 1:10 dilution of the original.
  • Then they stripped down and delayed more features in the months and weeks before GC, resulting in further dilution.
What will happen between now and when they actually release something under the disguise of 3.0, is anyone’s guess. However, according to the theory of homeopathy, the potency of the game will increase with each dilution. So, prepare for the worst… er, best!

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1011 on: September 03, 2017, 07:41:12 AM »
Well 3.0 is old news now. We've moved on to 3.1  :argh:
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1012 on: September 03, 2017, 07:53:44 AM »
And don't forget the mother of the motherpatch of all motherpatches, pre-stage alpha 4.0  :golfclap:

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1013 on: September 03, 2017, 12:24:26 PM »
Why don't they just go for it and make the debut full release of the game with 3 moons plus 100 systems. Of course you can't land on any of these 100 systems  you simply fly past each of them and they all look suspiciously exactly like each other. Jobs, economy, that will come in DLC, that is should the backers continue to support CIG, Want to land on those planets, DLC, Economy=DLC, Trade+DLC everything else =DLC.

I would laugh my ass off. I wonder if the term MVP could mean a buggy partially done 3.0 and that because the term is so nebulous that legally Roberts could claim it is the final version?
So long as Roberts powers up his PC for 10 minutes a day he could say he was "working on it".
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 12:26:32 PM by Spunky Munkee »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1014 on: September 03, 2017, 02:01:10 PM »
MilesK over at SA:

So I was bored and wanted to see how easily I could make an accurate Croberts transcription from Youtube's auto-caption system.

Here's Chris detailing the state of SQ42 just before leaving for the Imaginarium mocap shoot, 2 years 4 months and 28 days ago.

That's a crazy read considering that's nearly two and a half years ago. It's been a long time since CR mentioned kickstarter tiers too.

Would be a shame if that transcript were to be posted to reddit, as a reminder of what everyone paid for and what was coming in 2016.

70 SQ42 missions coming in 2015!
So here is my 10 for the chairman questions. I'd like to say that this is probably going to be the last 10 for the chairman that you get from me for a while because I'm getting on a plane. This is... we're shooting this on Friday for Monday airing but I'm actually flying on Monday to the UK where I'm going to be working hard on the performance capture sessions for squadron 42 which is very cool. Hannis and myself are going to be working with all the actors and setting up all the scenes for squadron 42. We've got some... we're gonna have a pretty awesome cast. We're not going to share it yet it's going to be something that we'll reveal closer to the day but I think you guys will be both impressed and happy. Stories for Squadron 42 is shaping up really well. I think we haven't shared in detail, later on we were... we will share it but essentially you know we've got a really big sort of story arc so we're going to split it into a trilogy, so you know Wing Commander one, two, three, that kind of thing.

So episode one is what people will play this year and that's the one that has seven... the equivalent of 70 Wing Commander style missions and it's formulated a little differently than say the old Wing Commander because the Wing Commander it was like you flew a space mission and then you're aboard the ship and had some conversation, you flew another space mission. Whereas in squadron 42 you can fly a space mission and then land, get out, get into a firefight with some pirates then chase another pirate, he gets into a ship and takes off, you get into a ship and chase him, so you know in the old sort of Wing Commander format that's actually three missions but it's all sort of one fluid thing that happens. There'll be three sort of checkpoints so to speak of in squadron 42 for those kind of things, but it would sort of all be one overall mission.

So we're sort of thinking it's like 20, I think it's 21 chapters or so, and each chapter sort of is a segment of missions that's sort of a kind of fluid, so they sort of do this and then maybe you'll stop and be talking around and dealing with people and get into some action and then it sort of goes on like that.

So it's the equivalent of about 70 missions Wing Commander style. I think we think is about 20 hours of gameplay. It's pretty damn cool like I said, we're gonna have some we have an awesome cast and then you'll be spending time with them for the next.

So episode 2 is behind enemy lines which I think everyone that backed until like six million gets for free, and then episode three would be the year after that. So we're sort of thinking that we'll have each one of these each one of them is the equivalent of a huge triple A, you know Call of Duty or better because I mean we've got a much bigger campaign and it's cool and

So anyway I'm starting there. I'm going to shoot that. We're working you know really hard the UK guys heads down and we've got a whole bunch of other people in the German offices helping a lot on squadron 42 and other areas of... So Illfonic a lot of the FPS mechanics will go into squadron 42 stuff that we're doing for space here in L.A. is going into it and you know some of the you know animation and other aspects are also happening in austin for squadron 42.

So it's gonna be pretty cool but I'm going to be in the UK for the next almost three months. So basically we're starting shooting a couple of weeks from now but I've got to do prep also spend time with foundry 42 and then we'll shoot all the way through to about the end of June and will also be also doing some more motion capture and stuff like that and so but it's going to be fun. I'm really excited it's going to be you know cinematic great lots of movement so everyone that's a Wing Commander fan and wants the next generation Wing Commander I think is going to be very very happy with squadron 42 and what you'll get to play this year and then you'll have stuff to look forward to the next few years while we're busily finishing out the game which is you know something that we're going to be doing next year in terms of the persistent universe and all the rest of stuff.

So I think the idea is really just to sort of keep on building the universe and the world and also be releasing narrative stories for you to play and eventually we'll also be doing ones that aren't so, sort of, military focused like squadron 42. Maybe a sort of more kind of rogue Han Solo style story and stuff like that. This one's a pretty awesome, it's a pretty, pretty big storyline. Don't want to get into too much details but it's sort of the overall story arc was what the writer from sci-fi was referring to, who shouldn't have actually written down the article because I told her not to, but she seemed to forget that part but anyway. It's the overall arc of... That's why there's Behind Enemy Lines, it's the second episode. Anyway, enough of that, on to the questions.

Motto

« Reply #1015 on: September 03, 2017, 02:18:13 PM »
Would be a shame if that transcript were to be posted to reddit, as a reminder of what everyone paid for and what was coming in 2016.

You mean this thread?  :smuggo:

EDIT: WAUW, one of the first comments: Just because cultists don't like the facts and downvote him, doesn't make him wrong.

EDIT 2: Now that comment is gone again? Strange. Oh, do look in the comments please? Some guy suggested I'd wank on replies or something, so I replied to him. That comment might have been a little trolling. There can be quite some fun to be had by just taking everything literally  :D
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 03:42:45 PM by Motto »

StanTheMan

« Reply #1016 on: September 03, 2017, 02:32:02 PM »

Yes, we always have to keep in mind that 3.0 ≠ 3.0 ≠ 3.0! As the years go by, this tends to be forgotten.
  • The original, genuine, mammoth 3.0, the real deal everyone was looking forward to in 2016 (or was it 2015)… you know, the Jesus Patch and New Netcode Implementation – that Mother Of All Updates was already something entirely different to begin with.
  • The watered down 3.0 promised this year was like a 1:10 dilution of the original.
  • Then they stripped down and delayed more features in the months and weeks before GC, resulting in further dilution.
What will happen between now and when they actually release something under the disguise of 3.0, is anyone’s guess. However, according to the theory of homeopathy, the potency of the game will increase with each dilution. So, prepare for the worst… er, best!

and of course his TED lecture on homeopathy.

How people who are intellectually capable are easy to fool....
« Last Edit: September 03, 2017, 02:33:53 PM by StanTheMan »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1017 on: September 05, 2017, 05:56:04 PM »
Meanwhile over at SA, Dark Off put this together.

when i think about it Star Citizen is the next step of AAA development.
Instead of releasing disappointing end product to consumer you just keep on piling up the promises and fidelity. With soon being a keyword keeping people investing into the product.

each time raising the expectation of consumer.
the more they deliver the actual product the less they can sell the dream forward.

im fearing this is the lesson AAA will learn from star citizen

Think about it star citizen has always been close to finish. But what is actually getting finished is a trailer of next big feature delaying the overall process.

from in engine made 2012 sq42 trailer

to terra landing in 2013

to city landing in 2014

to almost complete nyx landing zone

to pupil planet at end of 2015

to sandworm in 2016

to facetracking in 2017

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1018 on: September 05, 2017, 06:24:26 PM »
The next video should read "Early 2018, to The Face Palm"
https://giphy.com/gifs/KY1qPW3R4KXSg/html5
« Last Edit: September 05, 2017, 06:27:32 PM by Spunky Munkee »

Aya Reiko

« Reply #1019 on: September 06, 2017, 02:28:24 AM »
The next video should read "Early 2018, to The Face Palm"
https://giphy.com/gifs/KY1qPW3R4KXSg/html5
At this point, I'd prefer "The Final Face-Plant".

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk