Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314115 times)

GaryII

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1170 on: September 19, 2017, 02:51:35 AM »
Well nobody's perfect!

Yes, and some people will learn this hard way...
 Like in CR and SC case:

His Wing Commander games were great...
but then downfall started...
 Freelancer...
 Hollywood...
 and finally SC...

He is now is like old NBA star:

1) mind says: Yes 
2) body says: can't do anymore

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 02:54:38 AM by GaryII »

Serendipity

« Reply #1171 on: September 19, 2017, 02:55:34 AM »
Well nobody's perfect!

Yes, and some people will learn this hard way...
 Like in CR and SC case:

His Wing Commander games were great...
but then downfall started...
 Freelancer...
 Hollywood...
 and finally SC...

Freelancer still being played to this day... hardly a failure. Imagine what he might have achieved if he'd been given more time and money...

Hollywood wasn't a total failure. Lucky number slevin and Lord of War were reasonably well received.

As for SC, imagine what he might acheive with more time and money than he's ever had before.

Motto

« Reply #1172 on: September 19, 2017, 03:16:31 AM »
Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

Okay. So you question everything Chris says and everything CIG does. And you question everything Derek writes and you question everything we debate here on this forum. You put all that together to come to a conclusion for yourself. And then that conclusion is to give Chris the benefit of the doubt and assume that Derek most likey is wrong?  :vince:

The only thing you should question, are your own conclusions. Try a week to live to the exact opposite view of your own conclusions. It'll probably open your eyes...
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:57:58 AM by Motto »

N0mad

« Reply #1173 on: September 19, 2017, 03:19:26 AM »
Freelancer still being played to this day... hardly a failure. Imagine what he might have achieved if he'd been given more time and money...

Hollywood wasn't a total failure. Lucky number slevin and Lord of War were reasonably well received.

Wing Commander was a success, I personally never played them because they seemed like cheap Star Wars knock offs and I was too busy playing X-Wing vs Tie Fighter to bother.

I think we can all agree that SC is Chris Robert's baby and he has absolute control over it. So here's the thing, has CR actually had a successful project since the Wing Commander Series? Bear in mind that in those days the scope of the game was constrained to what could fit on a 700Mb CD. Freelancer was a great game, but how much was CR involved after Microsoft stepped in to rescue the project - probably not very much, despite appearances. Again for the films, CR is listed as just a producer for these films, he's certainly not had a creative role making them either as director / editor or writer. On his IMDB his only writing / directing credits are for his games (Update - I forgot he wrote and directed the Wing Commander movie - sort of proves my point). I would argue that CR isn't some creative genius or great game programmer, he's a man with a dream, but that mostly involves copying ideas from everyone else and he's hopelessly out of his depth trying to create Star Citizen.

Also take a look at this, it's long but the guy has some pretty good points to make:

Update: I was barely half way through when I posted, but the guy cashed out of SC for over $7000 (see 28.10) !
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:12:59 AM by N0mad »

GaryII

« Reply #1174 on: September 19, 2017, 03:29:33 AM »

1) A lot of games still being played to this day...it does not change fact, that MS saved that game NOT CR...

2) Even his (and here he was not even a director...) best movies lost millions of $, so its a failure: 

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0425210/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_12

Box Office

Budget: $27,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: £1,074,550 (UK) (24 February 2006)
Gross: $22,494,487 (USA) (14 July 2006)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0399295/?ref_=nm_flmg_prd_14

Box Office

Budget: $50,000,000 (estimated)
Opening Weekend: $9,390,144 (USA) (16 September 2005)
Gross: $24,127,895 (USA) (28 October 2005)

And his directed Wing Commander: :D

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0131646/?ref_=nm_flmg_dr_5

Budget: $30,000,000 (estimated)
Gross: $11,576,087 (USA) (28 May 1999)
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 04:05:11 AM by GaryII »

Serendipity

« Reply #1175 on: September 19, 2017, 04:50:12 AM »
Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

Okay. So you question everything Chris says and everything CIG does. And you question everything Derek writes and you question everything we debate here on this forum. You put all that together to come to a conclusion for yourself. And then that conclusion is to give Chris the benefit of the doubt and assume that Derek most likey is wrong?  :vince:

The only thing you should question, are your own conclusions. Try a week to live to the exact opposite view of you own conclusions. It'll probably open your eyes...

Honestly, I think it's somewhere between blissful utopia and catastrophic collapse. They've obviously had their problems but it looks like they're beating them to me. Derek is just far too rabid a commentator to take seriously. It's impossible that every little thing they do or announce is fatally flawed in some way, yet Derek screams ELE or collapse or lying bastards every single time? It's just not realistic. He's been proven wrong on many occasions and been proven to be lying using hyperbole on many others, it's ruined his credibility.

When I first heard about Derek from him attaching himself to this project I pondered his message quite a lot. The longer it went on without any significant catastrophe the more it appeared BS. I don't need to go over all his failed predictions again I'm sure but there's 60 to 90 reasons in total.

Before SC I'd never heard of CR or DS so I've made my opinions of this project and the individuals involved just from reading and playing and listening. I've found Derek's methods to be severely lacking on many fronts. But that's just me. There are reasons he's less than popular amongst gamers you know.

I feel my eyes are open, I see quite well through them too.

N0mad

« Reply #1176 on: September 19, 2017, 04:58:12 AM »
They've obviously had their problems but it looks like they're beating them to me.

Care to suggest some examples ? (before we do)

Ghostmaker

« Reply #1177 on: September 19, 2017, 05:01:26 AM »

You mean after he'd missed deadline after deadline and gone over budget to the point where MS had to come in, buy the company, and kick him out?

Dude, seriously. Stop. Just stop. I liked Freelancer too, but I could tell it had been kludged together for release (particularly with the missions and single-player campaign). This is blatant fanboyism, not critical analysis, and all you're doing is confirming people's opinion of you as a shill.

GaryII

« Reply #1178 on: September 19, 2017, 05:09:33 AM »
Derek is just far too rabid a commentator to take seriously. It's impossible that every little thing they do or announce is fatally flawed in some way, yet Derek screams ELE or collapse or lying bastards every single time? It's just not realistic. He's been proven wrong on many occasions and been proven to be lying using hyperbole on many others, it's ruined his credibility.

I can agree that Derek is bit too dramatic, but in year 2017 is clear that he is right - SC project has major issues and promised game is impossible at this point...
So sooner or later Derek will hit correct SC failure date...   

Motto

« Reply #1179 on: September 19, 2017, 05:10:52 AM »
I feel my eyes are open, I see quite well through them too.

It's gonna be a real sight for you then, when the blinds fall off  :D

Serendipity

« Reply #1180 on: September 19, 2017, 06:49:58 AM »

You mean after he'd missed deadline after deadline and gone over budget to the point where MS had to come in, buy the company, and kick him out?

Dude, seriously. Stop. Just stop. I liked Freelancer too, but I could tell it had been kludged together for release (particularly with the missions and single-player campaign). This is blatant fanboyism, not critical analysis, and all you're doing is confirming people's opinion of you as a shill.

I've never played any of Chris' previous games. I'm not a fanboy.

Serendipity

« Reply #1181 on: September 19, 2017, 06:57:19 AM »
They've obviously had their problems but it looks like they're beating them to me.

Care to suggest some examples ? (before we do)

The state of the original 2.0 release compared to now. Orders of magnitude more stable.

Star Marine scale miscommunication. Whoops.

Landing on planetary bodies. Looking much better in videos than the first attempts last year.

Flight model tweeks have made it more fun to fly.

Animations have improved a lot from first FPS attempts.

It's almost like they've released an alpha product and are steadily improving most of it.

The biggy is, of course, the networking. Fuck knows what will happen there. They keep saying they can solve the problem of MMO at high fidelity in a similar way to how Dual Universe is doing it. Appears plausible to me.

N0mad

« Reply #1183 on: September 19, 2017, 07:22:03 AM »
Orders of magnitude more stable.
It crashed during the live GamesCom demo, and multiple times in the limited floor demo, so no, it's not stable. Not to mention Ramps of course.

Landing on planetary bodies. Looking much better in videos than the first attempts last year.
Yes, well that's just the thing, in videos. This is probably the one thing they will eventually get working, but you'll need a huge graphics card to make it run smoothly and there won't be anything to do. When CIG started on this quest for planets it was new and exciting, but we've had moons in Elite Dangerous and planets in NMS since then, so it's really nothing special now.

That's purely subjective. Just looking at the in-atmosphere flying during the GamesCom demo the flight model doesn't look at all realistic, ships seem to be able to pivot around in mid air, almost as though they were using the space flight model rather than one suitable for an atmosphere.

Really? The animations in the GamesCom live demo were janky as hell. An NPC got off a stool by walking through it, they climbed stairs by treating it as a ramp. The model twitched when changing physics grids etc.

It's almost like they've released an alpha product and are steadily improving most of it.
:vince:  Really? where is it?

The biggy is, of course, the networking. Fuck knows what will happen there. They keep saying they can solve the problem of MMO at high fidelity in a similar way to how Dual Universe is doing it. Appears plausible to me.
I agree !

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 07:24:44 AM by N0mad »

Serendipity

« Reply #1184 on: September 19, 2017, 08:13:36 AM »
Orders of magnitude more stable.
It crashed during the live GamesCom demo, and multiple times in the limited floor demo, so no, it's not stable. Not to mention Ramps of course.

Yes, well that's just the thing, in videos. This is probably the one thing they will eventually get working, but you'll need a huge graphics card to make it run smoothly and there won't be anything to do. When CIG started on this quest for planets it was new and exciting, but we've had moons in Elite Dangerous and planets in NMS since then, so it's really nothing special now.

That's purely subjective. Just looking at the in-atmosphere flying during the GamesCom demo the flight model doesn't look at all realistic, ships seem to be able to pivot around in mid air, almost as though they were using the space flight model rather than one suitable for an atmosphere.

Really? The animations in the GamesCom live demo were janky as hell. An NPC got off a stool by walking through it, they climbed stairs by treating it as a ramp. The model twitched when changing physics grids etc.

:vince:  Really? where is it?

I agree !

It didn't crash during Gamescom. That was 3.0 being played.

Not sure why you'll need a huge graphics card to load a procedural planetary body. It's not rendering anything beyond your vision. We'll find out soon enough.

Did you see the original animations from the very first implementation? Trust me, animations are much better.

Where is the alpha? Are you being silly? AC, PU, Star Marine etc. Alpha.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk