Author Topic: Star Citizen General BS  (Read 1314889 times)

Greggy_D

Re: Star Citizen - The Game
« Reply #1275 on: October 04, 2017, 07:10:39 PM »
 :lesnick: :sandance: :snoop:

Perfection.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1276 on: October 04, 2017, 07:53:30 PM »
I was talking about the huge cuts in content but if the peg fits loosely in that dry socket so be it.

the_wolfmann

« Reply #1277 on: October 05, 2017, 02:08:48 AM »
Oh man, you guys are cracking me up :D

Motto

« Reply #1278 on: October 05, 2017, 02:30:25 AM »
Crack with pun intended?

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1279 on: October 05, 2017, 06:48:23 AM »
I have played with Lumberyard a little (very little) when it first came out (effectively still Cryengine) and it became apparent that Cryengine is really good at making very pretty first person single player shooters, which is all that Crytek needed it to do.
Its engine was first and foremost designed to render a tropical island with an ocean, lakes and lots of vegetation.

A space ship combat game couldn't be farther from that.

They still stumble over the "Z coordinate < arbitary value" underwater shortcut hardcoded everywhere into the engine. Six years after they got it.

Ghostmaker

« Reply #1280 on: October 05, 2017, 09:48:42 AM »
Wanna know what makes me cross? It's thinking about the amount of money poured into this dumpster fire.

I can't help but think, 'God, why didn't that pile of cash wind up in someone else's hands? Harebrained Schemes? 3000AD? Heck, even CDProjekt Red probably wouldn't mind a $160 million infusion.'

:argh:

Backer42

• Refundian
« Reply #1281 on: October 05, 2017, 01:53:13 PM »
Budget-wise it is AA project gone horribly wrong. Nothing out of the usual in the gaming industry with its naturally high failure rate. Could have had happened to any other studio with Chris Roberts being forced on them.

Spunky Munkee

« Reply #1282 on: October 05, 2017, 02:04:14 PM »
He is the LAST person to be a project manager. He made all the wrong decisions and castrated all the experts in his organization who could have steered him straight. I believe that this is a primary reason why key people have left him. The loss of these people has hurt the organization.

FredBloggs

« Reply #1283 on: October 05, 2017, 05:11:38 PM »
He is the LAST person to be a project manager. He made all the wrong decisions and castrated all the experts in his organization who could have steered him straight. I believe that this is a primary reason why key people have left him. The loss of these people has hurt the organization.

It started going downhill since Wingman left CIG...

Motto

« Reply #1284 on: October 06, 2017, 04:18:23 AM »
The new laucher is here

N0mad

« Reply #1285 on: October 06, 2017, 04:26:25 AM »

the_wolfmann

« Reply #1286 on: October 06, 2017, 05:16:20 AM »
The new laucher is here

Is it happening??? :dance:

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1287 on: October 06, 2017, 05:38:42 AM »

The beta of the 3.0 pre-Alpha is on the way to Evocati  :supaburn:

Tweet storm starts here: https://twitter.com/dsmart/status/916274145444409344

Patch notes: https://pastebin.com/ns8vTSp4

The most hilarious part? Windows detects this 3.0 build as malware. So there's that. Apparently Microsoft is aware of the issue.

Here's the kicker. The notes read like the 3.0 roadmap. So until the build is actually released, no way to know WHAT actually works atm.

Performance is still abysmal and is worse than 2.6.3. You have to spawn on the other side of the planet with less people in order to get into a server properly.

FYI, RAM/VRAM usage on this Evocati build ---> 21GB / 11GB. I'm not making that up.

I am calling it now. Even though is the beta of a pre-Alpha (<---LOL!!), 3.0 is definitely looking like the MVP an early access. It's over. This is most definitely Freelancer 2.0, but with $160 million of backer money.

The latest burn-down ATV is hilarious. It shows just how inept and incompetent Chris is

"Erin, Performance is in the toilet on the latest build." - CIG Dev, AtV Oct 5, 2017

"Building games like this, you have to balance visual fidelity with gameplay and scope. You absolutely cannot have it all, and even if you do have it all, something will suffer. Either visual fidelity, or performance." - Derek Smart, July 6, 2015

Meanwhile, over at the tribe: https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/74l3gd/first_reports_of_evocati_being_out/

Pure chaos in Evocati:

« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 02:45:36 PM by dsmart »
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

Flashwit

« Reply #1288 on: October 06, 2017, 10:19:45 AM »
Ah good, this is what I've been waiting for. We'll get info from goons in Evocati right?

Once they get this out to backers at large this'll be the first time I actually launch the game in years. I'm sure there will be tons of changes since the last time I played! (lol)

dsmart

• Supreme Cmdr
  • Administrator
    • Smart Speak Blog
« Reply #1289 on: October 06, 2017, 10:37:14 AM »
Check my Twitter feed. I am reporting as stuff that I can report, comes in. I will be playing it myself later.
Star Citizen isn't a game. It's a TV show about a bunch of characters making a game. It's basically "This is Spinal Tap" - except people think the band is real.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk