Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1364578 times)

N0mad

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1185 on: September 19, 2017, 09:23:56 AM »

It didn't crash during Gamescom. That was 3.0 being played.
Hang on, yes it did. Did you not watch Chris Robert's presentation - it was hilarious.

Not sure why you'll need a huge graphics card to load a procedural planetary body. It's not rendering anything beyond your vision. We'll find out soon enough.
All the show floor computers had GTX 1080s if memory serves, god knows how much RAM. But yes, we should find out soon.

Where is the alpha? Are you being silly? AC, PU, Star Marine etc. Alpha.
OK, using the definitions for generic software development then there's an argument that we're in alpha. But games development is sort of it's own thing and looking at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Alpha

First playable
The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[149] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements.[150] It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[151] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[150] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[153]

Alpha
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[153] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[154] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[153] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[154] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[152] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release,[153] but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

I'd argue that we're in pre-Alpha stage (after $160 million and 5 years). But, let's see what others think.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1186 on: September 19, 2017, 09:37:45 AM »
I disagree. With you, not Ghandi. Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

:lol: Would that be the "selective questioning" that you do here, whereby you question us, but not CIG?

Questioning everything is part of my personality, sorry.

Okay. So you question everything Chris says and everything CIG does. And you question everything Derek writes and you question everything we debate here on this forum. You put all that together to come to a conclusion for yourself. And then that conclusion is to give Chris the benefit of the doubt and assume that Derek most likey is wrong?  :vince:

The only thing you should question, are your own conclusions. Try a week to live to the exact opposite view of your own conclusions. It'll probably open your eyes...

You beat me to it.  :smuggo:
« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 09:40:28 AM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1187 on: September 19, 2017, 09:44:18 AM »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Motto

« Reply #1188 on: September 19, 2017, 09:45:25 AM »
All the show floor computers had GTX 1080s if memory serves, god knows how much RAM. But yes, we should find out soon.

I posted the specs earlier on one of the boards here. It was the latest Intel i7 on 32 GB with 2 (?) GTX 1080 Titans. Huge specs.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2017, 02:13:43 PM by Motto »

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1189 on: September 19, 2017, 09:47:50 AM »
OK, using the definitions for generic software development then there's an argument that we're in alpha. But games development is sort of it's own thing and looking at Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Video_game_development#Alpha

First playable
The first playable is the game version containing representative gameplay and assets,[149] this is the first version with functional major gameplay elements.[150] It is often based on the prototype created in pre-production.[151] Alpha and first playable are sometimes used to refer to a single milestone, however large projects require first playable before feature complete alpha.[150] First playable occurs 12 to 18 months before code release. It is sometimes referred to as the "Pre-Alpha" stage.[153]

Alpha
Alpha is the stage when key gameplay functionality is implemented, and assets are partially finished.[153] A game in alpha is feature complete, that is, game is playable and contains all the major features.[154] These features may be further revised based on testing and feedback.[153] Additional small, new features may be added, similarly planned, but unimplemented features may be dropped.[154] Programmers focus mainly on finishing the codebase, rather than implementing additions.[152] Alpha occurs eight to ten months before code release,[153] but this can vary significantly based on the scope of content and assets any given game has.

I'd argue that we're in pre-Alpha stage (after $160 million and 5 years). But, let's see what others think.

They were the ones calling it pre-Alpha. Since they are nowhere near Alpha yet, six years later, according to that chart, they are still in "First Playable". Which is hilarious indeed.

the_wolfmann

« Reply #1190 on: September 19, 2017, 09:53:01 AM »
I posted the specs earlier on one of the boards here. It was the latest Intel i7 on 32 GB with 2 (!) GTX 1080 Titans. Huge specs.

And yet, the capital ships' battle was a slideshow. I got a headache trying to watch that. That's probably due to the piss-poor networking but I suspect the high overall poly count had something to do with the poor performance as well. I wonder if the FrankenEngine does a good job at back-face culling the ships' interiors as that's easily another bazillion polys that can be optimized away during combat.

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1191 on: September 19, 2017, 01:27:29 PM »
I posted the specs earlier on one of the boards here. It was the latest Intel i7 on 32 GB with 2 (!) GTX 1080 Titans. Huge specs.

And yet, the capital ships' battle was a slideshow. I got a headache trying to watch that. That's probably due to the piss-poor networking but I suspect the high overall poly count had something to do with the poor performance as well. I wonder if the FrankenEngine does a good job at back-face culling the ships' interiors as that's easily another bazillion polys that can be optimized away during combat.

What's worse is that was on a frigging LAN!!!

Motto

« Reply #1192 on: September 19, 2017, 01:30:03 PM »
It was my understanding that even the devs themselves (have to) run the game (or most of it) via AWS?

Ah, found the Gamescom 2017 PC specs. Only 1 GTX 1080 Titan, but I think I saw somewhere mentioned they had pc's with 2 of them in it? Anyways, still much better than most of the backers will have

« Last Edit: September 19, 2017, 01:35:47 PM by Motto »

Motto

« Reply #1193 on: September 19, 2017, 01:53:08 PM »
So, just to stick it to Chris, I just purchased the whole 6 games bundle for 55 bucks from that oldest living #indiedev fossil to see if it will run on my Intel Core i7 5930K @ 3,5 GHz on 32 GB with a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GD5T OC :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1194 on: September 19, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
So, just to stick it to Chris, I just purchased the whole 6 games bundle for 55 bucks from that oldest living #indiedev fossil to see if it will run on my Intel Core i7 5930K @ 3,5 GHz on 32 GB with a MSI Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 4GD5T OC :D

:vince:

All those games will scream on the system. Guaranteed.

ps: Thanks!

premiumnugz

« Reply #1195 on: September 20, 2017, 02:25:18 PM »
Does anyone know what the purported "gamechanger" they keep referring to is going to be at the coming CitizenCon presentation? I'm trying to find information online but not having much luck.

nightfire

« Reply #1196 on: September 20, 2017, 02:45:15 PM »
Does anyone know what the purported "gamechanger" they keep referring to is going to be at the coming CitizenCon presentation?

They are going to change the game to Early Access  :D

Motto

« Reply #1197 on: September 20, 2017, 03:03:16 PM »
I'm guessing most people don't realise that they mean "gamechanger" literally. In 3.0 there will be a main menu that first will let you choose what module to load (Star Marine, Arena Commander, The Sims in Space) and then will let you select the level you wish to play. So you can change the game any time you like  :D

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1198 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:58 PM »
Does anyone know what the purported "gamechanger" they keep referring to is going to be at the coming CitizenCon presentation? I'm trying to find information online but not having much luck.

I thought the gamechanger (it was shite. we all watched) was at GC2017? I haven't heard any such thing for CitizenCon. Where did you read that?

Motto

« Reply #1199 on: September 20, 2017, 11:29:01 PM »
I read something similar on Reddit. Something about FOIP not being the gamechanger but yet to come at CC as confirmed by Lando. My best guess is that that is just pure speculation and hype creation because FOIP just can't be the gamechanger. Then again, that whole "gamechanger" thing was more fluff by Chris to rekindle the hypetrain and that whole FOIP blew up right in his face (pun intended)...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk